Cornell 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Post Reply
User avatar
kn6542

Silver
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:47 am

PinkCow wrote:Question from a naive west coaster: What is up with all the rust? Seriously, like every other car there looked diseased.
You couldn't figure this out by just thinking?

User avatar
kn6542

Silver
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 am

vexion wrote:
damage-inc wrote:whats the scene like in "downtown" ithaca. Theres apparently a mall and movie theaters and etc. Theres even apartments in that mall-type place.
There's no mall in downtown Ithaca.

The commons, in downtown Ithaca, is actually a pedestrian MALL. It's not a strip mall.

User avatar
PinkCow

Silver
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by PinkCow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:51 am

kn6542 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Question from a naive west coaster: What is up with all the rust? Seriously, like every other car there looked diseased.
You couldn't figure this out by just thinking?

Well, you see, I live in a climate very similar to Ithaca, yet the average car doesn't look nearly as shredded. I realize they salt the roads more than here, and I know that has something to do with it. Just thought there was extra info.

I'll show myself out. :oops:

User avatar
mths

Silver
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by mths » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm

japes wrote:How accurate is Cornell's rep for being the most studious law school in the t14? How bad are gunners?
Not bad at all. Also, the fucking least of your worries :)

Law school is always going to be hard no matter where you are and there will always be people that "gun". Personally I don't think we have many gunners and the ones we do have are not an issue.

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

mths wrote:
japes wrote:How accurate is Cornell's rep for being the most studious law school in the t14? How bad are gunners?
Not bad at all. Also, the fucking least of your worries :)

Law school is always going to be hard no matter where you are and there will always be people that "gun". Personally I don't think we have many gunners and the ones we do have are not an issue.
Or is cornell so gunnerific that you're all gunners and don't notice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
Other25BeforeYou

Silver
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
japes wrote:How accurate is Cornell's rep for being the most studious law school in the t14? How bad are gunners?
Not bad at all. Also, the fucking least of your worries :)

Law school is always going to be hard no matter where you are and there will always be people that "gun". Personally I don't think we have many gunners and the ones we do have are not an issue.
Or is cornell so gunnerific that you're all gunners and don't notice?
Definitely not gunnerific. The vast majority of people will not talk in lecture classes unless explicitly called on (or sometimes if no one will raise their hand and the professor has that "I'm seriously not moving on until one of you answers" look on his or her face).

FiveSermon

Gold
Posts: 1505
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by FiveSermon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Do serious gunners have friends in law school?

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou

Silver
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Do serious gunners have friends in law school?
Yeah. Most people who gun in class are actually really pleasant to converse with outside of class, in my experience.

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:Do serious gunners have friends in law school?
Yeah. Most people who gun in class are actually really pleasant to converse with outside of class, in my experience.
That's good, because I'm almost certainly gonna be an unintentional gunner (I participate in classes. That's how I learn :-/ )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
vexion

Bronze
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by vexion » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:That's good, because I'm almost certainly gonna be an unintentional gunner (I participate in classes. That's how I learn :-/ )
That's called intentional gunning. You've got the mens rea.

User avatar
Juff

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Juff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 pm

vexion wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:That's good, because I'm almost certainly gonna be an unintentional gunner (I participate in classes. That's how I learn :-/ )
That's called intentional gunning. You've got the mens rea.
Good thing he sticks with the MPC.

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Juff wrote:
vexion wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:That's good, because I'm almost certainly gonna be an unintentional gunner (I participate in classes. That's how I learn :-/ )
That's called intentional gunning. You've got the mens rea.
Good thing he sticks with the MPC.
What's this MPC?

User avatar
Juff

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Juff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Juff wrote:
vexion wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:That's good, because I'm almost certainly gonna be an unintentional gunner (I participate in classes. That's how I learn :-/ )
That's called intentional gunning. You've got the mens rea.
Good thing he sticks with the MPC.
What's this MPC?
A terrible, terrible joke.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
coldshoulder

Silver
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 am

You guys know anybody from Utah? I'm wondering if being from a state that typically doesn't place very often in the T14 could actually help me a bit in applying to Cornell. About the most diverse this upper-middle class white kid is going to get.

