GULC 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whiteballea

New

Re: GULC 1L Taking Questions

Post by whiteballea » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:39 am

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

calrhetoric

New

Post by calrhetoric » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:47 am

Is the class ranked? If so, is it done by section or the entire 1L class?

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:39 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:39 am

Are there really 6800 1Ls at GULC?

Sox21

New

Post by Sox21 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Is living in Gewirz really worth it? It seems expensive for dorm housing ($5k/semester = $1200/month?) and like it might be sketchy coming home at night to a business district rather than a residential neighborhood. Plus then are you always trapped on campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

69sofine

Bronze

Post by 69sofine » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Why isn't OP answering these questions?

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Probably because there are a bunch of GULC 1Ls around who all like to answer questions!

I love my 1 bedroom basement ("English Garden") on Capitol Hill. I'm a mile walk from the Law Center and I pay $1200/month. But, if you live in Gewirtz, you don't have to pay utilities.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Sun May 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Do GULC students have borrowing privileges at the other Georgetown libraries?

I know that 1L year will be very busy, but I'd like to be able to borrow some poetry books now and then. I've been out of school for a few years, and I'm feeling the effects of withdrawal from a first-rate university library. Public libraries don't really "do" poetry these days (not that I blame them).

thehyperion

New

Post by thehyperion » Mon May 04, 2009 12:50 am

What would be a decent housing option for a family of three? Don't think my wife and kid will wanna live in on-campus housing. Not to mention, they'll probably be a buzzkill to the other students. :)

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Mon May 04, 2009 11:41 am

jschuyler wrote:Do GULC students have borrowing privileges at the other Georgetown libraries?

I know that 1L year will be very busy, but I'd like to be able to borrow some poetry books now and then. I've been out of school for a few years, and I'm feeling the effects of withdrawal from a first-rate university library. Public libraries don't really "do" poetry these days (not that I blame them).
Yes, we do. We're Georgetown students, too! But, do keep in mind that we're halfway across the city from the main campus (and its libraries). There's a shuttle, though, that runs 10(ish?) times a day. I'm pretty sure you can return books to the main campus library from the law library, but I'm not sure if you can have them delivered.

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Mon May 04, 2009 11:44 am

thehyperion wrote:What would be a decent housing option for a family of three? Don't think my wife and kid will wanna live in on-campus housing. Not to mention, they'll probably be a buzzkill to the other students. :)
I think you're right! Gewirtz would be a terrible option and I'm not really even sure that they non-students to live there.

You may want to look outside of DC (if only just) because the housing prices are relatively so much more affordable. I know one student with a family who lives in Arlington, there are several in Silver Spring, or there are always the other neighborhoods in DC. Brookland is like its own little suburb and the upper NW can be very residential (but also very expensive).

Is that helpful at all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thehyperion

New

Post by thehyperion » Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 pm

hefferlump wrote:
thehyperion wrote:What would be a decent housing option for a family of three? Don't think my wife and kid will wanna live in on-campus housing. Not to mention, they'll probably be a buzzkill to the other students. :)
I think you're right! Gewirtz would be a terrible option and I'm not really even sure that they non-students to live there.

You may want to look outside of DC (if only just) because the housing prices are relatively so much more affordable. I know one student with a family who lives in Arlington, there are several in Silver Spring, or there are always the other neighborhoods in DC. Brookland is like its own little suburb and the upper NW can be very residential (but also very expensive).

Is that helpful at all?
Definitely helpful.

I may have to consider ease of accessibility as well. From what I remember about Silver Spring, I'd have to drive.

Is the Upper NW the Chevy Chase/Bethesda area?

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Mon May 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Well, it depends. Several of my friends live within walking distance of the Silver Spring Metro and it supposedly takes 16 minutes to get to Union Station. Other people have looked at the new apartments that have sprouted up near Ft. Totten station, too. Basically, anything on the Red Line is going to be the most convenient for you!

I was more thinking about anything between Friendship Heights and Dupont, but I don't actually know the areas all that well in terms of housing. Your best bet on anything is to poke around Craigslist, even if it's just to get a feel for the kinds of places and prices that are available in different parts of the DC area.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Mon May 04, 2009 7:31 pm

What are we looking at for 2BR apartments in DC, the city? If it's anything around 2500, then I'm probably in business. My wife works out of the house, so we'll need the 2nd BR as office/guestroom. I would really like to avoid a half hour train ride if possible, as my wife and I are majorly concerned with maintaining some kind of relationship in the first two years. :D

Plus, we have three dogs, one small and two larger. We understand pet policies can be pretty tough in the city. Does anyone know what the best pet policy we could hope and anyplace we might find it?

chipchip

New

Post by chipchip » Mon May 04, 2009 9:26 pm

hefferlump wrote:
jschuyler wrote:Do GULC students have borrowing privileges at the other Georgetown libraries?

