Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kn6542

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 pm

CampbellRh wrote:
kn6542 wrote: I think I saw you one day during registration. That's it. Where do you hide?
The library/my room-in Hughes-to do work. Where do you hide?
I study exclusively at home; my home is very exclusive.

I haven't even been in the library since ASW.

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm

kn6542 wrote:
I wish I knew anything at all about football so I could bond with people over it and slap guys on the back and stuff. Shit.

It turned out that I had free cable at my apt for the last three weeks and I didn't even know it until the cable guy shows up to "install" it. :(
That sucks. You could have "borrowed" it for free all year.

I can slap you on the back when discussing Griswold if it would make you feel better.

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm

kn6542 wrote:
I wish I knew anything at all about football so I could bond with people over it and slap guys on the back and stuff. Shit.
The basics are actually really easy to understand if you learn it while actually watching a game.
I'm sure any of us would be happy to teach you!

And it isn't usually a bonding experience...for me, it is usually people hating on me for being a pats fan...so I guess that will depend on who you're supporting.

We should find a bar playing games and have a TLS football watching party.

And, you should study in the library just once so I can meet you. Three weeks in and I don't know alot of TLSers...and I find that very sad.

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:13 pm

campbell, there's a legal remedy for that.

tls get together.
(ill be there this time, i promise!)

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:15 pm

joonbug wrote:campbell, there's a legal remedy for that.

tls get together.
I'm pretty sure we are going to have to extract something for that promise...otherwise, I dont think we can trust you given prior history....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:16 pm

tls get together.
Agreed...and I won't flake this time either!

Sidenote: TLS is really distracting me from Civ Pro...no wonder my average hours are high.

joonbug

Bronze

Post by joonbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:22 pm

LeahNic wrote:

tls get together.
I'm pretty sure we are going to have to extract something for that promise...otherwise, I dont think we can trust you given prior history....
oh man.. i totally lost street cred here.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:58 pm

LeahNic wrote:
kn6542 wrote:

It turned out that I had free cable at my apt for the last three weeks and I didn't even know it until the cable guy shows up to "install" it. :(
That sucks. You could have "borrowed" it for free all year.

I can slap you on the back when discussing Griswold if it would make you feel better.
Condom distribution FTW! *high five*

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:18 am

what the fuck is this, the cornell class of 11 thread?
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:01 am

I really do want to hear more questions...

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:33 am

neskerdoo wrote:I really do want to hear more questions...
Is there anyone in your classes that laughs really loudly, you know, just to break up the monotony? I don't want to attend a school with no guffawers.

Elliot

New

Post by Elliot » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:40 am

For those of you who lived outside the northeast before attending, and in particular those who didn't have much experience renting apartments beforehand, how hard was it to find a place to live in Ithaca? Is the available housing close enough to the law school to suffice without a car? Moreover, can you get to the grocery and other such stores relatively easily without a car?

In regards to the law school itself, even though you've only attended a few weeks, all the Cornell 1L's on TLS seem relatively pleased with their school. Is there anything unique to Cornell that has made it so?

Lastly, how does the Cornell law school environment compare to your time in undergrad? It's more work I would assume but is it honestly different in any tangible ways?

Thanks.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:38 am

CampbellRh wrote:
And it isn't usually a bonding experience...for me, it is usually people hating on me for being a pats fan...so I guess
Ugh, this might warrant some defriending action on facebook.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:45 am

woeisme wrote:
CampbellRh wrote:
And it isn't usually a bonding experience...for me, it is usually people hating on me for being a pats fan...so I guess
Ugh, this might warrant some defriending action on facebook.
I'm sorry, I can't help it...I was raised this way. :(

To be fair...I would adore them even if they were awful!
In fact, I might prefer it that way...because then I might be able to afford tickets to the games.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 am

Elliot wrote:For those of you who lived outside the northeast before attending, and in particular those who didn't have much experience renting apartments beforehand, how hard was it to find a place to live in Ithaca? Is the available housing close enough to the law school to suffice without a car? Moreover, can you get to the grocery and other such stores relatively easily without a car?

In regards to the law school itself, even though you've only attended a few weeks, all the Cornell 1L's on TLS seem relatively pleased with their school. Is there anything unique to Cornell that has made it so?

Lastly, how does the Cornell law school environment compare to your time in undergrad? It's more work I would assume but is it honestly different in any tangible ways?

Thanks.
A car is helpful, but certainly not necessary. There's also public transportation and Cornell buses that make stops at popular places.

I did not have much trouble finding a place in Ithaca at all. There are LOTS of housing options. I wouldn't advise putting your search off until last minute, but everyone finds a place, and I've yet to hear of any horror stories.

Cornell is incredible. So far I'm having a great time. I love the school, the town, the people, etc. It's entirely possible that I just like law school in general and would be this happy anywhere, but I'm not really so convinced. There's a strong sense of camaraderie here.

