Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
CR2012 wrote:Will we ever find out what the actual curve was for 1L Fall Semester?
They publish a book with each class's grade distribution. There's not actually a unified curve, because not everyone has the same professors. That said, it's almost certainly something like a 3.48
You think 40% of the class is within .29 of each other?
Explain what you mean?
He means because the difference between 3.48 (proposed median) and 3.77(top 10%) is .29.

Personally, I don't find it too far-fetched if the majority of the grades given out are A- and B+.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Lavitz wrote: He means because the difference between 3.48 (proposed median) and 3.77(top 10%) is .29.

Personally, I don't find it too far-fetched if the majority of the grades given out are A- and B+.
Oh, then yes, absolutely. Something like a third of the class is clustered tightly around median. That's how a bell curve works.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Applying to judges. One judge goes by an initial for his first name. EX: "S. Bill Stevenson" (not his name). I have discovered his first name.

When addressing my cover letter/envelope, should I simply use the initial, or his first name.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:16 pm

CR2012 wrote:Applying to judges. One judge goes by an initial for his first name. EX: "S. Bill Stevenson" (not his name). I have discovered his first name.

When addressing my cover letter/envelope, should I simply use the initial, or his first name.

Are you serious?

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
CR2012 wrote:Applying to judges. One judge goes by an initial for his first name. EX: "S. Bill Stevenson" (not his name). I have discovered his first name.

Are you serious?
Yup.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 am

CR2012 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Are you serious?
Yup.
Address the letter properly, e.g.,

The Honorable S. Bill Stevenson
S. Bill Stevenson Federal Building and Courthouse
123 Court House Lane
Courtsville, NY 12345

The letter should start:

Dear Judge Stevenson,

jwD13

New

Post by jwD13 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:55 pm

anybody know when 2L/3L GPA information/class rank is supposed to come out? They must have it by now right?

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
CR2012 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Are you serious?
Yup.
Address the letter properly, e.g.,

The Honorable S. Bill Stevenson
S. Bill Stevenson Federal Building and Courthouse
123 Court House Lane
Courtsville, NY 12345

The letter should start:

Dear Judge Stevenson,
Thanks, Arbiter!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm

jwD13 wrote:anybody know when 2L/3L GPA information/class rank is supposed to come out? They must have it by now right?
Early February. As for why it takes this long, I have no idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:55 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
jwD13 wrote:anybody know when 2L/3L GPA information/class rank is supposed to come out? They must have it by now right?
https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... y_2014.pdf

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:02 pm

newbienew wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
https://support.law.cornell.edu/student ... y_2014.pdf
Interesting that the 10% cutoff dropped across the board, and 5% cutoff went up.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 am

Anybody looking to get Boston biglaw from your class or that you know of from the 2Ls and 3Ls? Or more generally speaking, have you come across many New Englanders looking to get back to the region from Cornell? I'm particularly interested in hearing about possible stories of people ranking below median and getting back to the Boston area for biglaw. I would think there isn't much competition at the school for such positions, given that many are going for NYC, but of course there is plenty of competition at the other t14s and places like BU/BC. Thanks!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Otunga wrote:Anybody looking to get Boston biglaw from your class or that you know of from the 2Ls and 3Ls? Or more generally speaking, have you come across many New Englanders looking to get back to the region from Cornell? I'm particularly interested in hearing about possible stories of people ranking below median and getting back to the Boston area for biglaw. I would think there isn't much competition at the school for such positions, given that many are going for NYC, but of course there is plenty of competition at the other t14s and places like BU/BC. Thanks!
So Cornell has two major recruiting events that can give you access to Boston, our standard OCI (what we call AJF) and the Boston Job fair. At OCI, the top Boston firms (e.g. Ropes, WilmerHale) all come and generally require good to very good grades (independent of ties, as I know several current students that got callbacks with no ties whatsoever). At the Boston job fair (which is held at a hotel in Boston), the rest of the Boston firms come, and are generally more tie-sensitive. From data I have, at least 3 of these firms frequently callback students that are below median here.

What I would take from this data is this: Boston is an accessible market at Cornell for those with ties, and an option for those without ties but that have good grades. Feel free to PM any more specific questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:05 pm

I know 2L spring externship only takes ~20 people. I've heard it's more "competitive" than the 3L fall program. What criteria is looked at to choose who gets into the spring externship?

Miss_Sunshine

New

Post by Miss_Sunshine » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Does anyone know roughly how many 2Ls typically choose to summer in biglaw DC firms? It seems to be a much more rare choice than NY or even CA.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:48 pm

What is the easiest way to get to Ithaca if one has to fly to New York.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:50 pm

deputydog wrote:What is the easiest way to get to Ithaca if one has to fly to New York.
airplane

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:54 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
deputydog wrote:What is the easiest way to get to Ithaca if one has to fly to New York.
airplane
Ok, let me rephrase. Is it best to fly to ithaca's airport or fly to a larger regional airport and bus/train in? If so, what are the options?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:58 pm

deputydog wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
airplane
Ok, let me rephrase. Is it best to fly to ithaca's airport or fly to a larger regional airport and bus/train in? If so, what are the options?
Depending on where you are coming from, it'll likely be cheapest to fly into JFK/EWR/LGA and take a bus to Ithaca. The cheapest bus option is the Shortline (http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/). You may also have luck flying into Syracuse and taking a bus from there (it is only about an hour drive from Syracuse-Ithaca), which would take less time. I would be shocked if flying into Ithaca were cheaper than either of these options.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:01 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
deputydog wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
airplane
Depending on where you are coming from, it'll likely be cheapest to fly into JFK/EWR/LGA and take a bus to Ithaca. The cheapest bus option is the Shortline (http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/). You may also have luck flying into Syracuse and taking a bus from there (it is only about an hour drive from Syracuse-Ithaca), which would take less time. I would be shocked if flying into Ithaca were cheaper than either of these options.
Do not do either of these things. The bus from NYC is pretty expensive and takes forever, because Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. The Syracuse option is less bad, but you probably wouldn't be saving enough money to sign up for all the aggravation. Usually people fly into Philly and transfer on to one of those tiny planes to Ithaca airport.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:30 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
Do not do either of these things. The bus from NYC is pretty expensive and takes forever, because Ithaca is in the middle of nowhere. The Syracuse option is less bad, but you probably wouldn't be saving enough money to sign up for all the aggravation. Usually people fly into Philly and transfer on to one of those tiny planes to Ithaca airport.
This. For a money/time compromise, though, flying into NYC and taking the Campus to Campus bus from Midtown to Ithaca is a great option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
This. For a money/time compromise, though, flying into NYC and taking the Campus to Campus bus from Midtown to Ithaca is a great option.
I wouldn't even recommend that. Round trip c2c will run you about $165, and you still have to get from whatever airport to midtown, which takes time and money. Just fly into Ithaca. Trying to get around it just invites all sorts of complications that aren't worth the $50 or whatever that you would save.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info bros. One last question, how much is the cab to Cornell from the airport or is the a better option (e.g., shuttle)?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:41 pm

deputydog wrote:Thanks for the info bros. One last question, how much is the cab to Cornell from the airport or is the a better option (e.g., shuttle)?
There's a TCAT bus if you're talking about Ithaca airport, but the Cab wouldn't be too bad.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:42 pm

A cab is like $20. I think the TCAT (the bus) goes there, but I'm not sure. Most people I knew just conned a friend into picking them up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”