Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lishi

Silver

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by lishi » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:02 pm

If you have Walker you don't need choice of law. There will be 4 essays and you can pick three to write on. Only one is choice of law. If you pick that one, you're essentially asking for a lower grade. Pick the three that don't deal with Erie and just do everything else.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:07 pm

lishi wrote:If you have Walker you don't need choice of law. There will be 4 essays and you can pick three to write on. Only one is choice of law. If you pick that one, you're essentially asking for a lower grade. Pick the three that don't deal with Erie and just do everything else.
Excellent. Thanks. :P I guess Im somewhat scared that he is going to throw on a NC specific essay in addition to an erie question - so i was planning on learning choice of law. But with that advice, I will (maybe) learn erie after I have mastered everything else. What a ridiculous class....

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Yeah, I'm not advocating not learning it, but the other topics are much more important. Definitely master those first

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:36 am

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
lishi wrote:For Mad Dog just memorize memorize memorize.

If you need some of my old outlines and study sheets for that (and I haven't already given them to you) pm me.
PM sent. Thanks!
Snap, you are behind the 8-ball now. I hope you can catch up. Ive got approx 1h 45 minutes of stuff memorized to spit out on the exam. (Thats how long it takes me to type it out at least, and Im not a slow typer) It will probably get to 2 hours once I add all the choice of law crap. The past two days have been absolute hell. Time to type out PJ, venue, and notice..... :?
I'm actually able to get most of the stuff out now that I think I will need. I just find the thought of typing out some long response that doesn't really answer the question to be asking for a low grade, but everybody says to just type out everything you know and then go back in and answer the question so we'll see I guess. If you have 2 hours worth of stuff to type out, are you just planning on copying and pasting your "blurb" on personal jurisdiction, subject matter, etc. for each question that you answer? I guess I'm just confused on how this stuff generally works.

Also, do you guys feel that it is necessary to know/write down the history of everything (ex: how supplemental jurisdiction used to be ancillary and pendent, or the history of minimum purposeful contacts, etc.)?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
lishi wrote:For Mad Dog just memorize memorize memorize.

If you need some of my old outlines and study sheets for that (and I haven't already given them to you) pm me.
PM sent. Thanks!
Snap, you are behind the 8-ball now. I hope you can catch up. Ive got approx 1h 45 minutes of stuff memorized to spit out on the exam. (Thats how long it takes me to type it out at least, and Im not a slow typer) It will probably get to 2 hours once I add all the choice of law crap. The past two days have been absolute hell. Time to type out PJ, venue, and notice..... :?
I'm actually able to get most of the stuff out now that I think I will need. I just find the thought of typing out some long response that doesn't really answer the question to be asking for a low grade, but everybody says to just type out everything you know and then go back in and answer the question so we'll see I guess. If you have 2 hours worth of stuff to type out, are you just planning on copying and pasting your "blurb" on personal jurisdiction, subject matter, etc. for each question that you answer? I guess I'm just confused on how this stuff generally works.

Also, do you guys feel that it is necessary to know/write down the history of everything (ex: how supplemental jurisdiction used to be ancillary and pendent, or the history of minimum purposeful contacts, etc.)?
For maddog, I dunno, but I'd think not. I mean, is there even gonna be time? However, I can be sure, I've got Taha (thank goodness). I know for him, he wants no history and no policy (thank goodness)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:45 am

PirateCap'n wrote:

copy and paste will be my friend. then i will go back and add a couple of sentences of analysis to each question and maybe rearrange the format of each answer to tailor it more to the question. ive heard too many horror stories of people actually attempting to answer the questions his way and getting screwed, and too many stories of people dumping everything possible, copying and pasting, and getting solid As.

I would not worry about history, just what the rules are now.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:03 am

Don't worry about history and policy. Copy and paste.
moandersen wrote:ive heard too many horror stories of people actually attempting to answer the questions his way and getting screwed, and too many stories of people dumping everything possible, copying and pasting, and getting solid As.
QFT. This happened both ways to numerous people in my class.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 am

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

copy and paste will be my friend. then i will go back and add a couple of sentences of analysis to each question and maybe rearrange the format of each answer to tailor it more to the question. ive heard too many horror stories of people actually attempting to answer the questions his way and getting screwed, and too many stories of people dumping everything possible, copying and pasting, and getting solid As.

I would not worry about history, just what the rules are now.
That's pretty much my plan as well.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:51 pm

So I know the question has been asked previously, but I figured since a lot of the same people are frequenting this thread, time may have provided more information.

