Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
iMisto

Silver

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by iMisto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm

msblaw89 wrote: Just my opinion
1. Time Warner - about $39 a month but I have one of the upgraded internet packages
2. Not impossible you could def bike or walk no problem in the warmer months, probably wouldn't be too fun right about now. But you get a free bus pass your first year and the bus runs downtown every 9 minutes
3. I have had the iPhone since it was birthed. Currently have the iPhone 5 wouldn't chose anything else
Thank you!

1. That sounds pricey.
2. I have a car, but I'd prefer to walk as much as possible. Do you happen to know if parking sucks when living downtown? Do you know the price of parking permits on campus?
3. What's your monthly bill? Do you know anybody using iPhone with prepaid service?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm

iMisto wrote:
1. Time Warner - about $39 a month but I have one of the upgraded internet packages
2. Not impossible you could def bike or walk no problem in the warmer months, probably wouldn't be too fun right about now. But you get a free bus pass your first year and the bus runs downtown every 9 minutes
3. I have had the iPhone since it was birthed. Currently have the iPhone 5 wouldn't chose anything else
Thank you!

1. That sounds pricey.
2. I have a car, but I'd prefer to walk as much as possible. Do you happen to know if parking sucks when living downtown? Do you know the price of parking permits on campus?
3. What's your monthly bill? Do you know anybody using iPhone with prepaid service?
I wouldn't even buy cable. If I really want to watch a show I just watch it on my laptop for free. Otherwise I'm usually too busy to actually watch TV.

I think its better living close to the law school. I live in hughes and love it. (the dorm right next to the law school). I def understand that some people really like to get away tho once not at school.

Can't help out about the phone.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm

I don't plan on having cable - haven't had tv for about 5 years. ??

I'm sure being close to or on campus is nice, but I despise loud party animals and I can't have roommates.

stress levels rising

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Parking permits are ~$725 a year, I believe.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 pm

newbienew wrote:Parking permits are ~$725 a year, I believe.
:shock:

What about parking at one's home? Is it mostly on street, or off street?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:46 pm

iMisto wrote:
Thank you!

1. That sounds pricey.
I think the cheapest is about $19 a month....parking kind of sucks. There are several parking garages and metered parking everywhere ( lifted after 5 and on weekends). I live in a building that has its own lot, so I pay and additional $50 a month for parking. In collegtown, it is not uncommon for parking to be about $200 a month for apartment complexes, but I can't speak for individual landlords. And forget a parking permit on campus.... the only one you are able to buy is no where near the law school and it will cost you and arm and a leg.
Hughes is also gone after next year so I hear....Every area has its own feel. I chose downtown because if I wanted to I could walk to the law school ( but it is a 2 minute drive literally) and it is also close to Wal-Mart, Wegman's, Staples, etc.
Some people LOVE college town, but most of the 1L's I know who live there used to be in a frat house in undergrad and are currently rooming with 5 or so roommates

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Oh my.

So, I'm definitely living downtown. Hopefully, I can find a place that will have space for my car. I'm nervous about leasing an apartment and leaving for the summer.. If I do internships/SA in the city, what am I supposed to do with my car? Ughhh. Should I just sell it, or is it nice to have in Ithaca? :oops:

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm

iMisto wrote:Oh my.

So, I'm definitely living downtown. Hopefully, I can find a place that will have space for my car. I'm nervous about leasing an apartment and leaving for the summer.. If I do internships/SA in the city, what am I supposed to do with my car? Ughhh. Should I just sell it, or is it nice to have in Ithaca? :oops:
Have you looked into some of the apartments complexes that are in North Campus?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

Have you looked into some of the apartments complexes that are in North Campus?
No. I've only looked at some online listings in college town and downtown.

Is 'North Campus' a decent location?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:08 pm

sorry thats what you get one you don't read lol. You'd probably hate hughes then because that's all we really do. Definitely recommend living alone somewhere else.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Assuming you live < 12 hours away from Ithaca (and that you will be traveling home on breaks), there's no reason not to have a car.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, home is actually in AZ.. so I doubt I'll be driving out there. I'll probably just visit friends in the city.

When getting an apartment, do you guys generally just bite the bullet and pay through the summer/sublet, or do you sign shorter leases (i.e. 9mo)?

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

got a few questions.

