Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vexion

Bronze

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by vexion » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:57 pm

cityandcolour wrote:What's the music scene like? I know I won't have time to perform much at all, but do any good live acts come through?
Cornell has about two big acts a year, as part of events like Slope Day. This year we have Nelly, last year I think they had Drake, recently they've had Phoenix and The Flaming Lips. But the city of Ithaca doesn't have any big stadium acts. They don't even have a big stadium. Most artists would come to Syracuse or Rochester.

As far as local music, a few bars (like Castaways) have live music every day, but Castaways is too far to walk from campus, so I've never been.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:18 pm

PinkCow wrote:I mean, come on, small town has its perks. But no way it will be able to compare with a larger town's sheer mass of music options.
True. I'm fairly certain there isn't a city in the US (outside of NY and Chicago) that could compete with Austin's music scene. I know wherever I go I'll end up missing the breadth of options Austin has re:live music. Just curious as to who comes through Ithaca - I thought long and hard about flying up for a non-ASW visit 'cause my favorite band is playing in Ithaca 5 days before my visit.

Looks like a few groups I'm interested in come through Castaways every now and then - J Mascis!

I guess the nearest big city concert destination would be NYC, then? Ithaca looks pretty remote.

TR Fan

New

Post by TR Fan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm

KMaine wrote:Sorry that nobody got back to you sooner on this. I am not sure what the on campus options are like. My family and I live in a house about 5 miles from campus. It is cozy and in a nice neighborhood, and the rent is really reasonable. My wife was able to find a job as a Montessori school teacher pretty easily. The University is obviously a big employer, but I am not sure how easy it is to get a job there. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Best of luck.
No worries, I also had some very helpful PMs. Thank you very much for the input! My fiancee and I are definitely wary about what the job situation will be like for her, but nevertheless haven't discounted Cornell yet by a longshot. We're very eager to visit in April and see what life in Ithaca may hold in store. Admittedly after being cooped up in an apartment in DC for a couple years having a house would be a welcome change of pace.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 pm

TR Fan wrote:
KMaine wrote:Sorry that nobody got back to you sooner on this. I am not sure what the on campus options are like. My family and I live in a house about 5 miles from campus. It is cozy and in a nice neighborhood, and the rent is really reasonable. My wife was able to find a job as a Montessori school teacher pretty easily. The University is obviously a big employer, but I am not sure how easy it is to get a job there. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Best of luck.
No worries, I also had some very helpful PMs. Thank you very much for the input! My fiancee and I are definitely wary about what the job situation will be like for her, but nevertheless haven't discounted Cornell yet by a longshot. We're very eager to visit in April and see what life in Ithaca may hold in store. Admittedly after being cooped up in an apartment in DC for a couple years having a house would be a welcome change of pace.
Also keep in mind that Ithaca is about an hour from both Syracuse and Binghamton. If your financee is willing to commute and depending on her field, those cities would most likely open up a lot more job opportunities.

damage-inc

Bronze

Post by damage-inc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm

For those of you who drive to campus/class everyday: where do you park???

the question may seem simple but its got huge implications on the housing situation. I come from a big state school where you have 8 commuter lots on campus, and I only see 3 major ones on Cornell's. Im having a hard time understanding the idea of living out of walking distance to the school (20-30 minutes) only to park on campus and walk 15-20 minutes anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 am

damage-inc wrote:For those of you who drive to campus/class everyday: where do you park???

the question may seem simple but its got huge implications on the housing situation. I come from a big state school where you have 8 commuter lots on campus, and I only see 3 major ones on Cornell's. Im having a hard time understanding the idea of living out of walking distance to the school (20-30 minutes) only to park on campus and walk 15-20 minutes anyway
Most people not walking distance don't park on campus, they take the bus. Cornell parking is awful.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Quick question, not sure if y'all can answer it or not.

My wife and I are here in Ithaca for ASW and, long story short, United Airways royally cheesed us, and we just now got into Ithaca after what would have been a 13 hour trip turned into 28 hours, so obviously we've missed all of Friday.

