Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Big Tuna wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Asleep wrote:Checked it out the other day - we get espn in the lounge.
Study parties during CFB games?
Don't study on Saturdays.
Then how can I watch the NFL?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Arbiter already gunnin'

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Arbiter already gunnin'
Says the guy still in the library.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
a place I have yet to step foot in this year... god, I love being a 3L...

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:12 am

My mistake. They didn't have Nickelodeon, which led me to conclude that they only have basic cable.

I guess football trumps cartoons :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 am

PinkCow wrote:
My mistake. They didn't have Nickelodeon, which led me to conclude that they only have basic cable.

I guess football trumps cartoons :cry:
espn = basic cable in NY. ESPNU would be the question.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 am

mbw wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
a place I have yet to step foot in this year... god, I love being a 3L...
You spent enough time there during 1L for all three years (at least).

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 am

Sorry if this has been answered but I haven't gone through all 98 pgs.

How would you rate the area for a family (couple and two small children)?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:14 am

Cavgirl wrote:Sorry if this has been answered but I haven't gone through all 98 pgs.

I would pm mbw with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:59 am

Cavgirl wrote:Sorry if this has been answered but I haven't gone through all 98 pgs.

I have a family. Ithaca in general is extremely safe and very family-friendly. Schools are fantastic and there are a lot of activities you'd expect in a super liberal small town (great children's garden, Science Center, huge nature center, and lots of other stuff). Tons of parks and such.

That being said, Ithaca deliberately hides/sugar-coats any kind of violent or otherwise dangerous criminal activity from general news reporting (read: the Ithaca Journal). There's very little of it, but when it does happen, it's a complete sh*t-storm of finger pointing, typically at the police, and little to no reporting of what actually went down. The upshot is, there are some places that I probably wouldn't want to live with a family, even in cheery ol' Ithaca. But those areas are typically a bit further away from the LS so I doubt you'd be looking into those.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:08 am

PinkCow wrote:

I have a family. Ithaca in general is extremely safe and very family-friendly. Schools are fantastic and there are a lot of activities you'd expect in a super liberal small town (great children's garden, Science Center, huge nature center, and lots of other stuff). Tons of parks and such.

That being said, Ithaca deliberately hides/sugar-coats any kind of violent or otherwise dangerous criminal activity from general news reporting (read: the Ithaca Journal). There's very little of it, but when it does happen, it's a complete sh*t-storm of finger pointing, typically at the police, and little to no reporting of what actually went down. The upshot is, there are some places that I probably wouldn't want to live with a family, even in cheery ol' Ithaca. But those areas are typically a bit further away from the LS so I doubt you'd be looking into those.
Lots of weird looking townies in Ithaca, if you like diversity...hippy types
Spent 4 years of undergrad at cornell and would NOT have wanted to spend another 3 years in ithaca for law school (currently attend another T14 school). The constant freezing cold, windy weather is cumulative and I got really sick of the weather. It's cold from October to May.
Two of the bars closed recently. From a grad school perspective, I imagine there is nothing to do except hang out with undergrads. When I was an undergrad it was fine, but not sure I would want to continue haning with undergrads while in law school.
Had Cornell Law been the only T14 school to accept me, I would have reluctantly attended. But, fortunately, that was not the case and I had what I feel was a better option.
Disclosure: Cornell Law deferred and then rejected me, but no sour grapes here.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:34 am

I am here with a family (10, 8, and 4 year-old children). My wife and I really can't imagine a better place to raise kids in the t-14. The other t-14s I considered were Michigan and Duke. Michigan seemed close but was further away from home than Ithaca. I think it is a better place for school age children than for younger ones. The schools here are the major advantage for us. I am friends with MBW. Feel free to PM her or me if you have any more specific questions.

mini777

New

Post by mini777 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:50 pm

I have a different view than KMaine for Ithaca and family because I take care of my two kids on my own. Ithaca is fine for families. However, it is awful for finding care for your kids. The public schools have very small aftercare programs and have very long waiting lists. If you do not have a spouse who stays at home, it is very difficult to find care for your kids while you are at school. Public schools get out at 2 PM here. The aftercare program told me that my kids could be in the aftercare program next year. I am a 3L and my kids have been on that waitlist since August 2010. One of the factors, I consider when I choose my classes, is whether the class is during the public school hours. It is hard to find reliable babysitters also and they are expensive. I pay $20/hour to have somebody watch my kids while I take a class between 7-8:30 PM twice a week.

