Ask a Harvard 1L Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Objection

Silver

Re: Ask a Harvard 1L Questions

Post by Objection » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:52 pm

So I want to learn to play golf. My dad has been bugging me and it's about time I learn. Are there any golf lessons through or nearby HLS?

stupid33

New

Post by stupid33 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:05 pm

We have a Harvard Law Golf Club. I'm not sure whether they offer lessons though.
The link below contains contact information for the officers of the club, and they may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!
--LinkRemoved--

shep

New

Post by shep » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:22 am

I know this has been discussed in multiple places already but do you know the +'s and -'s of living in the dorms? Gropius vs. Hastings?

stupid33

New

Post by stupid33 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 am

I live off-campus, so I can't really speak to the +'s and -'s of the dorms themselves. But I have really enjoyed being off-campus. Sometimes being in law school can be like a bubble. I found it great to be able to come home and not be surrounded by law all the time and get some perspective. However, I am probably missing out on some aspects of dorm-life. If I could choose all over again, I would still live off-campus. (Keep in mind that apartments in Cambridge can be a bit pricey though.) If you do choose to live off-campus, living close to the law school your first year might be a good idea, since you can't organize your own schedule until 2L year, and it's great being able to walk home between classes. :D At the same time, I do know some people who live a bit farther away and they seem to be doing just fine too.

Deesh

New

Post by Deesh » Sat May 16, 2009 12:15 am

I don't know if this has already been asked but how difficult is it to make the law review at Harvard? I'm deciding between HLS and SLS and am wondering if it might be easier to get on the law review at Stanford because of the small class size...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdilla

New

Post by gdilla » Sun May 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I'll be an LLM student next year. They have just released the on-campus lottery results, and I didn't make it into the group that gets to pick housing. I'm not sure whether I'll get onto the wait list. Does anyone know how many people did last year?

So, I'll have to start thinking about living off-campus. Would I be missing out on much? I haven't yet looked into finding a place, and I won't be able to until late next month. Would you recommend I go with HRES affiliated housing instead of a private landlord? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks.

Copester27

New

Post by Copester27 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:01 pm

I applied for admissions in October, had a phone interview, and found out in early January I have been placed on hold. I have a very high GPA (3.97) at a good university, but scored a 168 on the LSAT (which isn't awful, but isn't great either). The hold letter advised me to update the school with any recent news, and to send in a transcript. I sent in a short letter, basically just telling them Harvard was my top choice, and that my transcript would be following. I am wondering if it would be wise to send another letter (this other letter was sent about 3 weeks ago) that would take my interest a step further, and tell them I would attend Harvard if admitted. Any suggestions?

lawnerd

New

Post by lawnerd » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm no expert on admissions, but common sense tells me it can't hurt for you to show additional interest.

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 am

Copester27 wrote:I applied for admissions in October, had a phone interview, and found out in early January I have been placed on hold. I have a very high GPA (3.97) at a good university, but scored a 168 on the LSAT (which isn't awful, but isn't great either). The hold letter advised me to update the school with any recent news, and to send in a transcript. I sent in a short letter, basically just telling them Harvard was my top choice, and that my transcript would be following. I am wondering if it would be wise to send another letter (this other letter was sent about 3 weeks ago) that would take my interest a step further, and tell them I would attend Harvard if admitted. Any suggestions?
No offense but I highly doubt that Harvard would have yield-related concerns about a 3.97/168 applicant. So, yeah while it certainly couldn't hurt to show additional interest, I very highly doubt that it would make any difference for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:22 pm

this was super-bumped so i doubt the original Harvard 1L will answer questions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”