Anyway, I'm seeing that the Saturday events start with "brunch" and then on to a campus tour. Does anybody know about this brunch? Like is it a formal, Cornell-sponsored brunch or what? I'd like to make it if it's something, but I have no idea...

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 pm

PinkCow wrote:Quick question, not sure if y'all can answer it or not.

My wife and I are here in Ithaca for ASW and, long story short, United Airways royally cheesed us, and we just now got into Ithaca after what would have been a 13 hour trip turned into 28 hours, so obviously we've missed all of Friday.

Anyway, I'm seeing that the Saturday events start with "brunch" and then on to a campus tour. Does anybody know about this brunch? Like is it a formal, Cornell-sponsored brunch or what? I'd like to make it if it's something, but I have no idea...
The brunch is unimportant. More like another opportunity to meet-and-greet with your fellow admitted students then anything else. As is the campus tour: You'll rarely ever go anywhere on campus besides the law school once you're here. Hate to say it, but 90% of the "substance" of ASW happens on Friday...

Juff

New

Post by Juff » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:26 pm

vexion wrote:

The brunch is unimportant. More like another opportunity to meet-and-greet with your fellow admitted students then anything else. As is the campus tour: You'll rarely ever go anywhere on campus besides the law school once you're here. Hate to say it, but 90% of the "substance" of ASW happens on Friday...
Assuming you can call a Clermont class "substance."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Juff wrote:
vexion wrote:

Zing? Ha ok thanks for the tips. I suppose we'll just head out downtown to the bars or something tonight then. Chapter House? Hopefully we'll get some "substance" there.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:16 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Juff wrote:
vexion wrote:

Zing? Ha ok thanks for the tips. I suppose we'll just head out downtown to the bars or something tonight then. Chapter House? Hopefully we'll get some "substance" there.
If you all can stomach it, go to the Palms (the Royal Palm Tavern on Dryden) at midnight, and not a second before. Every weekend precisely at midnight (Palms o' Clock,) pretty much the entire law school + half of campus rolls from other parts of Collegetown to this one horrid, dingy, rotting bar to coup-de-grace their livers.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:25 pm

vexion wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

If you all can stomach it, go to the Palms (the Royal Palm Tavern on Dryden) at midnight, and not a second before. Every weekend precisely at midnight (Palms o' Clock,) pretty much the entire law school + half of campus rolls from other parts of Collegetown to this one horrid, dingy, rotting bar to coup-de-grace their livers.
why would you give anyone this advice??

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:57 pm

mths wrote:why would you give anyone this advice??
He'd better know what he's signing on for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

vexion wrote:
mths wrote:why would you give anyone this advice??
He'd better know what he's signing on for.
:lol:

BushyPotter

New

Post by BushyPotter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 am

How likely is it to go to Cornell for law school and then try and get hired at a law firm or get a clerkship in CA? I want to work in CA [or at least right now I do, idk how I'll feel later], but I want to get out of CA for law school to experience something different

Horchata

Bronze

Post by Horchata » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:00 am

BushyPotter wrote:How likely is it to go to Cornell for law school and then try and get hired at a law firm or get a clerkship in CA? I want to work in CA [or at least right now I do, idk how I'll feel later], but I want to get out of CA for law school to experience something different
Same here, dude. Been out here my whole life. I'm actually still deciding between a good CA school and Cornell. This is the million dollar question^^^

