Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Relientkate

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by Relientkate » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Incubateus wrote:So our sections just came out. Can anyone tell me about these professors (Suzanne Reynolds, Kami Simmons, Sue Grebeldinger, Mike Green, and/or Luellen Curry)? I have looked on ratemyprofessor and their faculty bios, but what should I expect? Thanks
I had Grebby for Civ Pro 2. She has high expectations and she's very type A, but she tells you exactly how she wants you to take her exam. Put in the work and you'll be fine.

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:Is it necessary to buy supplements, and will the professor tell you which one(s) to use, or is it feasible to just use the assigned books?
The professor may make a recommendation in the syllabus, during the first few days of class, or you can always ask. Who do you have? We can probably make some recommendations, and you can usually never go wrong with the E&E's.

The Contracts E&E is awesome, IMO.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Any recommendations on golf courses that won't break the bank?

Assuming that I have any time to play
Reynolds Park is a decent city course that is about 25-30/person w/ cart. Winston Lakes is cheaper city course, but is not as well maintained and incredibly unforgiving. Tanglewood has two courses, but only consider the Championship course since the other one gets neglected. It is a little pricier though (relatively). Supposedly Salem Glen got new management and isnt the dump it was a couple years ago when I went, so you might want to check that place out as well if you find a deal. Golf in the w-s area is pretty affordable and you should find deals for around 30 bucks for 18 w/ cart.
So our sections just came out. Can anyone tell me about these professors (Suzanne Reynolds, Kami Simmons, Sue Grebeldinger, Mike Green, and/or Luellen Curry)? I have looked on ratemyprofessor and their faculty bios, but what should I expect? Thanks
Ive had a couple of those professors, but don't feel comfortable talking about them since I'm not really anonymous and WF admins/staff lurk TLS. PM me if you really want to know.
What should I be expecting to pay for books and E&Es?

I just added everything up going off the used prices listed on Amazon and came up with $712. Seems high to me or is that about right?
Thats not a bad number at all. I bought everything my 1L fall semester and it came out to around 1k. What a waste of money in retrospect...
Is it necessary to buy supplements, and will the professor tell you which one(s) to use, or is it feasible to just use the assigned books?
Supplements are definitely not necessary but they are pretty good tools to use to gain a better understanding if the prof is not clear. In some of my classes my supplements were pointless, in others they were a lifesaver. Some profs dont think you need supplements for their class but others will give suggestions. If you have a prof that wont help you out, just post here and Im sure you will get a ton of suggestions specific for that prof.

GL 2Ls with OCI. I worked in Charlotte this summer, so if you have any questions about an interview with a Charlotte office feel free to send me a PM with questions.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:Is it necessary to buy supplements, and will the professor tell you which one(s) to use, or is it feasible to just use the assigned books?
If you don't want to buy the E&Es and other supplements, you can borrow them from the library. They are behind the circulation desk and you can check them out for 4 hours at a time (but have to keep them in the library). I did that with a few my 2L year and I never had a problem with one not being available.

I bought supplements my 1L year. Some were really useful, while others weren't as much. If you want to buy them, check out Half.com or Amazon and get them used. Also, there is a book exchange on WIN where people sell books. You can find it by clicking "Info Central."

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Particularly with the E&Es, the older editions are usually just as good as the new ones. You can get a whole set of older used ones for maybe $30 on Amazon. Don't bother with them for Crim or Con Law... Con you'll get Chemerinsky (seriously, I would have failed w/o chemmy)... and crim is pointless because the professors all teach completely different material.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:24 pm

SteelyDan wrote:Particularly with the E&Es, the older editions are usually just as good as the new ones. You can get a whole set of older used ones for maybe $30 on Amazon. Don't bother with them for Crim or Con Law... Con you'll get Chemerinsky (seriously, I would have failed w/o chemmy)... and crim is pointless because the professors all teach completely different material.
For Wright, I used Dressler, who has a supplement book and he has an audio lecture segment. Both were very helpful to me.

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Just got an email from Ann Gibbs. Did anyone get a copy of Picking Cotton? I didn't.

And thanks for the answers above re: supplements!

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:59 am

So... finally back on TLS after a LONG hiatus. I forgot how much stress TLS added to my life until I ended up on the Employment boards. Wow. I'm glad we have a nice little haven here :)

I saw the past comments about getting a study carrel. After the TA's are all assigned theirs, is there some time where the doors swing open and it's a free-for-all for the rest of the 2L/3Ls to go find and claim a carrel or what? After being part of the unlucky gigantic class last year, I'd really like to have a desk in Worrell that I can call my own. (Especially since we were all promised one when I came to ASD.)

Now, back to figuring out mass mailings....