As for the public schools, I am not as impressed with them as others are. However, that may be because my kids have always gone private school before moving to Ithaca last year. For example, the third grade level education is similar to what my older son learned in the second grade. I supplement their learning at home and as you imagine, it makes my schedule even more full that it already is. There are only one or two good private schools and they have long waiting lists also.

There are a lot of stuff to do around the area. However, if your kids are used to living in a city, it may come as a shock to their system how small Ithaca is. I keep telling my kids that they only have one more year to go, but honestly I see their point.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:19 pm

mini777 wrote:

I have a different view than KMaine for Ithaca and family because I take care of my two kids on my own. Ithaca is fine for families. However, it is awful for finding care for your kids. The public schools have very small aftercare programs and have very long waiting lists. If you do not have a spouse who stays at home, it is very difficult to find care for your kids while you are at school. Public schools get out at 2 PM here. The aftercare program told me that my kids could be in the aftercare program next year. I am a 3L and my kids have been on that waitlist since August 2010. One of the factors, I consider when I choose my classes, is whether the class is during the public school hours. It is hard to find reliable babysitters also and they are expensive. I pay $20/hour to have somebody watch my kids while I take a class between 7-8:30 PM twice a week.

As for the public schools, I am not as impressed with them as others are. However, that may be because my kids have always gone private school before moving to Ithaca last year. For example, the third grade level education is similar to what my older son learned in the second grade. I supplement their learning at home and as you imagine, it makes my schedule even more full that it already is. There are only one or two good private schools and they have long waiting lists also.

There are a lot of stuff to do around the area. However, if your kids are used to living in a city, it may come as a shock to their system how small Ithaca is. I keep telling my kids that they only have one more year to go, but honestly I see their point.

Feel free to ask more questions.
You forgot to mention the creepy looking townies..

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:05 am

Thanks for all the info. I went to undergrad in a small town but grew up in San Francisco, husband in Los Angeles. I think this would be hardest on him, to tell you the truth, but, ultimately, we would make it work if given the chance.

Thanks, again. Maybe I will be back to ask more questions if they actually decide to go crazy amd let me in.

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

What does Holden-Smith mean by make charts for different sets of rules?

justhoping

Bronze

Post by justhoping » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:26 pm

do we get # grades or letter grades in lawyering assignments?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:37 pm

justhoping wrote:do we get # grades or letter grades in lawyering assignments?
letter grade at the end of the semester, nothing before that

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:02 pm

mths wrote:
On a scale of 1-Totally Screwed, how screwed am I if I don't have any memo pages yet?

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:52 pm

PinkCow wrote:
mths wrote:
On a scale of 1-Totally Screwed, how screwed am I if I don't have any memo pages yet?
When is it due?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:33 pm

mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
mths wrote:
When is it due?
Thursday night? And I now have 1.5 pages.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:52 pm

PinkCow wrote:
mths wrote: When is it due?
You're fine. Try to have a workable draft by Tuesday, major revisions done by Wednesday and leave Thursday for re-reading. Main thing is not to leave bluebooking till the last minute cause it eats up a lot of time.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:05 pm

mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
You're fine. Try to have a workable draft by Tuesday, major revisions done by Wednesday and leave Thursday for re-reading. Main thing is not to leave bluebooking till the last minute cause it eats up a lot of time.
Thanks for the advice! It's a bit disconcerting seeing everyone with it done like...2 weeks ago. Oh well.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:23 pm

PinkCow wrote:
mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Thanks for the advice! It's a bit disconcerting seeing everyone with it done like...2 weeks ago. Oh well.
They're lying

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:39 pm

mths wrote:
PinkCow wrote: Thanks for the advice! It's a bit disconcerting seeing everyone with it done like...2 weeks ago. Oh well.
They're lying
No, we're not.

But PinkCow, you're fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”