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:42 am

BushyPotter wrote:How likely is it to go to Cornell for law school and then try and get hired at a law firm or get a clerkship in CA? I want to work in CA [or at least right now I do, idk how I'll feel later], but I want to get out of CA for law school to experience something different
Horchata wrote:Same here, dude. Been out here my whole life. I'm actually still deciding between a good CA school and Cornell. This is the million dollar question^^^
The key is showing a strong preexisting connection to CA (i.e., proving to firms that you're not a flight risk.) California firms don't do the New York job fair or recruit much, if at all, at Cornell, so you will have to go above and beyond the efforts of your classmates looking for New York jobs. But if you send out résumés early and you can show that you have a strong reason for wanting to work in California (having lived there your whole life helps,) there's no reason you shouldn't get the job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:42 pm

vexion wrote:
Horchata wrote:Same here, dude. Been out here my whole life. I'm actually still deciding between a good CA school and Cornell. This is the million dollar question^^^
The key is showing a strong preexisting connection to CA (i.e., proving to firms that you're not a flight risk.) California firms don't do the New York job fair or recruit much, if at all, at Cornell, so you will have to go above and beyond the efforts of your classmates looking for New York jobs. But if you send out résumés early and you can show that you have a strong reason for wanting to work in California (having lived there your whole life helps,) there's no reason you shouldn't get the job.
I'd imagine the same applies to Texas firms? Or do some firms travel to NY?

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:29 pm

I just got accepted into Cornell, and I admittedly haven't done my due diligence in reading through the entire thread, but I wanted to get my questions asked.

Is Hughes Hall really a good idea? My dad said it was a big on parties back when he went to engineering school there. I also live in WA state, so moving furniture would probably be hard.

TLS shows that there are grocery stores and restaurants in collegetown, but what about shopping for clothes/shoes/coats? Is there a local mall nearby?

What does everybody do in the winter when it's freezing cold? :)

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:33 pm

KingRajesh wrote: Is Hughes Hall really a good idea? My dad said it was a big on parties back when he went to engineering school there. I also live in WA state, so moving furniture would probably be hard.
I like Hughes. Most parties are at people's apartments and not in hughes itself.
KingRajesh wrote: TLS shows that there are grocery stores and restaurants in collegetown, but what about shopping for clothes/shoes/coats? Is there a local mall nearby?
There is a mall nearby, but I think clothing shopping is lacking here. I would not plan on buying clothes while in school. Bring what you need, Amazon the rest.
KingRajesh wrote: What does everybody do in the winter when it's freezing cold? :)
It is 40 outside right now, I just went to the gym in shorts. The weather is over-hyped and you get use to it fast.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:03 pm

CyLaw wrote:
KingRajesh wrote: Is Hughes Hall really a good idea? My dad said it was a big on parties back when he went to engineering school there. I also live in WA state, so moving furniture would probably be hard.
I like Hughes. Most parties are at people's apartments and not in hughes itself.
KingRajesh wrote: TLS shows that there are grocery stores and restaurants in collegetown, but what about shopping for clothes/shoes/coats? Is there a local mall nearby?
There is a mall nearby, but I think clothing shopping is lacking here. I would not plan on buying clothes while in school. Bring what you need, Amazon the rest.
KingRajesh wrote: What does everybody do in the winter when it's freezing cold? :)
It is 40 outside right now, I just went to the gym in shorts. The weather is over-hyped and you get use to it fast.
I agree with everything except for Cy's last point. It is cold as fuck as has been for about 5 months. Enjoy this frigid hell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:11 pm

mths wrote: I agree with everything except for Cy's last point. It is cold as fuck as has been for about 5 months. Enjoy this frigid hell.
I probably show have mentioned that I came from Iowa, huh?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:22 pm

CyLaw wrote:I probably show have mentioned that I came from Iowa, huh?
She's from British Columbia.

Juff

New

Post by Juff » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Tip to prospective students- when considering law schools, the weather should be an incredibly insignificant consideration. I've seen more posts about the weather in Ithaca than, say, the actual quality of the school, and it really baffles me.

Employment prospects > how cold you'll be walking back from the gym.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Juff wrote:Tip to prospective students- when considering law schools, the weather should be an incredibly insignificant consideration. I've seen more posts about the weather in Ithaca than, say, the actual quality of the school, and it really baffles me.

Employment prospects > how cold you'll be walking back from the gym.
egregious "I go to the gym" trolling

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”