Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PirateCap'n

Silver

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:25 pm

tstyler98 wrote:Yes, very few people from Wake actually apply for Clerkships. While I don't know who from the 3L class actually applied, but I of the ones I know who did, they got a position. I think a lot of people think they couldn't get one, so they don't bother applying. I'm planning to apply for the 2013-2014 term, but I don't know anyone else yet who is.
I'm right there with you. Already sent out a few apps for off-plan clerkships and will be sending out others in the fall. I know of two 3Ls with clerkships -- one with a federal district court and one with a state supreme court. Those are just two people I know personally though. I haven't asked around to see how others are doing.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 am

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:Yes, very few people from Wake actually apply for Clerkships. While I don't know who from the 3L class actually applied, but I of the ones I know who did, they got a position. I think a lot of people think they couldn't get one, so they don't bother applying. I'm planning to apply for the 2013-2014 term, but I don't know anyone else yet who is.
I don't want to be douchey, but this is a little disingenuous and I don't want 0Ls to get the wrong idea. It is true that a relatively small portion of the class aggressively chases clerkships. However, implying that anyone who tries to get one can be successful is wrong. Really, really wrong.

We placed a tiny handful (as in, you can count on one hand) in D.Ct. clerkships in each of the last few years. This year, one person landed one COA interview- and failed to convert it into an offer. Article III jobs are extraordinarily tough to get out of Wake- top 10%/law review are pretty much pre-requisites. Wake also has an amazingly thin bench of alumni who are Article III judges.

State court clerkships, local magistrates, etc. are obviously much easier to snag- but these jobs (aside from state supreme courts) carry pretty much none of the prestige or subsequent job opportunities that 0Ls associate with the term "clerkship" as it's used on this site. And the pay is typically wretched at these lower-rung courts.

Just wanted to clarify these points. Keep calm and Red Bull on through finals, Worrellians.
Sorry if it came off that way. I didn't mean it that way. I'm not trying to imply that just anyone can get one if they apply (though I think more people could be successful if they applied). But I was trying to explain why, from my perspective, the numbers are so low. It's not because Wake students aren't successful, but because a lot of them don't apply in the first place (either because they don't want one or because they don't think they can get one).

And yes, certain clerkships are more prestigious, but it really depends on what you want to do afterwards. If you want local ties, a lower paying state court clerkship (which for NC would be with the NC Court of Appeals or Supreme Court) could be really good. If you want a national firm or out of the area, then a Federal clerkship would be better.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed May 02, 2012 1:46 am

[quote="Gail"][quote="SteelyDan"][quote="Gail"]Also, reason why WF doesn't have 2011 salaries is probably a combination of Wake students not being very good about reporting. Or not being very good at securing long term, well paying positions.

The reason 2011 salary stats aren't available yet is probably because they are not yet collected. After the rate of employment at graduation, the second most significant statistic is employed 9 months (or something like that) after graduation. They're barely a month and a half past that point, I am sure they will get them out soon.

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Sat May 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Anyone who has had Foy for K's...

Does he really just want an outline dump?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun May 06, 2012 10:10 am

Relientkate wrote:Anyone who has had Foy for K's...

Does he really just want an outline dump?
I dont know if I would call his exam an outline dump, but its pretty close to one. What I did when the exam started was write down all the topics we covered the entire semester (good faith, mistake, fraud, etc.) and for each essay I went down the list and wrote about any topic that was even remotely possible. The key is memorizing exactly the way he wrote down the elements on the board. I didnt cali the class, but I did end up with a 90+ grade.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed May 09, 2012 11:18 am

I'm a wretched human for posting this, but some of the 2L/3L grades are up on WIN.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:I'm a wretched human for posting this, but some of the 2L/3L grades are up on WIN.
Clerkship gunning? I prob wont look at my grades until my firm asks for an updated transcript.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Wed May 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Haven't been asked by my firm yet... And praying they never do...

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Wed May 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Stonewall wrote:Haven't been asked by my firm yet... And praying they never do...
+1. I have to look to see whether I even stand a chance for clerkships anymore, but I really hope neither of my summer firms asks for an updated transcript.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am

moandersen wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:I'm a wretched human for posting this, but some of the 2L/3L grades are up on WIN.
Clerkship gunning? I prob wont look at my grades until my firm asks for an updated transcript.
Your approach is definitely the way to go.

But hey, bright side- turns out I passed journal. There was some doubt about that considering my lulzworthy note submission.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Tue May 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the responses thus far. Had a quick question regarding the Business school moving out. I hadn't seen this anywhere else, and I noticed that they still offer the dual MBA/JD. Are they changing buildings? What's the deal with the overall impact it will have? and when will it happen?