I'd think that making a general statement about how Cornell Law compares to undergrad would be difficult to do since the undergraduate experience varies so much between people and schools. I'll have to think about this one a bit more, I'm not sure I have a strong enough opinion yet. I certainly am enjoying Cornell as much, if not more, than undergrad, that's for sure (at least thus far).

CampbellRh

Bronze

Post by CampbellRh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:54 am

Elliot wrote:For those of you who lived outside the northeast before attending, and in particular those who didn't have much experience renting apartments beforehand, how hard was it to find a place to live in Ithaca? Is the available housing close enough to the law school to suffice without a car? Moreover, can you get to the grocery and other such stores relatively easily without a car?

Thanks.
1) I've always lived in the northeast, and I just signed up for the law school dorm, so the first portion of this question is not for me. And I have a car, so, again, not much help...but, other people seem to be getting just fine...the public transportation seems to be pretty good. There is a bus that leaves right from collegetown (2 min walk from the school) that heads to the grocery store like every hour (i think).

2) I'm so happy with my decision. I think what I found here, that I didn't feel when visiting other schools, was the lack of strong competition. I have found everyone to be friendly and helpful and willing to discuss cases/theories/etc openly. (Maybe its because we're a small school and if you're that much of an a-hole you'll have no friends?)

3) Its WAY more work (though, I did pretty much nothing in undergrad...so, bad comparison). The level of discussion among my classmates is of a significantly better quality, which is both refreshing and intimidating--and that is def. the biggest difference.

Yay for getting the thread back on track :)

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks.
I'll add my two cents to my classmates.

1. I dont have a car and I live 2.5 miles from the law school. I havent noticed it being much of a problem, except that the last bus to get where I live leaves at 12:30 am on Fri and Sat. So, no late night drinking for me unless I want to take a cab. (and those really arent that expensive-- and I think the bars close fairly early here). I live across the highway from a grocery store so thats no problem.
2. FInding a place is not difficult unless you have a dog. Then it gets tougher particularly if its a big dog. Mine is 9 lbs so they "considered her a cat" at some places.
3. I dont know if cornell is unique. I do think everyone is friendly and gets along well.
4. for my UG time-- I'd say the work load is more. But, I dont feel like I am drowning. ( I did the first 3 days, but I got over that.) My professors are incredible and class discussions for the most part are great. I'm REALLY enjoying law school overall and like woeisme said, I 'm not sure if that's Cornell, or if because I would just love law school anywhere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:56 pm

My $.009

Cornell is awesome, and as the majority of others on this thread would agree, it's most awesome if you're in section A--because then you get to witness professor Alexander's comedy routines performed in extremely classy English suits, and Hillman's awkward moments after students make jokes.

I don't have a car and live on campus, and have had absolutely no inconvenience whatsoever. Sometimes I wish there were a better grocery store nearby (I do my grocery shopping at a small convenient store whose produce section contains only spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and, surprisingly, avocados)--so my meals alternate between avocado stir fry and avocado spaghetti.

I feel like the workload is similar to my undergrad, just different in kind--you get used to it

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:57 pm

I'd rate the professors pretty highly across the board. Of course some are more intimidating than others (at least I think so), but every one I've talked to either in office hours or after class has been very open to questions, and not at all dismissive. joonbug told me I was yelling at a professor after class (I still don't think I was) but he took it well, and answered my question anyway.

I second sbrown83 on Hillman. The man is like the nerdy kid with a pocket protector in grade school, fifty or so years later (in a good way), and hilariously awkward in his own right. As for the workload, I do "study" a lot, but it's constantly interspersed with baseball, and now football, so I don't study efficiently. If you can keep your efficiency up, the workload is heavy, but definitely manageable.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:18 pm

Hillman is probably the funniest professor I have ever had

hayman

New

Post by hayman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:53 pm

for those of you who chose Cornell over other T14s, what made you go with Cornell? Is it cuz it's gorges?
and for the asian folks...did you feel that you had to have better numbers than the rest to get admitted?
I'm hearing so many conflicting stories..some say you need stronger numbers than everyone, esp. for the schools at the top. But at the same time I hear some T1, T2 schools will actually gladly take asians w/o the excessive numbers because some schools don't have an over-representation of asians.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 pm

My experience isn't directly applicable, but it might be helpful. I identified as both Asian and White on the app stuff, and I certainly didn't have numbers far in excess of the medians--PM me for exact details. In any case, I was no slam-dunk acceptance, so if any extrapolations is possible, it is that people who identify as Asians do not need better than average number as such. Hope that helps.

dudesweet

New

Post by dudesweet » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 am

How attractive are the women at Cornell?

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:31 am

please refer back to the "most attractive student body" thread, where several cornell 1Ls confirmed an answer to this question.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:33 am

sbrown83 wrote:please refer back to the "most attractive student body" thread, where several cornell 1Ls confirmed an answer to this question.
That's sweetdude's own thread. Is he retarded?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”