Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
studymaster

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by studymaster » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:59 pm

So... do any of the law school students live in grad housing besides hughes. With your own kitchen and bathroom, and relatively close, it seems like a nice choice. Any thoughts from you current students?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 am

studymaster wrote:So... do any of the law school students live in grad housing besides hughes. With your own kitchen and bathroom, and relatively close, it seems like a nice choice. Any thoughts from you current students?
I know some people do, but I'm not sure who. I dunno.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:16 pm

woeisme wrote:
studymaster wrote:So... do any of the law school students live in grad housing besides hughes. With your own kitchen and bathroom, and relatively close, it seems like a nice choice. Any thoughts from you current students?
I know some people do, but I'm not sure who. I dunno.
I know some people do, and I know who.

I don't think any of them come to TLS, though. They seem to like it. There is one building that is basically an off-campus dorm. I don't know any more about that. There are also a couple buildings that have one-bedroom apts that seems like a quick and easy way to find housing if you aren't in the area.
I would have considered it but they don't allow pets and it didn't strike me as a particularly good deal financially.

danr2040

New

Post by danr2040 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for helping earlier with the financial aid question.

I plan on visiting Cornell in early April on Thursday and Friday. It's going to have to be these days because I need to finish my thesis here first, and I must combine the visit to Cornell with visits to other schools.

Are there any 1L courses that you guys recommend to visit on Thursday or Friday? Names and times would be appreciated.

Darth Topher

New

Post by Darth Topher » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 am

Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:25 am

awesomepossum wrote:who are you guys getting for slope day this year?
+1

although, i don't think i'll be going back for slope day this year.... last time i was there was in 2007 and i think that was the year TI performed.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am

Darth Topher wrote:Why is the cost of living in Ithaca so DAMN high?
Because rich kids will pay exorbitant prices for convenience/luxury/etc., driving up prices for everyone. Also, taxes in Tompkins county are unduly high. I'm sure landlords pass these on to tenants.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Er...it's not that high, really. Not even for the kind of town it is.

como

Silver

Post by como » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:42 pm

kn6542 wrote:
I don't know...it's pretty high for upstate NY. At least, rent is inordinately high.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law22

New

Post by law22 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

I saw in an earlier post that Cornell is very social and people celebrate the end of the week. I'm pretty sure I'll be going there in the fall, and I have a fiance. I was wondering if people tend to bring their SO's to events and hanging out.

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:47 pm

como wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
I don't know...it's pretty high for upstate NY. At least, rent is inordinately high.
+1 on that...It's actually kind of insane. I guess it has to do with the rich kid thing, taxes and the fact that it's on a (quite large) hill. Living on the top of the hill is prime time. :) Kind of amazes me, nonetheless, that my apartment in Boston was cheaper than anything I've seen in Ithaca.

Westmalle

New

Post by Westmalle » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:32 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
como wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
+1 on that...It's actually kind of insane. I guess it has to do with the rich kid thing, taxes and the fact that it's on a (quite large) hill. Living on the top of the hill is prime time. :) Kind of amazes me, nonetheless, that my apartment in Boston was cheaper than anything I've seen in Ithaca.
You lived in Roxbury?

l'arte d'arrangiarsi

New

Post by l'arte d'arrangiarsi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:43 pm

1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

2. where is the nearest airport?

3. how long is a train/bus ride to NYC?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:01 pm

l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.
Last edited by 18488 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Westmalle wrote:You lived in Roxbury?
Maybe I should clarify. I'm looking at distance to school vs. rent per month. Ithaca is cheaper if you live further away. I lived directly across from my undergrad (pretty much a 5 minute walk to any building on campus). Can't say the town or everyone will know what school I went to and need to maintain some anonymity. :) But it was a nice place, perfect location, very close to downtown Boston (not Roxbury, fwiw, lol). Living the same distance from the law school at Cornell for a similar price seems next to impossible.

