Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iMisto

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by iMisto » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:41 pm

ithacais wrote:
iMisto wrote:
Is getting offered a LR position ridiculously hard? It seems like Cornell goes to great lengths to ensure people who really want it have an opportunity to get on.. or am I misinterpreting the information?
Huh? ~42 LR spots are available. Most people (with the exception of the JD/MBA folks and some outliers) participate in the competition. Getting on isn't easy.
I never said it wasn't easy. I said it appears to me, that people have the opportunity to get on. I'm wondering how hard it is. :roll:

Anybody willing to answer my other questions above?

muddup

New

Post by muddup » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks Ithacais.

I'm also wondering if anyone can shed some light on Eisenberg's 1L Contracts exam? Most importantly, was it open-book in previous years? (I need to know how much notes I should be taking inside my books)

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:15 pm

iMisto wrote:As a 0L, I apologize now. :oops:

Is getting offered a LR position ridiculously hard? It seems like Cornell goes to great lengths to ensure people who really want it have an opportunity to get on.. or am I misinterpreting the information?

Also, is it extremely helpful to be on LR if you want BigLaw?? How detrimental is it if you don't get on? Lastly, is it so time-consuming that it can adversely affect your grades?

Why am I already stressing about this? :cry:
Cornell goes to no lengths. If you have good grades and do well on the writing competition you have a shot at getting on.

It's helpful. Unclear how helpful. It's incredibly time consuming.

You need a xanax.

Asleep

New

Post by Asleep » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 pm

mths wrote:
iMisto wrote:As a 0L, I apologize now. :oops:

Also, is it extremely helpful to be on LR if you want BigLaw?? How detrimental is it if you don't get on? Lastly, is it so time-consuming that it can adversely affect your grades?

Why am I already stressing about this? :cry:
Cornell goes to no lengths. If you have good grades and do well on the writing competition you have a shot at getting on.

It's helpful. Unclear how helpful. It's incredibly time consuming.

You need a xanax.
I think the poster might be confusing LR with journals in general. Because we have such a small class size and three journals, you have a pretty good shot at getting a spot on one of the journals.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:58 am

I wasn't confusing the journals with LR. Cornell's website just seems to depict it as less than a nightmare to get on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 am

iMisto wrote:I wasn't confusing the journals with LR. Cornell's website just seems to depict it as less than a nightmare to get on.

Wait until the writing competition :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But you are right in a way. It's not like HLS where there are 600 students and only like 20 journal spots. The small size and somewhat larger 2L membership (I think like 35?) definitely makes your odds comparatively better, ut it's not like anybody who puts merely a good faith effort will be on LR.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:07 pm

PinkCow wrote:
iMisto wrote:I wasn't confusing the journals with LR. Cornell's website just seems to depict it as less than a nightmare to get on.

Wait until the writing competition :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But you are right in a way. It's not like HLS where there are 600 students and only like 20 journal spots. The small size and somewhat larger 2L membership (I think like 35?) definitely makes your odds comparatively better, ut it's not like anybody who puts merely a good faith effort will be on LR.
I see... Thank you!

muddup

New

Post by muddup » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:47 pm

muddup wrote:Thanks Ithacais.

I'm also wondering if anyone can shed some light on Eisenberg's 1L Contracts exam? Most importantly, was it open-book in previous years? (I need to know how much notes I should be taking inside my books)
Anyone...?

ithacais

New

Post by ithacais » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:11 pm

muddup wrote:

Anyone...?
It was open book last year. Fairly straight forward exam. Multiple choice and a long hypo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Is it easy to get around Ithaca without a car?

Is it common for students to live in student apartments?

thanks for doing this

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes and yes

I would say most 1ls don't have cars. Bus is free first year.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:58 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:Yes and yes

Good to know. I want to pull out my foldable dahon.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:41 pm

You don't HAVE to have a car, but it certainly makes life easier for me. Plus, I imagine it would be nice not to have to wait on the bus or walk when it's freezing outside
timeandspace11 wrote:Is it easy to get around Ithaca without a car?

thanks for doing this

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:39 pm

iMisto wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:Yes and yes

Good to know. I want to pull out my foldable dahon.
LOL. You're never going to make it up the hill with one of these.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Is it easy to get around Ithaca without a car?

thanks for doing this
Another comment for the whole car thing. I don't have a car. I live in the graduate housing right next to the law school so there is always somebody going to the grocery store. It's a pretty good idea to live in the graduate housing (hughes) if you don't have a car. However, I have heard that the bus service is pretty good I wouldn't know personally.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:22 pm

bus is not good for wegmans. it takes you there in like 20 minutes but for some reason the way back takes 40. If you're down to dedicate like a whole afternoon to groceries then yeah its alright but I'd highly recommend figuring out rides.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 pm

HAHAHA!! I have one of the larger models - the Dahon Espresso.

That shit is too funny. lmao

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 pm

iMisto wrote:HAHAHA!! I have one of the larger models - the Dahon Espresso.

That shit is too funny. lmao
...What's so funny?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Imagining myself trying to roll up the hill on one of those tiny dahons. :lol:

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:05 pm

I know Rossi hasn't taught Civ Pro in a while, but does anyone know what his exam structure/focus is?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I know Rossi hasn't taught Civ Pro in a while, but does anyone know what his exam structure/focus is?
heard from a 3L its like the hypos he gives in class. Long story issue spotter. Don't know much more than that though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:17 pm

ithacais wrote:
muddup wrote:

Anyone...?
It was open book last year. Fairly straight forward exam. Multiple choice and a long hypo.
Hillman's hornbook works for that class. On the final, Eisenberg was literally using questions out of the hornbook and using the same names like Ajax and Alice. He really doesn't care about that class. lol.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:22 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:
ithacais wrote:
muddup wrote:

Anyone...?
Hillman's hornbook works for that class. On the final, Eisenberg was literally using questions out of the hornbook and using the same names like Ajax and Alice. He really doesn't care about that class. lol.
Does this bother you as a student that your professor doesn't care enough about his class to manufacture an original exam? You're paying potentially $200k to attend this prestigious university and the professor doesn't care enough to not life his test material from a hornbook?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:06 pm

cahwc12 wrote: Does this bother you as a student that your professor doesn't care enough about his class to manufacture an original exam? You're paying potentially $200k to attend this prestigious university and the professor doesn't care enough to not life his test material from a hornbook?
Does it bother you that you're dumb?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:41 pm

PinkCow wrote:
cahwc12 wrote: Does this bother you as a student that your professor doesn't care enough about his class to manufacture an original exam? You're paying potentially $200k to attend this prestigious university and the professor doesn't care enough to not life his test material from a hornbook?
Does it bother you that you're dumb?
Haha!! Right? I'm like, sign me up with this guy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”