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:17 am

leidice wrote:So... finally back on TLS after a LONG hiatus. I forgot how much stress TLS added to my life until I ended up on the Employment boards. Wow. I'm glad we have a nice little haven here :)

I saw the past comments about getting a study carrel. After the TA's are all assigned theirs, is there some time where the doors swing open and it's a free-for-all for the rest of the 2L/3Ls to go find and claim a carrel or what? After being part of the unlucky gigantic class last year, I'd really like to have a desk in Worrell that I can call my own. (Especially since we were all promised one when I came to ASD.)

Based on what they did last year, you don't really "claim" a carrel unless you're a TA (or one of the other few people who might have one assigned). You just have to take whatever is available each day. Here is part of Dean Gibbs' email from June of 2011 explaining it:

"[W]e will no longer be able to assign individual carrels to each student. There will be 200 carrels available for daily use. While you will not be able to 'claim' a carrel permanently, there will be more than adequate carrel space to accommodate anyone choosing to study in a carrel. Journals will be assigned a carrel to use throughout the year, as well as TAs working with the LAWR courses."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:41 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
leidice wrote:So... finally back on TLS after a LONG hiatus. I forgot how much stress TLS added to my life until I ended up on the Employment boards. Wow. I'm glad we have a nice little haven here :)

Based on what they did last year, you don't really "claim" a carrel unless you're a TA (or one of the other few people who might have one assigned). You just have to take whatever is available each day. Here is part of Dean Gibbs' email from June of 2011 explaining it:

"[W]e will no longer be able to assign individual carrels to each student. There will be 200 carrels available for daily use. While you will not be able to 'claim' a carrel permanently, there will be more than adequate carrel space to accommodate anyone choosing to study in a carrel. Journals will be assigned a carrel to use throughout the year, as well as TAs working with the LAWR courses."
There are carrels on all 4 levels of the library. The ones in the basement or on the 1st floor are great because they're usually quieter. Whereas the ones on the 2nd and 3rd floors are often louder because of the noise coming from the rotunda/entrance area. I had my [assigned] carrel my 1L year on the 1st floor and loved it. My assigned carrel last year as a TA was on the 3rd floor and there were often times when there was a lot of noise and other distractions, but it's still possible to get work done.

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:59 pm

How are the sections determined, and is there a best section to be in (in terms of professors you get)?

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:How are the sections determined, and is there a best section to be in (in terms of professors you get)?
randomly & i dont think so.

Each section has its pros and cons. I wouldnt think any was better than another. You'll be lucky (IMO) if you get Wright for crimlaw and Davis for K.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 am

Wakelaw15 wrote:How are the sections determined, and is there a best section to be in (in terms of professors you get)?
I think section assignments were determined randomly but based on a gpa/lsat type bell curve. (Therefore, no section stacking for those with scholarships)

From my observations last year, it seemed like each section was pretty equal in its workload difficulty. One section might have had it tough for civ pro but easy on contracts, while another had easy torts but difficult contracts. Basically this means that one section didn't get all the tough profs and one section didn't get all the easy ones, so it was pretty much fair all around. Also, peoples' opinions on the profs can differ greatly. girlonfire might love Davis (and for good reason -- his intelligence is almost superhuman), but preparing for and sitting in Davis' class gave me anxiety.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:48 pm

leidice wrote:
I think section assignments were determined randomly but based on a gpa/lsat type bell curve. (Therefore, no section stacking for those with scholarships)

From my observations last year, it seemed like each section was pretty equal in its workload difficulty. One section might have had it tough for civ pro but easy on contracts, while another had easy torts but difficult contracts. Basically this means that one section didn't get all the tough profs and one section didn't get all the easy ones, so it was pretty much fair all around. Also, peoples' opinions on the profs can differ greatly. girlonfire might love Davis (and for good reason -- his intelligence is almost superhuman), but preparing for and sitting in Davis' class gave me anxiety.
Oh, it gave me anxiety. Like, nerve-ruining, hand-shaking, hiding behind RelientKate style anxiety. But I still loved him hahahha it was like Stockholm Syndrome

ksllaw

Bronze

Post by ksllaw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:50 pm

What have the job prospects been like for Wake law grads from what you guys have seen lately?

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:01 pm

How does a 1L find 2L/3Ls who might be interested in selling a hornbook?

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:How does a 1L find 2L/3Ls who might be interested in selling a hornbook?
Check the book exchange on WIN. Honestly, most of us don't buy hornbooks, they're way too in-depth for what you need. Check them out of the library if there's a topic you really want to read about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:How does a 1L find 2L/3Ls who might be interested in selling a hornbook?
If by hornbook you mean an E&E or one of Gilbert's supplements let me know. I have a supplement or two for every 1L class that I wouldn't mind parting with for cheap.

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 am

Oh, and here's some unsolicited advice on the supplements...

