Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
msblaw89

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I fucking HAD a weil slot, hit submit, and it threw an error. Go back, click Latham, realize it's only conflicts. Get back to main page, barely anything left. Glad I snagged what I did, but that was super disappointing.
I know I'm a 0L, but please explain

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:39 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I fucking HAD a weil slot, hit submit, and it threw an error. Go back, click Latham, realize it's only conflicts. Get back to main page, barely anything left. Glad I snagged what I did, but that was super disappointing.
After bidding lottery there is a day of open sign ups for firms with open slots (usually caused by outbound transfers) that don't conflict with your schedule. So from 12:00pm to 12:01pm, in effect.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
After bidding lottery there is a day of open sign ups for firms with open slots (usually caused by outbound transfers) that don't conflict with your schedule. So from 12:00pm to 12:01pm, in effect.
Got it

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Is there a daily deal thing, like Groupon or LivingSocial, for Ithaca?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Is there a daily deal thing, like Groupon or LivingSocial, for Ithaca?
Not to my knowledge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oliverlovesyou

New

Post by oliverlovesyou » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:44 pm

I have a question regarding "bidding alternative markets". Bidding only refers to the lottery system of OCI, correct? Do many non-NYC firms come to the Cornell OCI? Is there any way to find out what firms do come to the Cornell OCI, without going through each NALP profile?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:32 pm

oliverlovesyou wrote:I have a question regarding "bidding alternative markets". Bidding only refers to the lottery system of OCI, correct? Do many non-NYC firms come to the Cornell OCI? Is there any way to find out what firms do come to the Cornell OCI, without going through each NALP profile?
Calm down sister, no way to find out exactly what firms will come to the AJF next year until you get access to the bidding list in simplicity.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Ikki wrote:
oliverlovesyou wrote:I have a question regarding "bidding alternative markets". Bidding only refers to the lottery system of OCI, correct? Do many non-NYC firms come to the Cornell OCI? Is there any way to find out what firms do come to the Cornell OCI, without going through each NALP profile?
Calm down sister, no way to find out exactly what firms will come to the AJF next year until you get access to the bidding list in simplicity.
Yah worry more about classes.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:13 am

To the current students:

What is the best, or most convenient, place to get a nice bottle of scotch? Like, maybe a Macallan 12 or similar quality.. I'm going to be living in college town on N Quarry St.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 am

T00L wrote:To the current students:

What is the best, or most convenient, place to get a nice bottle of scotch? Like, maybe a Macallan 12 or similar quality.. I'm going to be living in college town on N Quarry St.
Most convenient would be collegetown wine and spirit. Best would be anywhere that isn't there.

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 am

Arbiter213 wrote:

Most convenient would be collegetown wine and spirit. Best would be anywhere that isn't there.
I don't know the name but the best selection in Ithaca is down Meadow a little past Wegman's. The package store by Five Guys over there is top notch.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 am

orderofthings wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

I don't know the name but the best selection in Ithaca is down Meadow a little past Wegman's. The package store by Five Guys over there is top notch.
Yah that's definitely the consensus pick. The place up on east hill is pretty solid too.

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
orderofthings wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Yah that's definitely the consensus pick. The place up on east hill is pretty solid too.
I'm going to fucking miss being able to buy booze at the grocery store like I can in WA. :(

Northside Wine and Spirits (the store by Five Guys) has everything you could want though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 pm

What was the social scene like during 1L? Were there a lot of house parties or mostly just bars and what is the normal frequency one would go out during the week?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:10 pm

MTH2 wrote:What was the social scene like during 1L?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
MTH2 wrote:What was the social scene like during 1L?
I have to say I do love your dry sense of humor

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:25 am

msblaw89 wrote: I have to say I do love your dry sense of humor
It's nice to go appreciated :D

So I guess I'll actually answer your question:

Some people raged pretty hard, some of those people even did pretty well. I think it would be considered average to go out once a week (Friday and/or Saturday, skipping some weeks). But I went out less than average so my assessment may be a bit less accurate.

Going out was almost universally going to bars. Good turn out for any bar tab (get there in the first 10 minutes if you want your free drink). The major events had very high turn-out as well. My group of friends would get together and have a movie night or party about once every 3 weeks as well, at someone's apartment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:47 am

Does anybody have any idea as to how several incoming 1Ls are invited to the academic orientation program? I heard its based on some unusual credential the applicant has but was wondering if it is intended for those with lower undergrad gpas or lsat scores? Any clue?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 am

Schang1 wrote:Does anybody have any idea as to how several incoming 1Ls are invited to the academic orientation program? I heard its based on some unusual credential the applicant has but was wondering if it is intended for those with lower undergrad gpas or lsat scores? Any clue?
If by unusual credential you mean being a minority, then yes.

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Does anybody have any idea as to how several incoming 1Ls are invited to the academic orientation program? I heard its based on some unusual credential the applicant has but was wondering if it is intended for those with lower undergrad gpas or lsat scores? Any clue?
If by unusual credential you mean being a minority, then yes.
Pretty much. If you didn't get invited don't feel bad. You're not missing out on anything vital (unless you consider an opportunity for Holden-Smith to intimidate you before classes even start, or dinner with Johnson's family, to be vital). From my experience, it's just a way to let the minority (and LGBT?) kids meet each other so that they know they aren't alone.

transfer2014

New

Post by transfer2014 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote: I have to say I do love your dry sense of humor
It's nice to go appreciated :D

So I guess I'll actually answer your question:

Some people raged pretty hard, some of those people even did pretty well. I think it would be considered average to go out once a week (Friday and/or Saturday, skipping some weeks). But I went out less than average so my assessment may be a bit less accurate.

Going out was almost universally going to bars. Good turn out for any bar tab (get there in the first 10 minutes if you want your free drink). The major events had very high turn-out as well. My group of friends would get together and have a movie night or party about once every 3 weeks as well, at someone's apartment.
I generally went out at least twice a week, Friday and Saturday, right up to the week before finals. I did well, around top 20% and law review. Don't get scared off! If you plan your time right, you will have plenty of time to relax and socialize.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 pm

transfer2014 wrote: If you plan your time right, you will have plenty of time to relax and socialize.
This is the best advice there is. There are SOME people that are just swamped constantly, but they're uncommon.

Also there are way too many TLS regulars who made law review.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 am

For those who had time to socialize AND did well in school... Can you outline your typical schedule?

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:51 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
transfer2014 wrote: If you plan your time right, you will have plenty of time to relax and socialize.
This is the best advice there is. There are SOME people that are just swamped constantly, but they're uncommon.

:/

...ILJ

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 am

orderofthings wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

:/

...ILJ

:(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”