1. how does law review work? I heard 45 people get selected. and its half based on your GPA half on writing thingy. is that correct? top X% automatically make it based off grades?

2. what exactly do employers get to see about grades. they get to see what gpa = top 10% . anything else? do they just know the median is 3.35- 3.5 or do they get to find out the actual median which is around 3.46 for 1L's ?

thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:59 pm

1. http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/resear ... bylaws.cfm

2. Pretty sure employers only see the grade report that includes grading policies and the 10%. Vault associates do lurk these boards, though.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm

I understand that students probably dont like talking about their loan amounts often, but would you say a substantial number of students pay sticker at Cornell?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:I understand that students probably dont like talking about their loan amounts often, but would you say a substantial number of students pay sticker at Cornell?
Hard to say not many of my friends have disclosed their scholarship awards. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't have parents paying or a scholarship, but then again thats probably a sample size of maybe less than 15 who would are comfortable/close enough to tell me that. Cornell does have a reputation of being generous with scholarship money though.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:I understand that students probably dont like talking about their loan amounts often, but would you say a substantial number of students pay sticker at Cornell?
Hard to say not many of my friends have disclosed their scholarship awards. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't have parents paying or a scholarship, but then again thats probably a sample size of maybe less than 15 who would are comfortable/close enough to tell me that. Cornell does have a reputation of being generous with scholarship money though.

I'm not sure where this sentiment is coming from, and I've seen it posted here quite a bit over the past few weeks, but not really ever before that. IMO, Cornell is on the more stingy end of top schools. You can also check out ABA data on LSAC to see how comparatively low the % of students on grants are

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 am

What kind of jobs do students do in the summer after 1L. Is it possible to get an SA position at a large firm after your first year.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 am

timeandspace11 wrote:What kind of jobs do students do in the summer after 1L. Is it possible to get an SA position at a large firm after your first year.
Possible not probable. I have one. I know of one other who has one, but most people take something unpaid usually in public interest or gov. because our school gives a 4k grant to do public interest 1L summer.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 am

iMisto wrote:
Thank you!

1. That sounds pricey.
Time warner goes up each year. As a second year I had to pay like $60/m just for internet and they charged me an outrageous fee for moving.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:What kind of jobs do students do in the summer after 1L. Is it possible to get an SA position at a large firm after your first year.
Possible not probable. I have one. I know of one other who has one, but most people take something unpaid usually in public interest or gov. because our school gives a 4k grant to do public interest 1L summer.
Thanks. If you obtain an SA position do you think you can reduce the amount of loans you have to take out for school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 am

timeandspace11 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Thanks. If you obtain an SA position do you think you can reduce the amount of loans you have to take out for school?
Sure most pay 3k per week and if you are a minority sometimes you can receive a scholarhsip on top of the salary. I wouldn't go in counting on a 1L SA. The impression I got is that most people know someone or are a URM. My good friend is #3 in the class and he doesn't have one as of yet. However, I don't know how seriously he applied, mass mailed, etc. However, 2L year you can probably count on being able to throw a lot of your SA money towards loans if you are smart, and don't say f it i'm in New York let's make it rain.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:58 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Sure most pay 3k per week and if you are a minority sometimes you can receive a scholarhsip on top of the salary. I wouldn't go in counting on a 1L SA. The impression I got is that most people know someone or are a URM. My good friend is #3 in the class and he doesn't have one as of yet. However, I don't know how seriously he applied, mass mailed, etc. However, 2L year you can probably count on being able to throw a lot of your SA money towards loans if you are smart, and don't say f it i'm in New York let's make it rain.
He has no way of knowing the bolded.

You are more or less on point though- minorities and small markets for 1L SA. People with good grades can also get paid in house jobs (rare), such as the University counsel's office.

And don't forget unpaid federal judicial internships.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

If I have a lot of ties in Boston will it be fairly easy to find work in the city with a Cornell degree (assuming I do well)?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:If I have a lot of ties in Boston will it be fairly easy to find work in the city with a Cornell degree (assuming I do well)?
I know there's a Boston job fair for people that want Boston. Arbiter would probably be the better person to answer this, but it seems to me like a lesser version of our AJF which is our OCI at Cornell. Assuming you do well I think you could get back to Boston. I mean if you do well enough I'm pretty sure most markets aren't off the table. Median might be tough but again I don't really know just a 1L.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”