Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Wakelaw15

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by Wakelaw15 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:52 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
Wakelaw15 wrote:When do grades typically come out for 1Ls? Is after the new year a likely bet (exams started 11th final one was today).
Probably late in the afternoon on Friday, January 11.
I didn't believe this response, at first (thought you were joking) but now with no grades, I'm just hoping we get them before classes start in 10 days.

does anyone know (roughly) what average is needed for like top 10%/25%/33%. I know that median is 85.

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote: I didn't believe this response, at first (thought you were joking) but now with no grades, I'm just hoping we get them before classes start in 10 days.

does anyone know (roughly) what average is needed for like top 10%/25%/33%. I know that median is 85.
Look under "My Profile" on the intranet and see if they have the percentile sheet available. I'm not sure if 1Ls have access to it since you don't have a transcript yet. If not, PM me and I'll email you the one they gave 2Ls last spring.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
Wakelaw15 wrote:When do grades typically come out for 1Ls? Is after the new year a likely bet (exams started 11th final one was today).
Probably late in the afternoon on Friday, January 11.
I didn't believe this response, at first (thought you were joking) but now with no grades, I'm just hoping we get them before classes start in 10 days.
January 11th is actually a pretty reasonable estimate. Grades aren't officially due from professors until either January 6 or 9th (I think it was the 9th, but I'm not sure.) Usually, they don't put up grades until they have the vast majority of them in from professors, so, while we'll probably have them before school starts, it won't be much before then. Every year, a couple of grades aren't posted until well after classes begin again.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm

The last two years, grades were released for 1Ls on the Friday before classes start back up. For 2Ls and 3Ls, they trickle in at random based on when the professor turns them in and how fast the registrar's office inputs them. Grades are due on the 9th from the professors (though some turn them in late).

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:54 pm

tstyler98 wrote:The last two years, grades were released for 1Ls on the Friday before classes start back up. For 2Ls and 3Ls, they trickle in at random based on when the professor turns them in and how fast the registrar's office inputs them. Grades are due on the 9th from the professors (though some turn them in late).
no 1L grades yet, and its 4pm on Friday. I'm wondering if classes are going to start without them, since I assume they won't be uploaded after 5pm or during the weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:The last two years, grades were released for 1Ls on the Friday before classes start back up. For 2Ls and 3Ls, they trickle in at random based on when the professor turns them in and how fast the registrar's office inputs them. Grades are due on the 9th from the professors (though some turn them in late).
no 1L grades yet, and its 4pm on Friday. I'm wondering if classes are going to start without them, since I assume they won't be uploaded after 5pm or during the weekend.
It's miserable, isn't it?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:31 pm

It's quite possible some prof is dragging their feet and holding up the release. However, I do remember grades coming out late in the afternoon, if that is any help.

Unfortunately, once you get your grades the stress doesnt go away. If you did well, you have the stress of continuing to do well knowing that the pack will most definitely catch up second semester. If you didnt do well, you have the stress of poor job prospects and making up ground. Law school is a grind 1L year.

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

jsvaughn wrote:anyone know how to calculate class rank?

the percentile sheet on the intranet isnt coming up
Not possible without knowing everyone else's GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:18 pm

What's the cut off for top 1/3 and top 40%?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Roughly...

Top 10% - 91
Top 25% - 88.5
Top 33% - 87.5

Someone with a better memory feel free to correct me.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OzyM

New

Post by OzyM » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:43 am

I'm going to the accepted students day on the 15th, and I plan on getting in to town the 14th. Is there a particular bar-scene that is favored by the law/graduate students that would be worth checking out to get a feel for the place?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:12 pm

OzyM wrote:I'm going to the accepted students day on the 15th, and I plan on getting in to town the 14th. Is there a particular bar-scene that is favored by the law/graduate students that would be worth checking out to get a feel for the place?
There are a bunch of bars that the law students go to. There is the Old Winston Social Club, Opera House, Tates, and Finnigan's Wake. There are more, but I'm drawing a blank right now. Thursday nights also are "Bar Review" nights, which is where the law school picks a particular bar for everyone who wants to to meet up. An email comes out earlier in the week letting us know which one it is. If you PM me that Weds., I'll let you know which bar it is.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:56 am

wow what a great thread. thank you all.

BBB

New

Post by BBB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Can I ask what seems to be a silly question? Why does it seem to be standard procedure to stay in the state where you went to law school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm

BBB wrote:Can I ask what seems to be a silly question? Why does it seem to be standard procedure to stay in the state where you went to law school?
Alumni and reputation. You are a known quantity in a way. If those making the hiring decisions know and respect your school (or better yet, went there themselves), you stand a better chance.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 am

BBB wrote:Can I ask what seems to be a silly question? Why does it seem to be standard procedure to stay in the state where you went to law school?
Unless you go to a T14 with national reach, it is best to go to a school where you want to practice. As was said, alums often stay in the area and are very helpful. And the schools reputation is strongest in the schools region.