Around late November, everyone's going to start going supplement crazy. For some reason, people think that whoever owns the most supplements is going to have the highest grade. Dooon't fall into this trap. Find one good supplement, and just stick with that one. You really don't need more than one. A lot of people last semester just confused the hell out of themselves with all the various sources, and had to play catch-up to figure out what the prof really wanted.

If you are going to be doing a lot of road travel over fall/thanksgiving break, I also recommend the Sum and Substance audio cds for Civ Pro and Crim Law.

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

Does anyone have a good outline for leg ad w/ Shapiro? Food or beer will be provided for compensation...

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Relientkate wrote:Does anyone have a good outline for leg ad w/ Shapiro? Food or beer will be provided for compensation...
Looks like there's one on TWEN that should be pretty good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Incubateus wrote:So our sections just came out. Can anyone tell me about these professors (Suzanne Reynolds, Kami Simmons, Sue Grebeldinger, Mike Green, and/or Luellen Curry)? I have looked on ratemyprofessor and their faculty bios, but what should I expect? Thanks
Curry is awesome. What do you have her for? I didn't get a very good grade in her writing class, and I still loved her.

Grebeldinger- I have heard other people say bad things about her- but she seems alright to me- although I've never had her.

I'm in a Kami Simmons Class right now. She is really fun and energetic. I haven't had her for a full semester yet- but I was talking to someone yesterday that has taken her mulitple times and loves her.

Never had Green or Reynolds, but they are both experts in their fields.
Reynolds is THE family law guru in NC.
And Green is the torts guy- I believe he is currently rewriting the model torts code or whatever its called.
Also, one of his articles has been cited in a supreme court opinion about expert witnesses.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:17 pm

moandersen wrote:
Any recommendations on golf courses that won't break the bank?

Assuming that I have any time to play
Reynolds Park is a decent city course that is about 25-30/person w/ cart. Winston Lakes is cheaper city course, but is not as well maintained and incredibly unforgiving. Tanglewood has two courses, but only consider the Championship course since the other one gets neglected. It is a little pricier though (relatively). Supposedly Salem Glen got new management and isnt the dump it was a couple years ago when I went, so you might want to check that place out as well if you find a deal. Golf in the w-s area is pretty affordable and you should find deals for around 30 bucks for 18 w/ cart.
So our sections just came out. Can anyone tell me about these professors (Suzanne Reynolds, Kami Simmons, Sue Grebeldinger, Mike Green, and/or Luellen Curry)? I have looked on ratemyprofessor and their faculty bios, but what should I expect? Thanks
Ive had a couple of those professors, but don't feel comfortable talking about them since I'm not really anonymous and WF admins/staff lurk TLS. PM me if you really want to know.
What should I be expecting to pay for books and E&Es?

I just added everything up going off the used prices listed on Amazon and came up with $712. Seems high to me or is that about right?
Thats not a bad number at all. I bought everything my 1L fall semester and it came out to around 1k. What a waste of money in retrospect...
Is it necessary to buy supplements, and will the professor tell you which one(s) to use, or is it feasible to just use the assigned books?
Supplements are definitely not necessary but they are pretty good tools to use to gain a better understanding if the prof is not clear. In some of my classes my supplements were pointless, in others they were a lifesaver. Some profs dont think you need supplements for their class but others will give suggestions. If you have a prof that wont help you out, just post here and Im sure you will get a ton of suggestions specific for that prof.

GL 2Ls with OCI. I worked in Charlotte this summer, so if you have any questions about an interview with a Charlotte office feel free to send me a PM with questions.
The Bolded above is right on. I read an E&E for each of my first semester classes, before school started. They did not help me AT ALL in: Torts, Criminal Law, or contracts. Well they helped me a little- a small head start- but everyone else easily caught up to the point that by the end of the semester i had no special advantage or anything.

BUT, in civ pro class- Highest grade in my section. And I could not have done it without reading the E&E- no doubt about it.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 pm

SteelyDan wrote:Ah, right! Definitely do Habitat, it's such a fun way to get to know your classmates!
I didn't do habitat. They pressured you to do it so much.

"You should really do this- it shows you care about the community!"
"You will make friends!"
"Become a citizen lawyer!"

I thought it was a stupid piece of crap. I stayed at home and got drunk by myself instead.

Getting drunk is much better lawyer skill that manual labor, so really I was the responsible one.

Also, if you ever want the truth about something, ask me. Most other people will lie and pretend this place is not a soulsucking hellhole. And that's not Wake in particular. That's law school. Wake is probably much less of a soul sucking hellhole than other law schools. But its still a soul sucking hell hole.

Although I love the admissions and financial aid people :D :P :wink:

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Post by Wakelaw15 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 pm

questions for 2L/3L:

how bad is the in-state legal market?

also, i looked at class profile page and they've updated class enrollment for class of 2015 but left GPA/LSAT for class of 2014, which leads me to think the numbers are probably down even though the class is 2/3 the size. any thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”