Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Lincoln wrote:Also, Arbiter, you must be having a chill SA considering how much time you spend on here during the day. 8)
I'm seconded this week.

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:And why no Cleary D.C. love?
Plenty of love. They are on my list.

northerrn

New

Post by northerrn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 pm

anyone know when 2Ls can start looking at/signing up for classes for fall semester?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I hear Lacepiece has great secondhand books, with superb highlighting.
Dibs.
Lol top of the line highliting guranteed to get u an A in torts FTW.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I hear Lacepiece has great secondhand books, with superb highlighting.
Dibs.
I wish I could say the same about other subjects...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Dibs.
I wish I could say the same about other subjects...
Haha you and me both.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
LFH_intheflesh wrote:Moving on...

So I notice that Arnold and Porter's GPA median for callbacks jumped from 3.55 to 3.8... what's the story there? I have ties to the DC area, and I was interested in them based on last year's info but that jump is intimidating.
Small sample size plus grade inflation, I bet.

Edit: I wouldn't be too intimidated. DC is tough, but if you want to end up there, I would still bid on A&P; it's a better bet than Covington or W&C.
Covington doesn't even recruit for us.

And why no Cleary D.C. love?
There's no Cleary DC GPA info. Would you be competitive if you're above the Cleary NY median?
Last edited by hephaestus on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
LFH_intheflesh wrote:Moving on...

So I notice that Arnold and Porter's GPA median for callbacks jumped from 3.55 to 3.8... what's the story there? I have ties to the DC area, and I was interested in them based on last year's info but that jump is intimidating.
Small sample size plus grade inflation, I bet.

Edit: I wouldn't be too intimidated. DC is tough, but if you want to end up there, I would still bid on A&P; it's a better bet than Covington or W&C.
Covington doesn't even recruit for us.

And why no Cleary D.C. love?
There's no Cleary DC GPA info. I'm above Cleary NY median. Am I competitive, would you think?
Christ. Yes.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I had heard that DC branches were generally more competitive than NY, eg Goodwin, WilmerHale, Jones Day. Is this just hearsay or a product of the small sample sizes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:43 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I had heard that DC branches were generally more competitive than NY, eg Goodwin, WilmerHale, Jones Day. Is this just hearsay or a product of the small sample sizes?
They're generally more selective, but if you're above Cleary's mean then you're in pretty rarefied air.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Dibs.
So should we be waiting until section assignments are out to buy books from rising 2Ls or are the casebooks always the same from year to year?

LFH_intheflesh

New

Post by LFH_intheflesh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Wait for your section assignments and textbook list. Textbooks stay the same from year to year, but differ from professor to professor.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:02 pm

LFH_intheflesh wrote:Wait for your section assignments and textbook list. Textbooks stay the same from year to year, but differ from professor to professor.
Ok, thanks. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Lavitz wrote:
LFH_intheflesh wrote:Wait for your section assignments and textbook list. Textbooks stay the same from year to year, but differ from professor to professor.
You should get them in late July.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Lavitz wrote:
I'll have mine up for sale. As hinted by Arbiter I bought mine off him/her. Saved a shit ton of time because s/he had a really good highliting system and almost always had all the important stuff highlited and ready to go.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
I'll have mine up for sale. As hinted by Arbiter I bought mine off him/her. Saved a shit ton of time because s/he had a really good highliting system and almost always had all the important stuff highlited and ready to go.
Love the attempt to protect my entirely shattered anonymity.

And I'm sure now with your additions they'll have not just almost all the important information.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:I'll have mine up for sale. As hinted by Arbiter I bought mine off him/her. Saved a shit ton of time because s/he had a really good highlighting system and almost always had all the important stuff highlighted and ready to go.
Yeah, I caught the hints.

I'll be looking to buy after I get my section assignment and see which books I need.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Though I realize this does not necessarily follow, yall think the median will b around the same as last years (as the T-10 is the same)?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:55 pm

morally0bese wrote:Though I realize this does not necessarily follow, yall think the median will b around the same as last years (as the T-10 is the same)?
Probably not since the Top 30% seems to be a lot higher then it was last semester, and last semester the rumored median was a 3.47. I'm guessing that the profs median was even higher. Unless the have nots the ppl in the bottom of the class did extremely worse then the haves the kids at the top compared to last semester. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the lower grades were lower. The higher grades were higher. And the profs left less ppl in the middle, that could be the only way that the median did not increase from last semester.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm

ImNoScar wrote:I had heard that DC branches were generally more competitive than NY, eg Goodwin, WilmerHale, Jones Day. Is this just hearsay or a product of the small sample sizes?
Also, none of the firms you listed are headquartered in NYC (Goodwin is in Boston, WilmerHale is Boston/DC, Jones Day is DC), but Cleary is a NYC firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

morally0bese

New

Post by morally0bese » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Yo Lacepiece whats up buddy

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 pm

hi guys my GPA is 3.81 but the median for W&C is 3.82 and I don't know if they have a NYC office but if they do it's probably lower median but I'm not from NYC but also i got a B+ in legal writing but only because I was sleeping with the TA for the first semester and then we broke up the second semester and idk but I did really well on my Clermon't cold call

So my question is: What's the best bus to get to Wegman's?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:08 pm

PinkCow wrote:hi guys my GPA is 3.81 but the median for W&C is 3.82 and I don't know if they have a NYC office but if they do it's probably lower median but I'm not from NYC but also i got a B+ in legal writing but only because I was sleeping with the TA for the first semester and then we broke up the second semester and idk but I did really well on my Clermon't cold call

So my question is: What's the best bus to get to Wegman's?
Go home harvard, you're drunk.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:06 pm

morally0bese wrote:Yo Lacepiece whats up buddy

Nothing man guessing I know you in real life pm me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”