Thanks

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Tue May 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Incubateus wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the responses thus far. Had a quick question regarding the Business school moving out. I hadn't seen this anywhere else, and I noticed that they still offer the dual MBA/JD. Are they changing buildings? What's the deal with the overall impact it will have? and when will it happen?

Thanks
They're just moving into a new building, I don't think it will have an impact on the joint degree program. The biggest change we'll see is more study space - they have half a floor of very nice study rooms for their "group projects". Also exciting - less douchebags in suits walking around making us feel inferior for our poor future earnings.

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:17 am

Incubateus wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks
It won't have any effect as far as the joint degree thing goes. I'm hoping that it means that we can get rooms that aren't 40F when the outdoor temperature is 80F. It makes me sad when I see tiny girls bring blankets to lecture to stave off the cold. Also, I'm tired of wearing sweaters in May just to keep from freezing to death during lecture.

SteelyDan wrote:
The biggest change we'll see is more study space - they have half a floor of very nice study rooms for their "group projects". Also exciting - less douchebags in suits walking around making us feel inferior for our poor future earnings.

And, we'll get two lounges, neither of which will have off-limits coffee or donuts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Wed May 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Here's a fun story: Remember that time we were scheduled for summer class, and we extended leases and purchased books and re-arranged summer plans because you know, we were registered for the summer class. And then, they cancelled the class a WEEK before it as supposed to begin?

tl;dr version: don't sign up for summer classes.

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Wed May 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Relientkate wrote:Here's a fun story: Remember that time we were scheduled for summer class, and we extended leases and purchased books and re-arranged summer plans because you know, we were registered for the summer class. And then, they cancelled the class a WEEK before it as supposed to begin?

Or told our summer employers that we'd only work half the summer so we could get some requirements out of the way during the second half?

Promissory estoppel, mofos.

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Wed May 23, 2012 3:48 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
Relientkate wrote:Here's a fun story: Remember that time we were scheduled for summer class, and we extended leases and purchased books and re-arranged summer plans because you know, we were registered for the summer class. And then, they cancelled the class a WEEK before it as supposed to begin?

Or told our summer employers that we'd only work half the summer so we could get some requirements out of the way during the second half?

Promissory estoppel, mofos.
This. If I've learned anything this year, it's that injustice can only be avoided by offering those classes again.

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Just kidding! They decided to re-offer the class since so many of us depended on it... so Wake did good on its word.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Fri May 25, 2012 8:51 am

Relientkate wrote:Just kidding! They decided to re-offer the class since so many of us depended on it... so Wake did good on its word.
WTF?! Is it because it was starting in a week? Or because you convinced them? Or you got more people to sign up?
I want mine back too!

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Sat May 26, 2012 1:55 pm

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Tue May 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Thu May 31, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm looking to start buying up some supplements for the fall. What are the recommendations? What did you use? I feel that, with the way I learn, a cursory understanding of where the course is going (or how it is structured) would be helpful to me. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Thu May 31, 2012 2:14 pm

Incubateus wrote:I'm looking to start buying up some supplements for the fall. What are the recommendations? What did you use? I feel that, with the way I learn, a cursory understanding of where the course is going (or how it is structured) would be helpful to me. Thanks.
I found the E&E's helpful. You won't necessarily be able to learn everything on your own, but as you said, having some background is useful. I tried my damndest to keep up with the PLS schedule (whatever the short one was, like 8 weeks), but realistically it's not possible. A lot of it depends on which profs you end up with also, particularly for crim.

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Thu May 31, 2012 3:38 pm

jsvaughn wrote:Anyone know anything about the Aspen condos? Any opinions on the safety of the neighborhood?
I'm in there now but moving next month. I had nothing against them but the girlfriend wanted somewhere a little nicer. I never had any safety concerns or anything like that and they are definitely quieter than the Crownes

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:26 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
Incubateus wrote:I'm looking to start buying up some supplements for the fall. What are the recommendations? What did you use? I feel that, with the way I learn, a cursory understanding of where the course is going (or how it is structured) would be helpful to me. Thanks.
I found the E&E's helpful. You won't necessarily be able to learn everything on your own, but as you said, having some background is useful. I tried my damndest to keep up with the PLS schedule (whatever the short one was, like 8 weeks), but realistically it's not possible. A lot of it depends on which profs you end up with also, particularly for crim.
No matter which professor you have, you should be good with looking at the E&E for Contracts and Civil Procedure, and probably Torts. Criminal Law is harder cause Professor Rose teaches different from any supplement. The E&E for Property was pretty good, and I would get the Chemirinsky supplement for Con Law. I wouldn't necessarily read the Con Law stuff ahead of time cause it's divided into 2 semesters (one in the Spring of 1L and another sometime before you graduate) and you won't cover everything (the book is over 1000 pages).

boom_cs

Bronze

Post by boom_cs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:06 am

Anyone know whether the curve shifts up or down from 1st to 2nd semester?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”