USF School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jr0008

New

Re: USF School of Law

Post by jr0008 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:01 pm

I really do not want to put off law school for another year and have been accepted to USF. I will have to pay sticker though and that's a little scary. =/

Anyone else in the same situation?

Still waiting on Santa Clara...honestly I'd feel a little more comfortable paying sticker there as the employment outlook seems to be better.

chiajuiteng

New

Post by chiajuiteng » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 am

Does anyone regret their decisions or gonna change decisions because of the new rankings? I already put down my deposit on McGeorge, but now I'm thinking if I should go with USF. I know it's not that much a difference, but I'm still worrying that McGeorge officially becomes a TTT. Anyonone??? :( :?:

homebrewer

New

Post by homebrewer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:04 pm

chiajuiteng wrote:Does anyone regret their decisions or gonna change decisions because of the new rankings? I already put down my deposit on McGeorge, but now I'm thinking if I should go with USF. I know it's not that much a difference, but I'm still worrying that McGeorge officially becomes a TTT. Anyonone??? :( :?:
I still think I'm going to withdraw from USF because of the high tuition and no renewable scholarship. I was already doubting that McGeorge would be a good fit (I don't really like the Sacramento area) and their drop off of the top 100 makes me feel better about the choice. To be fair, USF was ranked in the top 100 in 2008, dropped off it in 2009 and is now back on. I think both schools will be flirting with high 90's for the next 3 years. Still, I'm going to hold out for either Santa Clara or Hastings and even re-apply next cycle if my late applications this year result in WLs or dings.
Last edited by homebrewer on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blbs

New

Post by blbs » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:38 pm

chiajuiteng wrote:Does anyone regret their decisions or gonna change decisions because of the new rankings? I already put down my deposit on McGeorge, but now I'm thinking if I should go with USF. I know it's not that much a difference, but I'm still worrying that McGeorge officially becomes a TTT. Anyonone??? :( :?:
Are these rankings even out yet? And I'm sure USF's drop off the top 100 weighs heavily on the minds of the administrators, they will certainly do their best to change this.

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 am

homebrewer wrote:
I still think I'm going to withdraw from USF because of the high tuition and no renewable scholarship. I was already doubting that McGeorge would be a good fit (I don't really like the Sacramento area) and their drop off of the top 100 makes me feel better about the choice. To be fair, USF was ranked in the top 100 in 2008, dropped off it in 2009 and is now back on. I think both schools will be flirting with high 90's for the next 3 years. Still, I'm going to hold out for either Santa Clara or Hastings and even re-apply next cycle if my late applications this year result in WLs or dings.

I'm waiting on Santa Clara too...a little worried about having to pay sticker though. WL @ Hastings and Loyola so I may be reapplying next year too. This blows, I've been out of school since 06.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joc

New

Post by joc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:46 am

jr0008 wrote:I really do not want to put off law school for another year and have been accepted to USF. I will have to pay sticker though and that's a little scary. =/

Still waiting on Santa Clara...honestly I'd feel a little more comfortable paying sticker there as the employment outlook seems to be better.
Interesting.. This all depends on where you are trying to work and what you are trying to do.. If you are trying to work for Tech companies in the Silicon Valley, SC is fine. If you are trying to work at a firm in the city, SC has a bad rep among many firms and you are going to find a USF grads everywhere in the city. From PDs to big law to deputy attorney generals.

I also want to pose this question to all people who are contemplating what school they want to go to: Do you want to go Big Law? I see all these posts with statistics and about all of the competition which all have to do with going Big Law. BUT is that even what you want to do? It's not impossible with a USF education to go Big Law right out after grad, but it would obviously be more difficult. Honestly, if you have a "Big Law or bust" mindset, USF law may not be the ideal place for you. It's just more of a public interest vibe. Anything else goes. If it's large scale class action civil litigation you want, USF is a good place to go. If you want to defend inmates on death row, USF is a good avenue for doing so. If you want to work in Cambodia doing international human rights, USF has that too. Also, please take what people say about their own experiences with caution because as a law student, you see some really smart people who you would NEVER HIRE based on personality, attitude, etc. There are other factors.

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am

joc wrote:
jr0008 wrote:I really do not want to put off law school for another year and have been accepted to USF. I will have to pay sticker though and that's a little scary. =/

Interesting.. This all depends on where you are trying to work and what you are trying to do.. If you are trying to work for Tech companies in the Silicon Valley, SC is fine. If you are trying to work at a firm in the city, SC has a bad rep among many firms and you are going to find a USF grads everywhere in the city. From PDs to big law to deputy attorney generals.

I also want to pose this question to all people who are contemplating what school they want to go to: Do you want to go Big Law? I see all these posts with statistics and about all of the competition which all have to do with going Big Law. BUT is that even what you want to do? It's not impossible with a USF education to go Big Law right out after grad, but it would obviously be more difficult. Honestly, if you have a "Big Law or bust" mindset, USF law may not be the ideal place for you. It's just more of a public interest vibe. Anything else goes. If it's large scale class action civil litigation you want, USF is a good place to go. If you want to defend inmates on death row, USF is a good avenue for doing so. If you want to work in Cambodia doing international human rights, USF has that too. Also, please take what people say about their own experiences with caution because as a law student, you see some really smart people who you would NEVER HIRE based on personality, attitude, etc. There are other factors.
Thanks JOC. It's not that I would prefer biglaw right after graduating but it seems like the only way to pay for the huge debt I'd be in paying sticker @ USF. $120,000 or possibly more in debt is a bit daunting if I'll only be starting at around 80-90K.

fakedoctor3

New

Post by fakedoctor3 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:42 pm

bump

jazzluvr

New

Post by jazzluvr » Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 am

I got admitted a week ago but with full tuition. I'm in the same boat as another person who just posted. I'm being offered a free ride at JFK, which I'm not even sure is worth going to. A friend - a successful litigator who went to JFK and who I expected would tell me to take the cheap route and go there - says the education you get is "the same both schools" but says I should go to USF because of the jobs situation later.

