Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PirateCap'n

Silver

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Glad to know that some grades are up. Sad to know that my blackberry won't let me get to that part of WIN :(

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:14 pm

wake does grades a little differently i guess....

happy with my grades except for one extreme outlier. wtf!!! thanks for screwing me over hardcore Ks. :cry:

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 pm

moandersen wrote:wake does grades a little differently i guess....

happy with my grades except for one extreme outlier. wtf!!! thanks for screwing me over hardcore Ks. :cry:
I can't complain either. Pretty happy with mine as well. (Now that I am able to check them on a computer instead of my Blackberry).

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:08 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

I can't complain either. Pretty happy with mine as well. (Now that I am able to check them on a computer instead of my Blackberry).
hah while Im happy with all my other grades, Im definitely complaining because of my one super low grade - which totally dropped me around 20% in class rank. Law school is brutal. Got to make up for it this semester.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 pm

moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

hah while Im happy with all my other grades, Im definitely complaining because of my one super low grade - which totally dropped me around 20% in class rank. Law school is brutal. Got to make up for it this semester.

Do you have all your grades posted? Were you given a rank?

My section only has 3 out of 4 of the substantive class grades posted.

I'm going crazy, I should be happy with what I have so far... but until I find out my rank... WHAT IF IM NOT A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!??!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:25 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
moandersen wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Do you have all your grades posted? Were you given a rank?

My section only has 3 out of 4 of the substantive class grades posted.

I'm going crazy, I should be happy with what I have so far... but until I find out my rank... WHAT IF IM NOT A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!??!!
All of my section's grades are posted, but there still isn't a class rank. I assume that they won't be able to give us a rank until all of the sections have their grades in.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:31 pm

All of my section's grades are posted, but there still isn't a class rank. I assume that they won't be able to give us a rank until all of the sections have their grades in.
I mean thats what I figured, but moanderson said "dropped me around 20% in class rank." Was just wondering how he came to that conclusion.

Margo1020

New

Post by Margo1020 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 pm

FYI - Class rank will come out sometime in the next two weeks. The Registrar's office will let you know when you can pick up your printed transcript with rank.

While grades can help you with 1L firm jobs, they are not everything. Just review your exams if your professor allows and do your best to improve next semester (or keep up the good work if you did well).

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
I mean thats what I figured, but moanderson said "dropped me around 20% in class rank." Was just wondering how he came to that conclusion.
I was just speculating by looking at how numerical averages correlated to class rank in the past. sorry for the confusion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:50 am

3.74,165 .. in any experiences you have heard about or personal ones.. do these numbers get money at Wake this late in a cycle? or at all if it were earlier? I'm very interested in attending if this is the case

LongMan

New

Post by LongMan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 pm

I got admission from Wake Law in Nov,and then I retook the LSAT in Dec,and got 164,hoping to get schorlarship from Wake Law. Because I was very poor,but I am very eager to attend Wake Law, is there any hope I could get full schorlarship from Wake? What I should do next?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 pm

LongMan wrote:I got admission from Wake Law in Nov,and then I retook the LSAT in Dec,and got 164,hoping to get schorlarship from Wake Law. Because I was very poor,but I am very eager to attend Wake Law, is there any hope I could get full schorlarship from Wake? What I should do next?
Unless you're an URM, you won't get a full-ride. Depending on your GPA, you could get between $18-25,000.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:47 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:3.74,165 .. in any experiences you have heard about or personal ones.. do these numbers get money at Wake this late in a cycle? or at all if it were earlier? I'm very interested in attending if this is the case
Lawschoolnumbers should probably give you a pretty good idea of that if you want to check out previous cycles on there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:06 pm

moandersen wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
I was just speculating by looking at how numerical averages correlated to class rank in the past. sorry for the confusion.
um, how did numerical average correlate to class rank in the past?

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Take this for what it's worth, because it's based on old data, but if it holds roughly true to form, then the top 10% should be somewhere around a 90. Looking at this data, though, I kind of doubt the accuracy based on what I have heard from people so far about their grades. If you look through there, you can get plenty of info about Wake, including the grade breakdowns.

http://www.bcgsearch.com/pdf/BCG_Law_Sc ... e_2009.pdf

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:22 pm

placencia wrote:Take this for what it's worth, because it's based on old data, but if it holds roughly true to form, then the top 10% should be somewhere around a 90. Looking at this data, though, I kind of doubt the accuracy based on what I have heard from people so far about their grades. If you look through there, you can get plenty of info about Wake, including the grade breakdowns.

http://www.bcgsearch.com/pdf/BCG_Law_Sc ... e_2009.pdf

The law school’s policy suggests the following grade distribution guidelines to teachers of first-year courses:

Minimum Grades Required
Minimum grade required to fall within the top 10% of the class 89.9
Minimum grade required to fall within the top 25% of the class 87.5
Minimum grade required to fall within the top 33% of the class 86.9
Minimum grade required to fall within the top 50% of the class 85.2
Minimum grade required to fall within the top 75% of the class 82.8

Seems legit to me. A separate source put the graduating class of 2009 at similar benchmarks (about .5-.9% higher).

*patiently waits for 2L to confirm/deny*

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:40 pm

My point is that these grades are for graduation, not for the first semester. What this means is a couple of things. First, that after 5 more semesters, the chance of statistical normalization is a lot better. Thus, right now there are likely a lot more outliers than there will be later. Second, I think I read somewhere that the second and third year grades are weighted more heavily than first year. If that is actually true, then what you may find is that next year's courses give grades more clustered around 85, which could shrink the standard deviations.

I'm speaking anecdotally based on my conversations with others, but I have a hard time believing the breakdowns right now based on the grades I have heard from fellow students, unless my sampling is just a really unique group.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:45 pm

The law school’s policy suggests the following grade distribution guidelines to teachers of first-year courses:

Minimum Grades Required

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:46 pm

placencia wrote:My point is that these grades are for graduation, not for the first semester. What this means is a couple of things. First, that after 5 more semesters, the chance of statistical normalization is a lot better. Thus, right now there are likely a lot more outliers than there will be later. Second, I think I read somewhere that the second and third year grades are weighted more heavily than first year. If that is actually true, then what you may find is that next year's courses give grades more clustered around 85, which could shrink the standard deviations.

I'm speaking anecdotally based on my conversations with others, but I have a hard time believing the breakdowns right now based on the grades I have heard from fellow students, unless my sampling is just a really unique group.

2nd and 3rd year used to be weighed more heavily. They no longer are.

ckoz11

New

Post by ckoz11 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:55 pm

i cannot speak specifically to wake, but at two other schools that i have more detailed information on the cutoffs for certain percentiles go up as a class moves through law school (example class of 2010 at emory cutoff for top 1/3: After 1L: 3.35, after 2L: 3.41, after 3L: 3.43, (disclaimer: these are approximations from what i can remember from the past 3 years of the grading policy release). This is mostly due to liberalization of class curve limitations during 2L and 3L years after there is strict 1L curve enforcement. Some professors will give higher grades for 2 and 3L classes. Also, there are classes with smaller sample sizes (seminars etc.) where it would be impractical to apply a standard curve to the class.

From my experience, grade cutoffs after 1L are marginally lower than what the grade cutoffs will be for graduation. Im not saying that this applies to wake, but its just one point of view.
Last edited by ckoz11 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NarwhalPunter

New

Post by NarwhalPunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:The law school’s policy suggests the following grade distribution guidelines to teachers of first-year courses:

Minimum Grades Required

I will pray that this is true. If so, cartwheels will ensue the day that rank is released.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Margo1020

New

Post by Margo1020 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm

From Wake's info on http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/

MINIMUM GRADE REQUIRED TO ATTAIN (Based on May 2009 graduation class)
Top 10%: 90.6
Top 25%: 88.6
Top 33%: 87.8
Top 50%: 86.3
Top 75%: 84.2

So this would be for a 3L, but it's probably not too far off for 1Ls. I'd guess 1L numerical requirements would be slightly higher.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Margo1020 wrote:From Wake's info on http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/

MINIMUM GRADE REQUIRED TO ATTAIN (Based on May 2009 graduation class)
Top 10%: 90.6
Top 25%: 88.6
Top 33%: 87.8
Top 50%: 86.3
Top 75%: 84.2

So this would be for a 3L, but it's probably not too far off for 1Ls. I'd guess 1L numerical requirements would be slightly higher.

1L requirments would be lower, wouldn't they? 2L and 3L years the curve is not as strictly adhered to, and for smaller classes, a curve is not mandated. If everyone has better grades, then the requirements should be higher.

Hence the top 50 is 86.3%, not 85%.

Margo1020

New

Post by Margo1020 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
1L requirments would be lower, wouldn't they? 2L and 3L years the curve is not as strictly adhered to, and for smaller classes, a curve is not mandated. If everyone has better grades, then the requirements should be higher.

I think the top 10% as a 1L was 91-92 and top 25% was slightly higher as well. But for the rest you're right.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Margo1020 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

I think the top 10% as a 1L was 91-92 and top 25% was slightly higher as well. But for the rest you're right.
Ty for Info =)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”