What's the job situation?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:44 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:So I know the question has been asked previously, but I figured since a lot of the same people are frequenting this thread, time may have provided more information.

From my unofficial poll, if you are top 1/3 you are in good shape. For whatever reason every person I asked was in top 1/3 and were doing alright.

However, career services has been pushing hard for us 1Ls to 'think outside of the box' and consider the 'versatility' of a JD. We have had mandatory class meetings every month, and they were all pretty depressing if you wanted a firm job upon graduation.

So Im guessing the job situation is similar to how most schools ranked 20-40 are doing.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:55 pm

moandersen wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:So I know the question has been asked previously, but I figured since a lot of the same people are frequenting this thread, time may have provided more information.

From my unofficial poll, if you are top 1/3 you are in good shape. For whatever reason every person I asked was in top 1/3 and were doing alright.

However, career services has been pushing hard for us 1Ls to 'think outside of the box' and consider the 'versatility' of a JD. We have had mandatory class meetings every month, and they were all pretty depressing if you wanted a firm job upon graduation.

So Im guessing the job situation is similar to how most schools ranked 20-40 are doing.
:shock: wow...

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 pm

If by "wow" you mean a career services office that is trying to be honest and actually help their students, then yes, I agree.

I think its a reflection on the economy, not Wake Forest itself. For instance, last year, Wake Forest beat out UNC in NLJ 250 placement. That means the only school in the state of North Carolina that placed better in terms of $$-jobs was Duke- a t14.

I like the CSO (so far)

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:If by "wow" you mean a career services office that is trying to be honest and actually help their students, then yes, I agree.

I think its a reflection on the economy, not Wake Forest itself. For instance, last year, Wake Forest beat out UNC in NLJ 250 placement. That means the only school in the state of North Carolina that placed better in terms of $$-jobs was Duke- a t14.

I like the CSO (so far)
I agree. Thus far, they're really not bad at all. They seem to be doing what they can to show folks the ropes as to what to do, so I guess that's really all you can ask for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:05 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:If by "wow" you mean a career services office that is trying to be honest and actually help their students, then yes, I agree.

I like the CSO (so far)
Yeah, I'm just surprised they are so honest and upfront about it all, which is a huge plus for wake. I just wish the truth (for all law schools) wasn't so scary :(

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 am

This may have already been addressed but i already got into wake and I'm looking to practice in Charlotte, do you place well there or does unc/duke dominate? I have extremely strong connections in Charlotte but i'm just trying to assess your placement.. Thanks in advance

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:23 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:This may have already been addressed but i already got into wake and I'm looking to practice in Charlotte, do you place well there or does unc/duke dominate? I have extremely strong connections in Charlotte but i'm just trying to assess your placement.. Thanks in advance
I don't know for sure, but I would think Wake places well in Charlotte. I don't think many Duke students stay in NC, so you're mostly competing with UNC and the other lower ranked law schools in the state. I think a lot of the firms in NC look for people who want to stay in NC, and the Career Services Office also emphasizes making connections with people because that is what will help you get a job (not just applying and interviewing in the traditional sense).

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:20 pm

When our grades are put up on WIN, will they be numerical or letter grades (i.e. A, B, C, or 90, 80, 70)? I assume that they will be numbers since the curve is an 85, but I'm just curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:22 pm

What are the job prospects like after graduation? Do you know anyone who graduated last year and recently took or passed the bar? What are they doing now?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:48 am

PirateCap'n wrote:When our grades are put up on WIN, will they be numerical or letter grades (i.e. A, B, C, or 90, 80, 70)? I assume that they will be numbers since the curve is an 85, but I'm just curious.
I'm pretty sure it is a numerical grade.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:18 pm

So this year I think the people in charge of the website have outsmarted us. The secret ways to check your grades are no longer available. I think we may have to wait till the end (aka kill me now). Grades are due Jan 5 so expect them the Friday before we start classes. Technology ruins lives.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:09 pm

=/ . Thanks for the news anyway

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Any chance anybody has heard anything as far as grades? I know chances are slim to none, but I figured I would check anyway.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm

The Registrar (which puts the grades in the system) is gone till January 4. I wouldn't expect any till next Friday

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm

lishi wrote:The Registrar (which puts the grades in the system) is gone till January 4. I wouldn't expect any till next Friday
O well......good to know I guess.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:24 pm

We are not going to get them insanely late, like mid to late january, are we? :shock: :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”