I'm hoping to chase the stick and make it into the top 10 after the first year to get the (approximately) 70% they say you can get at that point, renewable.

Re living location: I live in the East Bay and own my house. It's a 20-minute BART ride plus a 20-minute bus ride plus about 15-20 minutes waiting/walking each way, which makes it a one-hour commute door-to-door. Is this at all practical or even realistically doable, especially since I need to maximize my study time if I want to aim for a scholarship? Or am I going to be exhausted all the time? Anyone else ever commuted from the east bay? Driving is about a half hour w/o traffic and I'm told about 3/4 of the students who apply can get parking permits (at $255 per semester). Should I sell or rent out my house and move, with four cats? Or should I try this commute, which could be draining and grueling? Wondering if people get most of their studying done during the day, at school, so that if I commute I can just crash when I get home...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jr0008

New

Post by jr0008 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 pm

jazzluvr wrote:I got admitted a week ago but with full tuition. I'm in the same boat as another person who just posted. I'm being offered a free ride at JFK, which I'm not even sure is worth going to. A friend - a successful litigator who went to JFK and who I expected would tell me to take the cheap route and go there - says the education you get is "the same both schools" but says I should go to USF because of the jobs situation later.

I'm hoping to chase the stick and make it into the top 10 after the first year to get the (approximately) 70% they say you can get at that point, renewable.

Re living location: I live in the East Bay and own my house. It's a 20-minute BART ride plus a 20-minute bus ride plus about 15-20 minutes waiting/walking each way, which makes it a one-hour commute door-to-door. Is this at all practical or even realistically doable, especially since I need to maximize my study time if I want to aim for a scholarship? Or am I going to be exhausted all the time? Anyone else ever commuted from the east bay? Driving is about a half hour w/o traffic and I'm told about 3/4 of the students who apply can get parking permits (at $255 per semester). Should I sell or rent out my house and move, with four cats? Or should I try this commute, which could be draining and grueling? Wondering if people get most of their studying done during the day, at school, so that if I commute I can just crash when I get home...

im in the same boat IF i decide to go to USF rather than retake LSAT and apply again next year. i was able to find a couple USF 1Ls that commute and the general answer is it's doable however most try and get some studying done during the commute. if i decide to go and commute from the east bay i will most likely stay on campus to get most of my studying done...i dont know about you but once i get home im too tempted to just relax.

jazzluvr

New

Post by jazzluvr » Fri May 15, 2009 12:53 pm

jr0008 wrote:
jazzluvr wrote:I got admitted a week ago but with full tuition. I'm in the same boat as another person who just posted. I'm being offered a free ride at JFK, which I'm not even sure is worth going to. A friend - a successful litigator who went to JFK and who I expected would tell me to take the cheap route and go there - says the education you get is "the same both schools" but says I should go to USF because of the jobs situation later.

im in the same boat IF i decide to go to USF rather than retake LSAT and apply again next year. i was able to find a couple USF 1Ls that commute and the general answer is it's doable however most try and get some studying done during the commute. if i decide to go and commute from the east bay i will most likely stay on campus to get most of my studying done...i dont know about you but once i get home im too tempted to just relax.
Would you possibly be interested in carpooling? I live in Rockridge (north Oakland, near south Berkeley). I joined the carpooling forum at the school, which hooks up people for carpools. You can answer me offline if you're interested. I'm going to apply for the parking permit lottery too.

fakedoctor3

New

Post by fakedoctor3 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:47 am

um i do not know how possible it would be for you
to get into the top 10 at USF
you have to keep in mind that there will be many
students coming in with decent scholarships
who will have earned a higher GPA and scored higher on the LSAT than you (us)
they will be fighting hard to keep there money
go in expecting to pay the full tuition all three years
...i'm coming in with a modest scholly but im 99.99% sure i wont
even sniff the top ten
though there will be 7,500 scholly's for students who
demonstrate a commitment to public service
iono go to JFK
i know one of the professors that teach there and she
is consistently ranked as one of the top 100 lawyers in CA
JFK is a decent school...though i didnt apply to any TTT or TFHH

lawemzee

New

Post by lawemzee » Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 am

A'nold wrote:
Calikat wrote:Welcome USF adminstrator. I hope your stay is pleasant.

:roll:
Beat me to it!

Admin: How big of a scholly could I get with a 160, 3.2 ish GPA? I would love to attend if I could get it under 20k a year.
I've got about the exact same numbers and they offered me 10k. They didn't offer till last week, though. I thought it was kind of strange, since merit scholarships usually go out with notices of admission.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vinguyenthuymai

New

Post by vinguyenthuymai » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi guys, I know this thread is super old but i am digging up everything relevant to this school. I never thought about going to law school on the West Coast but my family insists and the East Coast ones that applied for are all top 50 schools that I know my chance is slim. I figure go big or go home (literately since I have more family on the West Coast). I have seen a lot of post about admission on this school but how about student body, teaching quality, programs, things that only students there would know. Where can I get the information? I was originally into the public interest, human rights path. But years go and I realize I am in a more fit with Biglaws. I know someone said USF is not for a BigLaw path but is it a complete opinion?
How about international law? I cant imagine being in San Fran and not having a decent Interntional Law program and connections.

Thank you in advance :)

vinguyenthuymai

New

Post by vinguyenthuymai » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Still hoping to get an answer :(

vinguyenthuymai

New

Post by vinguyenthuymai » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Hix still no reply...sad :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics