Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Post Reply
User avatar
johansantana21

Silver
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by johansantana21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:29 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:as a surely welcome change of subject...


how is privacy in hughes? this is a serious question. i know the law school class is very small/close.

would one be able to comfortably have guests over for the night without having to worry about gossip/rumors and such?

do people throw parties in their rooms?

is noise ever an issue?

i'm afraid it would end up like an episode of the Real World, but otherwise it seems incredibly convenient.
plz?
I live in hughes.

It's fine.

User avatar
mths

Silver
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by mths » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:49 am

horrorbusiness wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:as a surely welcome change of subject...


how is privacy in hughes? this is a serious question. i know the law school class is very small/close.

would one be able to comfortably have guests over for the night without having to worry about gossip/rumors and such?

do people throw parties in their rooms?

is noise ever an issue?

i'm afraid it would end up like an episode of the Real World, but otherwise it seems incredibly convenient.
plz?
Having people stay over isn't a cakewalk and noise is an issue if your suitemates are douchey.

horrorbusiness

Silver
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:32 am

anyone have/shoot guns?

User avatar
FlanAl

Silver
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by FlanAl » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:35 am

you can take it as a pe course at the undergrad. at the law school itself I have no idea. the area surrounding it is super rural so maybe you could go hunt somewhere. as far as sports and stuff go people at the law school usually just play inter mural. there are only like 600 people total so for a lot niche interest things you are going to have to look beyond the law school.

User avatar
KMaine

Silver
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by KMaine » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 am

horrorbusiness wrote:anyone have/shoot guns?
Assume you are talking about hunting rather than crime. I know some people who do the former.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


horrorbusiness

Silver
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by horrorbusiness » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:37 pm

thanks. haha, no not crime. target shooting/collecting/modding is what i meant.

User avatar
KMaine

Silver
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by KMaine » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Yeah, the people I know are 3Ls, but I don't know many people who aren't 3Ls. I think you will find some like-minded individuals. Plus the campus is huge (undergrads and grad students). I would imagine there is some sort of club.

User avatar
vexion

Bronze
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by vexion » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:04 pm

There are several gun clubs/sport shooting facilities sprinkled around the area. None in Ithaca proper, but iirc one in Dryden, one in Cortland, one in Newfield... Many require a membership, but I didn't look into it too much.

Skyhook

Bronze
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Skyhook » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 pm

I know a few 2L's use this forum...
I'm looking for casebooks, please PM me if they are in good condition (minimal highlighting, writing, damage, etc):

Criminal Law with Ohlin - Criminal Law and Its Processes: Cases and Materials, Eighth Edition (Casebook) [Hardcover]
Sanford H. Kadish

Property with Underkuffler - Property by James E. Krier, Gregory S. Alexander and Jesse Dukeminier, Seventh Edition (2010, Other, Mixed media product)

And any advice for their courses would be great too!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:45 pm

For the record, grades came out this past Friday, the Friday before the Monday they were due to be released.

User avatar
Pato_09

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Pato_09 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Any 2L/3L recommend any course(s) for next semester?

User avatar
vexion

Bronze
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by vexion » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Pato_09 wrote:Any 2L/3L recommend any course(s) for next semester?
Is Whitehead teaching Biz Orgs in the spring? I'll recommend him as the anti-Hockett. I took it with Hockett and the man is insufferable, but I had Intro to Transactional Lawyering with Whitehead and he's great.

User avatar
FlanAl

Silver
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by FlanAl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:For the record, grades came out this past Friday, the Friday before the Monday they were due to be released.
Anyone know how to figure out the breakdown of top 25, median etc.?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


orderofthings

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by orderofthings » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:38 pm

FlanAl wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:For the record, grades came out this past Friday, the Friday before the Monday they were due to be released.
Anyone know how to figure out the breakdown of top 25, median etc.?
Wondering this too. Basically all I've got is the top 10 percent mark and that median is somewhere between 3.2 and 3.5, but probably closer to the higher end of that spectrum.

User avatar
Lincoln

Silver
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Top 30% each semester get a letter saying they made dean's list. Last year it was just over a 3.6.

Median... who the fuck knows.

User avatar
Lincoln

Silver
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm

vexion wrote:
Pato_09 wrote:Any 2L/3L recommend any course(s) for next semester?
Is Whitehead teaching Biz Orgs in the spring? I'll recommend him as the anti-Hockett. I took it with Hockett and the man is insufferable, but I had Intro to Transactional Lawyering with Whitehead and he's great.
Whitehead is not teaching biz orgs this spring.

justhoping

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by justhoping » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Lincoln wrote: Median... who the fuck knows.
I thought it was ~3.35, no?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


orderofthings

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by orderofthings » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 am

justhoping wrote:
Lincoln wrote: Median... who the fuck knows.
I thought it was ~3.35, no?
I don't feel like looking up the exact details but last year Cornell changed their grading policy to where the median grades for a class can range from between 3.2-3.5, instead of a hard 3.35. Most professors moved to the higher end of that spectrum, as evidenced by the top 10% GPA cutoff changing to about .1 higher from the class of 2012 to the class of 2013.

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:28 am

justhoping wrote:
Lincoln wrote: Median... who the fuck knows.
I thought it was ~3.35, no?
Not really. The curve is allowed to go up to a 3.5. Last year the Median was a 3.42, top 1/3rd came in just over 3.6 (as above) and top 10% is somewhere around 3.81.

justhoping

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by justhoping » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:31 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
justhoping wrote:
I thought it was ~3.35, no?
Not really. The curve is allowed to go up to a 3.5. Last year the Median was a 3.42, top 1/3rd came in just over 3.6 (as above) and top 10% is somewhere around 3.81.
I see. where did you get the data?

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:33 am

justhoping wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
justhoping wrote:
I thought it was ~3.35, no?
Not really. The curve is allowed to go up to a 3.5. Last year the Median was a 3.42, top 1/3rd came in just over 3.6 (as above) and top 10% is somewhere around 3.81.
I see. where did you get the data?
1. A 2L
2. https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... y_2011.pdf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
FlanAl

Silver
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by FlanAl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 am

I hate that I can't figure out how bad I actually did haha

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 am

FlanAl wrote:I hate that I can't figure out how bad I actually did haha
I mean, half the class is still waiting on a quarter of it's GPA. Assuming you're NOT in that group:

<3.35, bad
3.35-3.48, median-ish, but below 3.42 is likely actually below
3.48-3.61, above median, below top 3rd
3.61-3.81, 30%-11%
>3.81, top 10%

4.0, transfer to yale

User avatar
Lincoln

Silver
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
justhoping wrote:
Lincoln wrote: Median... who the fuck knows.
I thought it was ~3.35, no?
Not really. The curve is allowed to go up to a 3.5. Last year the Median was a 3.42, top 1/3rd came in just over 3.6 (as above) and top 10% is somewhere around 3.81.
I'd like to know where that median comes from. I've never seen anything from the registrar stating this.

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 am

Lincoln wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
justhoping wrote:
Lincoln wrote: Median... who the fuck knows.
I thought it was ~3.35, no?
Not really. The curve is allowed to go up to a 3.5. Last year the Median was a 3.42, top 1/3rd came in just over 3.6 (as above) and top 10% is somewhere around 3.81.
I'd like to know where that median comes from. I've never seen anything from the registrar stating this.
A 2L who compiled stats whom I trust. It's possible that's completely wrong though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”