Columbia 1L Taking Questions (Class of '11) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
frank_the_tank

Bronze

Re: Columbia 1L Taking Questions

Post by frank_the_tank » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:38 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:
I'll start a "100% committed to CLS 2012" thread on here if we all think it will be useful. We might as well get to know one another now. It never hurts going into a situation with several friends.
+1
On the strength of Lem's +1, I have started the 100% thread over in the "TLS class of 2012" forum. It's time we Columbians (what are we anyway?--is it the lions?) started to get to know one another.
lol..we already have a CLS 2012 thread

M51

Bronze

Post by M51 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:01 am

chris0805 wrote:
have a question for Columbia 1L's along those lines - I have yet to meet anyone or hear of anyone who is on the Law Review. Is this because they are so totally consumed with work? Does someone in Law Review seem unable to do anything else (i.e., clinics, interest groups, externships, etc.)?
I know people on law review, and they're involved in clinics and externships too, but they're probably efficient enough to stop reading law school message boards once they're in law school. :lol:

edited since I don't know basic grammar :oops:
A couple of them I see everywhere. Don't know how these people balance their lives and manage to do 4 different involved academic activities w/ an externship and still have time to hit the gym....

Language courses are plentiful, free, and you can take them any year/semester/w.e.

And the rumors are true, CLS guys are mostly ridiculously good looking. :)

indecisive09

New

Post by indecisive09 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:26 pm

in terms of housing, any specific buildings that are especially awesome/ good bang for the buck? studios, apt shares, anything?

any comments on law school only buildings vs. general uah?

imdashep

New

Post by imdashep » Sat May 02, 2009 3:29 am

I'd go with UAH honestly. The buildings near the law school are a great deal, and really easy to find something accommodating.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:54 pm

I'll second the vote for UAH. I think it's a better deal than law school housing, and it's easier to find something to suit your needs since there's more diverse options.

to answer Daisyduck, you can take any class at Columbia (including languages) for free. You can only 10 credits towards your JD, and you can't take more than 16 credits more than one semester, but those are your only limitations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imdashep

New

Post by imdashep » Sun May 03, 2009 1:03 am

Umm, UAH is different than law school housing? What are you considering law school housing, just Lenfest or Lionsgate?

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sun May 03, 2009 7:37 am

Law school housing is one kind of UAH housing. In addition to Lenfest and Lionsgate, the apartments on 115th street and 116th street are law-school housing.
UAH also has non-law-school housing, of all sorts.

Chris is right that non-law housing is often a bit cheaper, but it depends.

The housing office is pretty good about finding a place that fits your criteria, so if you don't know what building is what, just write a description of what you're looking for, as detailed as you want. (A lot of space / as cheap as possible / near the school / with or without law students / (un)furnished / ...)

imdashep

New

Post by imdashep » Sun May 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Right.....I thought you were saying that they were distinct.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Does the financial aid office ever respond to you by email? I've tried so many times and they never seem to answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jfab202

New

Post by jfab202 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:29 pm

zero1 wrote:Does the financial aid office ever respond to you by email? I've tried so many times and they never seem to answer.
I've been corresponding via email. They just take a while to get back to you.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:37 pm

jfab202 wrote:
zero1 wrote:Does the financial aid office ever respond to you by email? I've tried so many times and they never seem to answer.
I've been corresponding via email. They just take a while to get back to you.

Oh alright. I'll wait.

NoodlesHighChief

New

Post by NoodlesHighChief » Thu May 28, 2009 2:54 pm

What are the squash courts like? Is it easy enough to get on the court or are they always taken over by the teams? Is there any squash club/intermural league?

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey guys!

Are there racquetball courts anywhere nearby?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 am

bump?

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:12 pm

NewHere wrote:Law school housing is one kind of UAH housing. In addition to Lenfest and Lionsgate, the apartments on 115th street and 116th street are law-school housing.
UAH also has non-law-school housing, of all sorts.

Chris is right that non-law housing is often a bit cheaper, but it depends.

The housing office is pretty good about finding a place that fits your criteria, so if you don't know what building is what, just write a description of what you're looking for, as detailed as you want. (A lot of space / as cheap as possible / near the school / with or without law students / (un)furnished / ...)

UAH recently chose of these for me. How would you describe them?

00TREX00

Bronze

Post by 00TREX00 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SleekFire

Bronze

Post by SleekFire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:06 am

00TREX00 wrote:Yes, there are racquetball and squash courts at the main gym on Columbia campus.
Sweet!
Are they always jam packed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 am

What street and on which side of campus?

116th on the Amsterdam side is (insofar as I know) all 1BR and 2BR, no sharing.
115th is all shared 3BRs, with some 2BRs (I think a bit more of them on the Broadway side), and the Amsterdam and Broadway sides are quite different in the way they are laid out.

So before launching into long descriptions it would be good to know a bit more specifically what you're looking for.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:27 am

NewHere wrote:
What street and on which side of campus?

116th on the Amsterdam side is (insofar as I know) all 1BR and 2BR, no sharing.
115th is all shared 3BRs, with some 2BRs (I think a bit more of them on the Broadway side), and the Amsterdam and Broadway sides are quite different in the way they are laid out.

So before launching into long descriptions it would be good to know a bit more specifically what you're looking for.

Oops my bad. Aah, I also just realized that I made a massive typo in my earlier post.

Moving on,
Ok, um apparently I misdirected you a bit. I'm actually on 130 Morningside Drive (I dunno how the hell I made that mistake). These, I believe, are not just for law school students. When looking at the viewbook, I see an alley filled with a bunch of tenement style shares. How bad is it?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:51 pm

CLS calls Legal Methods "an ungraded course." I assume that means Pass/Fail, right?

What about Legal Practice Workshop (both I and II)? Graded on the standard A to F range, or Pass/Fail?

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Zero1, I'm sorry, I don't know much about the apartment on Morningside Drive, because I don't know anyone who lives there. So the only thing I can say is that in general, most or all of UAH's apartments are pretty nice.
CLS calls Legal Methods "an ungraded course." I assume that means Pass/Fail, right?

What about Legal Practice Workshop (both I and II)? Graded on the standard A to F range, or Pass/Fail?
Yes, Legal Methods is Pass/Fail. Legal Practice Workshop is Pass/Fail also, both semesters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YoungLLChamp

New

Post by YoungLLChamp » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:32 pm

hmmm

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:55 pm

NewHere wrote:Zero1, I'm sorry, I don't know much about the apartment on Morningside Drive, because I don't know anyone who lives there. So the only thing I can say is that in general, most or all of UAH's apartments are pretty nice.

Yes, Legal Methods is Pass/Fail. Legal Practice Workshop is Pass/Fail also, both semesters.

Wow. I honestly hope I'm not going to be by myself over there. My roommate isn't even a law student. I believe it's simply a grad housing complex.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:18 pm

anyone focusing on international law?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:19 pm

NewHere wrote:Zero1, I'm sorry, I don't know much about the apartment on Morningside Drive, because I don't know anyone who lives there. So the only thing I can say is that in general, most or all of UAH's apartments are pretty nice.

Do people ever fail? I mean, have you heard of anyone?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”