LaurenAyn

New

Post by LaurenAyn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 am

Hello everyone!
I've been accepted to Wake with a great scholarship offer ($38K/yr) and am seriously considering it! I haven't visited Winston-Salem before but will be going to the Open House soon to get a feel of the campus. I was wondering though - would a "left-leaning" student such as myself (i'd say i have a rather eclectic style; i'm into alternative-type stuff, enjoy advocating for progressive issues, love nature, and frequent the underground music scene) feel out of place at WF? From what I've read, the student body is pretty evenly split conservative/liberal, but I'm not from the south and went to a large, diverse and pretty liberal undergrad school (UMD), so I just want to make sure I wouldn't be the only person sporting some tie-dye now and then...or at least that nobody would judge me for it. :)
Thanks!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:28 am

LaurenAyn wrote:Hello everyone!
I've been accepted to Wake with a great scholarship offer ($38K/yr) and am seriously considering it! I haven't visited Winston-Salem before but will be going to the Open House soon to get a feel of the campus. I was wondering though - would a "left-leaning" student such as myself (i'd say i have a rather eclectic style; i'm into alternative-type stuff, enjoy advocating for progressive issues, love nature, and frequent the underground music scene) feel out of place at WF? From what I've read, the student body is pretty evenly split conservative/liberal, but I'm not from the south and went to a large, diverse and pretty liberal undergrad school (UMD), so I just want to make sure I wouldn't be the only person sporting some tie-dye now and then...or at least that nobody would judge me for it. :)
Thanks!
You'll fit in just fine, we have a Whole Foods nearby and plenty of yoga studios. But seriously, you'll probably get along with the faculty better than most students, and even those of us who are a bit more conservative enjoy the friendly debate. While the student population is pretty evenly split, the progressives are somewhat more outspoken. We have a lot of student organizations (ACS, Environmental Law) that you might enjoy.

Congrats on the scholarship, that's a great offer! Your tour at ASD will likely be given by a TLS'er, we're happy to answer any questions there too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
LaurenAyn wrote:Hello everyone!
Thanks!
You'll fit in just fine, we have a Whole Foods nearby and plenty of yoga studios. But seriously, you'll probably get along with the faculty better than most students, and even those of us who are a bit more conservative enjoy the friendly debate. While the student population is pretty evenly split, the progressives are somewhat more outspoken. We have a lot of student organizations (ACS, Environmental Law) that you might enjoy.

Congrats on the scholarship, that's a great offer! Your tour at ASD will likely be given by a TLS'er, we're happy to answer any questions there too.
+1 - As far as being a "left leaning" student, I can relate. I think it's pretty evenly split, and most of the professors are "left-leaning." Overall, the students are congenial and respectful, even in debates or when discussing differences. And the school seems to have really tried to increase diversity with this year's 1L class. I think it is a real priority in the upcoming years. The undergrad is NOT diverse, however.

To add to this, there have apparently been some decent alternative and indie bands downtown (I wouldn't know, since I'm not really into that scene). I mean, obviously it's not NYC, but it's not in the middle of the corn fields either. There are lots of nature opportunities close by, including Pilot Mountain not too far away. And there is what they call "urban hiking" (i.e. nature trails especially in the Bethabara area) that are okay.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03 pm

I went to ASD this week and really loved the school. I have a question for 2Ls/3Ls in particular. My main concern is the portability of a Wake degree. I'm from Florida and, ideally, would like to practice back home. Would returning to FL with be a difficult task coming from Wake? Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious about Wake's drop in NLJ250 placement from around 15% to about 9 %. Does it seem like things should be starting to pick up now? Wouldn't those #'s be more representative of the 2010/11 economy? Thanks!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:43 pm

slawww wrote:I went to ASD this week and really loved the school. I have a question for 2Ls/3Ls in particular. My main concern is the portability of a Wake degree. I'm from Florida and, ideally, would like to practice back home. Would returning to FL with be a difficult task coming from Wake? Thanks!

ETA: I'm also curious about Wake's drop in NLJ250 placement from around 15% to about 9 %. Does it seem like things should be starting to pick up now? Wouldn't those #'s be more representative of the 2010/11 economy? Thanks!
We have a bunch of Florida people who plan on going back and I don't think they're too worried about it. Really anywhere in the Southeast you'll be OK. If you'd said California it might have been cause for concern.

As far as placement, nearly any school you look at will still be down. The market is crap and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. I would hope that 3 years from now when you're ready to graduate things will have turned around. Of course, that's how I tried to rationalize it to myself two years ago and things are still shit, so you're taking a gamble going to law school at all.

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm a 1L. On the big law placement, part of that is class size (my class is 124 and I think the previous year is about 50 people bigger). Basically, my sense is that every year about 15-18 people get big law.

If I were you I would look into the FL issue. Find Fl firms where you want to work and see if they have any wake alums from the past few years. I could be wrong, but I don't think there will be any FL employers at OCI, so what you should research is how hard it will be to get interviews there. Our biggest placement is NC, and next two (which are much lower) are Va/Dc and NYC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”