Edit:
Second question: What is the ED process at Cornell? The latest I'll be applying will be right when I get my October LSAT results back, so I'll still be quite early in the cycle. Tips on catering my application and ED decision as much as possible to Cornell, as it's my first choice?

CyLaw

Gold
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by CyLaw » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 am

coldshoulder wrote:You guys know anybody from Utah? I'm wondering if being from a state that typically doesn't place very often in the T14 could actually help me a bit in applying to Cornell. About the most diverse this upper-middle class white kid is going to get.

Edit:
Second question: What is the ED process at Cornell? The latest I'll be applying will be right when I get my October LSAT results back, so I'll still be quite early in the cycle. Tips on catering my application and ED decision as much as possible to Cornell, as it's my first choice?
I don't know of anyone from Utah (at Cornell), but home state / school state does not matter (I'm "from" Iowa and doubt it helped at all in my app).

Cornell does not have ED, they have EA which is non-binding and generally does not give you any benefit in application other than being notified before New Years instead of being notified in Feb or Mar. The only process for it is to get your app in before the EA deadline (Nov 1), go complete before the EA complete deadline (Nov 15) and to check the EA box.

User avatar
Ostrizr316

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Ostrizr316 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
japes wrote:How accurate is Cornell's rep for being the most studious law school in the t14? How bad are gunners?
Not bad at all. Also, the fucking least of your worries :)

Law school is always going to be hard no matter where you are and there will always be people that "gun". Personally I don't think we have many gunners and the ones we do have are not an issue.
Or is cornell so gunnerific that you're all gunners and don't notice?
Definitely not gunnerific. The vast majority of people will not talk in lecture classes unless explicitly called on (or sometimes if no one will raise their hand and the professor has that "I'm seriously not moving on until one of you answers" look on his or her face).
As for Cornell's reputation for being the most studious, I would say that while the workload is substantial, it is what you make of it. Cornell's first year program is substantially more intense than most other T-14. We have a full year of Contracts and Civil Procedure with tests for both at the end of each semester. We also have Constitutional Law as a required first year course, which ends up giving you two 16 credit semesters in your first year with 4 substantive classes. We also have graded legal writing (or "lawyering" as they call it here). This causes everyone to freak out in the first semester since you go almost 8 weeks without a graded assignment, and then get something that you'll actually get feedback on.

The flip side of this is because of Cornell's small size, close community, and god-awful weather, people are generally nice to each other. While there are 'gunners' in each class, I've never had to worry about pages getting ripped out of my books or someone not sharing notes. There are people who love to hear themselves talk and lack the social perception to realize that everyone groans when they do, but these people are the exception and not the norm here.

If you are the type that learns by participating, my advice is to participate by asking the professor questions and not by spewing off your opinion or interpretation of the reading. If you feel like you have something to say, 9 times out of 10 there's someone else who will say it or the person being socraticized will figure it out. Phrase your comments as questions which would allow the professor to clarify the doctrine (instead of giving your interpretation of what you think it is). Example:

Wrong: "I think that the court's determination is wrong in this case because the person's actions were reasonable since he was only trying to help his friend"

Right: "How do subjective factors, such as the fact that the person was trying to help his friend, come into play in this area of law? If the doctrine employs a reasonableness standard, why does the court ignore that here?"

Hope this helps.

Arbiter213

Gold
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Ostrizr316 wrote:
Hope this helps.
It does, thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
mths

Silver
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by mths » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Juff wrote:
vexion wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:That's good, because I'm almost certainly gonna be an unintentional gunner (I participate in classes. That's how I learn :-/ )
That's called intentional gunning. You've got the mens rea.
Good thing he sticks with the MPC.
This is why people hate law students

User avatar
mths

Silver
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by mths » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Ostrizr316 wrote:
As for Cornell's reputation for being the most studious, I would say that while the workload is substantial, it is what you make of it. Cornell's first year program is substantially more intense than most other T-14. We have a full year of Contracts and Civil Procedure with tests for both at the end of each semester. We also have Constitutional Law as a required first year course, which ends up giving you two 16 credit semesters in your first year with 4 substantive classes. We also have graded legal writing (or "lawyering" as they call it here). This causes everyone to freak out in the first semester since you go almost 8 weeks without a graded assignment, and then get something that you'll actually get feedback on.

The flip side of this is because of Cornell's small size, close community, and god-awful weather, people are generally nice to each other. While there are 'gunners' in each class, I've never had to worry about pages getting ripped out of my books or someone not sharing notes. There are people who love to hear themselves talk and lack the social perception to realize that everyone groans when they do, but these people are the exception and not the norm here.

If you are the type that learns by participating, my advice is to participate by asking the professor questions and not by spewing off your opinion or interpretation of the reading. If you feel like you have something to say, 9 times out of 10 there's someone else who will say it or the person being socraticized will figure it out. Phrase your comments as questions which would allow the professor to clarify the doctrine (instead of giving your interpretation of what you think it is). Example:

Wrong: "I think that the court's determination is wrong in this case because the person's actions were reasonable since he was only trying to help his friend"

Right: "How do subjective factors, such as the fact that the person was trying to help his friend, come into play in this area of law? If the doctrine employs a reasonableness standard, why does the court ignore that here?"

Hope this helps.
I just want your opinions on Contracts...all I want

super subtle tls name btw ;)

User avatar
koalatriste

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by koalatriste » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

mths wrote:
Ostrizr316 wrote:
As for Cornell's reputation for being the most studious, I would say that while the workload is substantial, it is what you make of it. Cornell's first year program is substantially more intense than most other T-14. We have a full year of Contracts and Civil Procedure with tests for both at the end of each semester. We also have Constitutional Law as a required first year course, which ends up giving you two 16 credit semesters in your first year with 4 substantive classes. We also have graded legal writing (or "lawyering" as they call it here). This causes everyone to freak out in the first semester since you go almost 8 weeks without a graded assignment, and then get something that you'll actually get feedback on.

The flip side of this is because of Cornell's small size, close community, and god-awful weather, people are generally nice to each other. While there are 'gunners' in each class, I've never had to worry about pages getting ripped out of my books or someone not sharing notes. There are people who love to hear themselves talk and lack the social perception to realize that everyone groans when they do, but these people are the exception and not the norm here.

If you are the type that learns by participating, my advice is to participate by asking the professor questions and not by spewing off your opinion or interpretation of the reading. If you feel like you have something to say, 9 times out of 10 there's someone else who will say it or the person being socraticized will figure it out. Phrase your comments as questions which would allow the professor to clarify the doctrine (instead of giving your interpretation of what you think it is). Example:

Wrong: "I think that the court's determination is wrong in this case because the person's actions were reasonable since he was only trying to help his friend"

Right: "How do subjective factors, such as the fact that the person was trying to help his friend, come into play in this area of law? If the doctrine employs a reasonableness standard, why does the court ignore that here?"

Hope this helps.
I just want your opinions on Contracts...all I want

super subtle tls name btw ;)
super subtle avatar. ;-)

shakingpaper

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by shakingpaper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 pm

How much debt is Cornell worth? (i.e. please provide an encouraging story about people you know getting a good job in their target market.... sigh)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
Ikki

Bronze
Posts: 404
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Ikki » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm

shakingpaper wrote:How much debt is Cornell worth? (i.e. please provide an encouraging story about people you know getting a good job in their target market.... sigh)
Good question, I would guess anything above $100k is probably pushing it.

User avatar
spacepenguin

Silver
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by spacepenguin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Ikki wrote:
shakingpaper wrote:How much debt is Cornell worth? (i.e. please provide an encouraging story about people you know getting a good job in their target market.... sigh)
Good question, I would guess anything above $100k is probably pushing it.

COA is $216K

So what you're saying is that everyone, except those who got a Dean's Scholarship, are probably pushing it? Don't be such a downer.

User avatar
PinkCow

Silver
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by PinkCow » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:39 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
Ikki wrote:
shakingpaper wrote:How much debt is Cornell worth? (i.e. please provide an encouraging story about people you know getting a good job in their target market.... sigh)
Good question, I would guess anything above $100k is probably pushing it.

COA is $216K

So what you're saying is that everyone, except those who got a Dean's Scholarship, are probably pushing it? Don't be such a downer.

Haha I was hoping everyone didn't share his sentiments. I'll be lucky to get out with <$160k

User avatar
spacepenguin

Silver
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by spacepenguin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Any student's want to chime in on Novarr-Mackesey properties? Rent? Mainly undergrads? Don't waste my time?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”