Yes, we do. We're Georgetown students, too! But, do keep in mind that we're halfway across the city from the main campus (and its libraries). There's a shuttle, though, that runs 10(ish?) times a day. I'm pretty sure you can return books to the main campus library from the law library, but I'm not sure if you can have them delivered.
I'm on main campus (ug, going to LC in the fall). The libraries do inter-library loans and will deliver. Also, from the entire Consortium of DC schools. Even the Qatar campus, if you're really gung-ho about reading something from there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jschuyler

New

Post by jschuyler » Mon May 04, 2009 9:29 pm

chipchip wrote:
hefferlump wrote:

I'm on main campus (ug, going to LC in the fall). The libraries do inter-library loans and will deliver. Also, from the entire Consortium of DC schools. Even the Qatar campus, if you're really gung-ho about reading something from there.
That's great news. Thanks for both of your responses.

thehyperion

New

Post by thehyperion » Mon May 04, 2009 10:23 pm

GreenHeels wrote:What are we looking at for 2BR apartments in DC, the city? If it's anything around 2500, then I'm probably in business. My wife works out of the house, so we'll need the 2nd BR as office/guestroom. I would really like to avoid a half hour train ride if possible, as my wife and I are majorly concerned with maintaining some kind of relationship in the first two years. :D

Plus, we have three dogs, one small and two larger. We understand pet policies can be pretty tough in the city. Does anyone know what the best pet policy we could hope and anyplace we might find it?
I've already given up on the relationship part. That kinda goes out the window once the little one arrives. Don't think going to law school's gonna help open up any free time either. :D

SethD2767

New

Post by SethD2767 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:38 pm

I have several questions:

(1) Is it possible to register for non-law classes as a gulc student, i.e. classes outside the law school. So, for instance, I am currently a graduate student getting my MA; however, I am able to register for dance classes (tango, salsa etc) provided at the undergraduate level.

(2) Does the GULC gym have squash courts? If so, how many?

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 pm

@ GreenHeels: $2500 gives you a lot to work with. I'd actually suggest that you might want to look at houses, instead of apartments, just because I suspect they're more pet-friendly. But, that's a hunch. As ever, Craigslist is your friend, but you'll definitely want to visit, because some of the stuff coming up is in questionable neighborhoods and you'll want to visit first. I would look at Capitol Hill and Brookland as good options. Your budget may even be enough to look at the apartments really close to campus, in Penn Quarter, but I have no idea on their pet policies. I think as long as you don't need anything insanely luxurious, you shouldn't have a problem finding a 2-bed on your budget.

@SethD2767:

(1) Yes. We can take 6 LLM credits and 6 outside the Law Center without permission. Maybe more with permission, but I don't have the student handbook handy.

(2) Apparently we have: "a lap pool, locker rooms with whirlpools, fitness area, fitness assessment room, two massage rooms, two group exercise studios, Spinning® studio, two racquetball courts, and 8,400 square feet of multi-purpose court for basketball and volleyball."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

broncos06

New

Post by broncos06 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Anyone apply to a joint-degree program during your first year of law school? If so, do you have any information on how much being in their JD program helps your chances at also getting admitted to the grad program on main campus? Specifically, I am interested in the JD/MAAS.

Thankya

smaakit

New

Post by smaakit » Sun May 10, 2009 11:24 am

Hi Greenheels--

Just saw your pet situation! I had a hard time getting a pet-friendly apartment but they do exist! The thing is that you'll usually have a higher deposit, and some buildings will charge pet rent. My building charges $25 per cat per month. And I think there was a $250 pet deposit.

Some will have a weight requirement, like no dogs over 65 lbs. Or total dog weight can't exceed x pounds.

But there are definitely apartments out there. I live up in NW DC on the red line (Cleveland Park), about 20ish minutes from school, and there are a lot of dog-buildings out here. Bethesda also seems to be a pretty dog-friendly neighborhood, and is only a few stops beyond me.

Good luck finding a place! You could always try a realtor, btw, b/c apparently they get paid a finder's fee from the building directly, and you don't have to pay a broker fee, like in nyc.

danr2040

New

Post by danr2040 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi guys,
Trying to decide between Cornell ($) and GULC by next weekend. Visited both, haven't decided yet. My career interests are JAG/government service after school.

Posted this on another thread and got no replies, so I'm hoping I can get some feedback on these questions I have after visiting.

Does GULC's class size make qualifying for Law Review or Moot Court more difficult than at a smaller school?

One of GULC's biggest selling points for those interested in government work is the opportunity to do externships during the school year. Is it possible to do a good externship while holding down decent grades and doing an activity like Law Review or Moot Court?

I hear that a lot of the top clinics are application-based and difficult to get into because so many students want them. Have people found this to be the case?

I thank everyone in advance for their input. Feel free to chime in with other things I should consider.

Antop

New

Post by Antop » Tue May 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Just got into GULC as a transfer, I am 95% leaning towards being in D.C. in the fall. I know absolutely nothing about D.C. and I will be moving there for 2L clearly. I would appreciate any help I can get to point me in the right direction as far as apartments. I know this thread (among others) have options listed, but maybe giving my specific needs, someone can help me narrow it down. I'm looking for something in the 1000-1500 range, preferably closer to 1200 for 1 BR. I'd like to be as close as possible to a metro stop that goes right to GULC (I know nothing about the metro). I will be living by myself, so I don't have any other specific needs, but would rather pay slightly more for a decent neighborhood/apartment. I appreciate the help in advance...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”