Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
girlonfire

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by girlonfire » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Incubateus wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm on WIN and it looks like we can register for our classes... I thought we were assigned a 1L section.
DONT

You will screw up your WIN and piss off the registrar.

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 pm

girlonfire wrote:
Incubateus wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm on WIN and it looks like we can register for our classes... I thought we were assigned a 1L section.
DONT

You will screw up your WIN and piss off the registrar.
TITCR.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:36 pm

boom_cs wrote:Do many people transfer between 1L and 2L year?
I think about 5-10 (not sure exactly), with the same transferring in.

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 am

boom_cs wrote:Do many people transfer between 1L and 2L year?
Here is the most recent ABA report on attrition:

Academic Other Total Total %
1st year 0 6 6 4.0
2nd year 2 5 7 4.4
3rd year 0 2 2 1.2
4th year 0 0 0 0.0

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I really don't want to go through 45+ pages of discussion, so I would love if someone would help me. When do we get our sections/schedule? I need it for insurance reasons so I was wondering when past students got theirs? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 pm

ash0117 wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but I really don't want to go through 45+ pages of discussion, so I would love if someone would help me. When do we get our sections/schedule? I need it for insurance reasons so I was wondering when past students got theirs? Thanks!
May not be until the week before classes start. The school should be able to provide you with enrollment verification for insurance purposes.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
ash0117 wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but I really don't want to go through 45+ pages of discussion, so I would love if someone would help me. When do we get our sections/schedule? I need it for insurance reasons so I was wondering when past students got theirs? Thanks!
May not be until the week before classes start. The school should be able to provide you with enrollment verification for insurance purposes.

Thank you so much.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:30 pm

I think sections came out the last two years around the 1st week of August. If you log into WIN and look at your schedule for the fall semester, it'll show up there when it's ready. They are subject to change (though I don't know anyone who got changed to another section after they were initially assigned to a section).

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Incubateus wrote:I'll be moving down to WS in early August, I'm assuming before the school facilities become available. Does anybody have a recommendation on what gym to join?
I think I picked up my card early August and was able to use the gym before classes started.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:06 am

Anyone know when we can expect to hear about write-on?

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm

jsvaughn wrote:Are all our 1L exams in the usual essay format?

I thought that I may have read somewhere that there is multiple choice is also part of exams at Wake?
Most finals have a MC portion. My 1L finals were usually ~20 MC questions + ~2-3 essays. That's not always the case though. I can't remember exactly how many MC questions ConLaw had, but I want to guess that it was around 75. Instead of following the usual 2-3 somewhat lengthy essay format, my CivPro had like 10-15 miniature essays. It really just varies from prof to prof.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:37 am

YankeesFan wrote:Anyone know when we can expect to hear about write-on?
Last year, I got the email on Friday 7/15. But our write-on finished Memorial Day weekend, so we were a week ahead of you guys. But I would think soon.

Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 am

jsvaughn wrote:Are all our 1L exams in the usual essay format?

I thought that I may have read somewhere that there is multiple choice is also part of exams at Wake?
It really does vary by professor. My first semester, I had 2 exams with only essays, 1 with MC and essays, and 1 with MC, T/F, Short answer, and essays. My second semester, I had 1 with only essays, 2 with MC and essays, and 1 with MC, short answer, and essays.

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:25 am

jsvaughn wrote:I'll be starting this fall and I am planning on getting married sometime during the summer of 2014.

Could anyone give me the typical dates of summer jobs? Do they usually run right up to the end of school? Or are there at least a couple dead weeks where I could squeeze in a wedding and honeymoon?
First off, congratulations! Second, the average length is 10 weeks, and usually end near the beginning of August. But you could do less if you needed. So, you could easily have a wedding and honeymoon in August. Note, though, that if you make a journal or do some other activities, you'll need to be at school sometime during the week before classes start for training. Plus OCI starts in August.

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Business and IP Law or Law and Policy? Shoot!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Bulls wrote:Business and IP Law or Law and Policy? Shoot!
Business and IP if you're interested in that area. You can get on it either by grading on (top 20%) or by writing on.

Law and Policy is more broad. It's a newer journal (started just a few years ago by a couple law students). The only way to get on it is through the write on (at least at this point). Several of my friends on it complain though that it is more work than the other two journals.

LawyerMan

New

Post by LawyerMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Hello Demon Deacons,

I posted this on another thread but thought you guys might be able to help me, here is my situation:

I was just admitted off the wait-list at Fordham, but I have a situation. I have a 20k scholarship to Wake and my parents (WF alums) have graciously offered to pay for the rest - so I could leave Wake debt-free. I have no scholarship to Fordham and I would only receive help only for living expenses, the total COA would be around 150k (!!!!!). I can't see myself living in North Carolina, and working in New York has always been my dream.

Should I risk it and go to Fordham? Or just hustle at Wake, count my blessings, and figure a way to get to NYC after graduation?

Thanks in advance for the help.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:33 pm

LawyerMan wrote:Hello Demon Deacons,

I posted this on another thread but thought you guys might be able to help me, here is my situation:

I was just admitted off the wait-list at Fordham, but I have a situation. I have a 20k scholarship to Wake and my parents (WF alums) have graciously offered to pay for the rest - so I could leave Wake debt-free. I have no scholarship to Fordham and I would only receive help only for living expenses, the total COA would be around 150k (!!!!!). I can't see myself living in North Carolina, and working in New York has always been my dream.

Should I risk it and go to Fordham? Or just hustle at Wake, count my blessings, and figure a way to get to NYC after graduation?

well, FWIW, i chose wfu over fordham. But i have literally no desire to work in NYC.

in my opinion, if your parents are offering to pay the remainder at wake, take it. I'm from the tristate and sent some resumes back north last December in case I wanted to spend the summer at home, and I got a good amount of interviews out of it. My prior ties to the area were really effective in getting my foot in a couple of doors.
It's important to note that I ONLY applied to DA's, PD's, and public interest, so I can't speak for anything outside of that.

Generally, I'd take the money at WFU (which is what I did IRL). Coming out of LS with no debt might make you more flexible- and you could change your mind about where you want to live and work. HTH

LawyerMan

New

Post by LawyerMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 pm

girlonfire wrote:
LawyerMan wrote:Hello Demon Deacons,

well, FWIW, i chose wfu over fordham. But i have literally no desire to work in NYC.

in my opinion, if your parents are offering to pay the remainder at wake, take it. I'm from the tristate and sent some resumes back north last December in case I wanted to spend the summer at home, and I got a good amount of interviews out of it. My prior ties to the area were really effective in getting my foot in a couple of doors.
It's important to note that I ONLY applied to DA's, PD's, and public interest, so I can't speak for anything outside of that.

Generally, I'd take the money at WFU (which is what I did IRL). Coming out of LS with no debt might make you more flexible- and you could change your mind about where you want to live and work. HTH
Thanks for your reply, I'm leaning towards WF. It just seems to make the most sense. I figure being debt-free will open more doors than going to a school in the area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:25 am

jsvaughn wrote:
tstyler98 wrote: First off, congratulations! Second, the average length is 10 weeks, and usually end near the beginning of August. But you could do less if you needed. So, you could easily have a wedding and honeymoon in August. Note, though, that if you make a journal or do some other activities, you'll need to be at school sometime during the week before classes start for training. Plus OCI starts in August.
Thanks for the congratulation and the reply!

When does OCI occur this year?

We're thinking about August 9th, 2014 as our date which would be the second Saturday in August and after a week long honeymoon means I could be in WS on August 18th. Do you think that would be early enough for OCI?

Thanks for the help!
No problem. Always glad to help. :-)

You should be fine. OCI this year starts August 21st and runs through September 27th.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Any thoughts as to what banks are best to use? I have PNC accounts, but I don't know accessible everything will be once I'm down in WS. Should I transfer to a BB&T or other bank, or am I fine sticking with PNC?

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Incubateus wrote:Any thoughts as to what banks are best to use? I have PNC accounts, but I don't know accessible everything will be once I'm down in WS. Should I transfer to a BB&T or other bank, or am I fine sticking with PNC?
I like Wells Fargo, because they have ATM's scattered around town and there's a branch on campus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”