Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Anyone have advice for the rising 2L's about to preregister for courses?

What to take, who not to take, etc.
Take evidence with colb. Even if you want transactional. Four credit course, doesn't cold call, and only covers material covered in barbri. Her test is 35 question mc and it literally takes a half hour.
This sounds like my kind of class. :)
The curve is extremely unpredictable.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Corne1L.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Anyone have advice for the rising 2L's about to preregister for courses?

What to take, who not to take, etc.
Take evidence with colb. Even if you want transactional. Four credit course, doesn't cold call, and only covers material covered in barbri. Her test is 35 question mc and it literally takes a half hour.
This sounds like my kind of class. :)
The curve is extremely unpredictable.
Ehh idk I've done well in her classes. To each their own tho. Take it pass fail if your worried.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am

Can anyone comment on the following classes and/or professors in terms of how interesting/useful/difficult/enjoyable they are?

Financial institutions – omarova
Tax – green
Antitrust- hay
Trusts & estates – Sherwin
Bizorgs – hockett v whitehead
White collar crime – Garvey
Land Use – Underkuffler
Private Equity Playbook – Blassberg
Admin – Farina
Deals Seminars
Securities Clinic – Jacobson
Law & mental Health – Beresford
Water /Indian Law – Torres
Corporate Finance - Minella

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm

toothbrush wrote:Can anyone comment on the following classes and/or professors in terms of how interesting/useful/difficult/enjoyable they are?

Tax – green
Antitrust- hay
Land Use – Underkuffler
Admin – Farina
Deals Seminars
Haven't taken any of them, but I heard Admin with Farina sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Can anyone comment on the following classes and/or professors in terms of how interesting/useful/difficult/enjoyable they are?

Tax – green
Antitrust- hay
Land Use – Underkuffler
Admin – Farina
Deals Seminars
Haven't taken any of them, but I heard Admin with Farina sucks.
Easy though.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote: Haven't taken any of them, but I heard Admin with Farina sucks.
What did you take last year? Any general comments to that?

I keep hearing mixed things about Farina. The Spring is taught by Stiglitz, though, who is new.. so that's a wildcard?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Arbiter213 wrote: Easy though.
Someone told me the way the final is makes it such that the curve is very unpredictable?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:06 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote: Easy though.
Someone told me the way the final is makes it such that the curve is very unpredictable?
Not in my experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:55 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote: Haven't taken any of them, but I heard Admin with Farina sucks.

I keep hearing mixed things about Farina. The Spring is taught by Stiglitz, though, who is new.. so that's a wildcard?
Admin seems boring as shit and completely useless. Just my opinoini though. I took some bar classes, but only if I was interested in them. I'll learn the less through Barbri.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Admin seems boring as shit and completely useless. Just my opinoini though. I took some bar classes, but only if I was interested in them. I'll learn the less through Barbri.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Why do u really think its going to be that hard to learn admin through barbri. What do you need to know besides Chevron deference?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Why do u really think its going to be that hard to learn admin through barbri. What do you need to know besides Chevron deference?
Well two things:
Admin seems boring as shit and completely useless
Is 100% false. It is, in many ways, the most useful class I took in law school.

As for BarBri: Admin is appearing on the bar for the first time next year. Good luck with that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:07 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Well two things:
Admin seems boring as shit and completely useless
Is 100% false. It is, in many ways, the most useful class I took in law school.

As for BarBri: Admin is appearing on the bar for the first time next year. Good luck with that.
O okay I'll take your word for it. All my friends said they found in boring and didn't really learn anything with Farina.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:43 am

I already learned Chevron deference in my 1L jerb. I'm good for an A in admin. Woo.

3Takes

New

Post by 3Takes » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:34 am

Currently completing the new student check list...and I was wondering if it was worth signing up for the Cornell Fitness Centers membership...

How are the facilities?
Are there significantly better options available off campus?

Thank you!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:39 am

3Takes wrote:Currently completing the new student check list...and I was wondering if it was worth signing up for the Cornell Fitness Centers membership...

How are the facilities?

Thank you!
Where are you living? How often do you go to the gym now?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

teachmehowtoraji

Bronze

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:58 am

3Takes wrote:Currently completing the new student check list...and I was wondering if it was worth signing up for the Cornell Fitness Centers membership...

How are the facilities?

Thank you!
There's one gym (Noyes) that's extremely close to the law school and has decent facilities. I'd occasionally bring gym clothes to the law school and walk directly over after class. Hours can be a bit wacky though.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:07 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:

How are the facilities?

Thank you!
There's one gym (Noyes) that's extremely close to the law school and has decent facilities. I'd occasionally bring gym clothes to the law school and walk directly over after class. Hours can be a bit wacky though.
Different perspective: I never go to Noyes because it's always crowded, has the smallest free weight section I've ever seen, and only two Olympic platforms and one power rack that are always taken (like everything else at peak hours).

Teagle is a 10 minute walk up campus road, has cardio and some machines upstairs and other machines and weights downstairs. 3 Olympic platforms and 3 power racks. Roomier free weight section. Less crowded IME. Not open as late as Noyes though.

Don't know enough about off-campus options. I think for what you get for $135, it's a good deal.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Tax – green
Antitrust- hay
Land Use – Underkuffler
Admin – Farina
Deals Seminars
Take: Private Equity Playbook – Blassberg (Take this class if you want to do corporate. Blassberg is a former rainmaker at Debevoise, so she has a lot of actual legal experience and is just a good person to know in general.)

Don't Take: Securities Clinic – Jacobson (anyone I've ever talked to who took it said it was a lot of work, at least one of the professors is crazy, and you don't learn anything); Water /Indian Law – Torres (the class is way more work than it should be and he's a harsh grader); Corporate Finance - Minella (you'll pretty much have to teach yourself corporate finance, which won't be fun)

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Lavitz wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:

How are the facilities?

Thank you!
Different perspective: I never go to Noyes because it's always crowded, has the smallest free weight section I've ever seen, and only two Olympic platforms and one power rack that are always taken (like everything else at peak hours).

Teagle is a 10 minute walk up campus road, has cardio and some machines upstairs and other machines and weights downstairs. 3 Olympic platforms and 3 power racks. Roomier free weight section. Less crowded IME. Not open as late as Noyes though.

Don't know enough about off-campus options. I think for what you get for $135, it's a good deal.
I go to Finger Lakes Fitness Center in the Commons. It's never crowded and there's 24 hour access. Considering how crowded the Cornell gyms get, it's worth the short trip off campus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:06 pm

BullShitWithBravado wrote:I go to Finger Lakes Fitness Center in the Commons. It's never crowded and there's 24 hour access. Considering how crowded the Cornell gyms get, it's worth the short trip off campus.
This place sounds great.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Where are good places to play pick-up basketball? And the answer is probably no, but does Collegetown Terrace have basketball courts in addition to its fitness center?

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Is there an indoor soccer community at the law school? Would love to play in Ithaca.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Lavitz wrote:
BullShitWithBravado wrote:I go to Finger Lakes Fitness Center in the Commons. It's never crowded and there's 24 hour access. Considering how crowded the Cornell gyms get, it's worth the short trip off campus.
This place sounds great.
It really is. And if you live in the Center Ithaca Apartments, your membership is free.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”