Edit: Guess that's why they have Hughes. :)

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:58 pm

sbrown83 wrote:
l'arte d'arrangiarsi wrote:1. re COL in ithaca, how much is a smallish 1bd? and a studio?

1. depends on where you live. in collegetown (right next to the law school), 1BR runs 1000-1400, studio runs about 800-1100. If you live 1/4 mile away from the law school in lower collegetown or the commons, 1BR is like 650-1000 and studio more like 500-850. you can live a little further out for quite cheap. i lived in hughes this year, which is about 10 feet from the law school, and paid $777/month for a room with all utilities, but share a bathroom, and have access to a common kitchen. Next year I'm living in a 380 sq. ft. one-bedroom in lower collegetown for $690 including heat/water, which is considered a pretty good deal.

2. there's an airport in ithaca, but i'd never use it, since it's very expensive and doesn't go direct to anywhere i want to go. the nearest decent ones are in syracuse (1 hour away) and rochester (2 hours away), though you can get better deals out of buffalo (3 hours away) and NYC (4-5 hours away).

3. there is no train station in ithaca. there used to be; now it's a bank. on the bus, it takes about 4-6 hours depending on what bus you take.
Currently the airport has some really good deals-- $200ish roundtrip from Houston etc. You just have to check for the deals more frequently. 3 airlines fly into Ithaca.

Its also pretty easy to live a couple of miles away from the law school because the 10 and 30 bus go right to it very frequently. So, if you are worried about money-- you can pick a further distance (make sure its on a bus route) and live cheaper.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:05 pm

how was neskerdoo's backstreet boys rendition?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:09 pm

underdawg wrote:how was neskerdoo's backstreet boys rendition?
it was worthy of early-mid season American Idol.

craneaa

New

Post by craneaa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
Westmalle wrote:You lived in Roxbury?
Maybe I should clarify. I'm looking at distance to school vs. rent per month. Ithaca is cheaper if you live further away. I lived directly across from my undergrad (pretty much a 5 minute walk to any building on campus). Can't say the town or everyone will know what school I went to and need to maintain some anonymity. :) But it was a nice place, perfect location, very close to downtown Boston (not Roxbury, fwiw, lol). Living the same distance from the law school at Cornell for a similar price seems next to impossible.

Edit: Guess that's why they have Hughes. :)
Must've been.... Tufts

Zuckerkorn

New

Post by Zuckerkorn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:54 pm

In the off chance that one of you guys lives in Hughes and waited till April last year to commit... I was wondering if its not too late to grab a spot in Hughes if I wait till the mid-April deadline to send in my first deposit? I know they recommend sending it in asap in order to get the housing application, but I still have to visit my top two choices before I can make up my mind. I wouldn't be discouraged from attending if I had to look for alternative housing but I really dig the convenience.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:02 pm

Zuckerkorn wrote:In the off chance that one of you guys lives in Hughes and waited till April last year to commit... I was wondering if its not too late to grab a spot in Hughes if I wait till the mid-April deadline to send in my first deposit? I know they recommend sending it in asap in order to get the housing application, but I still have to visit my top two choices before I can make up my mind. I wouldn't be discouraged from attending if I had to look for alternative housing but I really dig the convenience.
i think Cornell sends the housing applications to everyone who sends in their deposit by the deadline at the same time. so you still may have a shot. double check the note that came with the acceptance letter... i'm pretty sure that's what it says.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zuckerkorn

New

Post by Zuckerkorn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 am

missv463 wrote:i think Cornell sends the housing applications to everyone who sends in their deposit by the deadline at the same time. so you still may have a shot. double check the note that came with the acceptance letter... i'm pretty sure that's what it says.
Thanks, I just reread it and that does indeed appear to be the case. I could've sworn I read something somewhere that gave me the initial sense of urgency, but maybe its just my subconscious giving me a reason to send in the deposit and finally decide where to go. :D

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:21 am

LeahNic wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:

Currently the airport has some really good deals-- $200ish roundtrip from Houston etc. You just have to check for the deals more frequently. 3 airlines fly into Ithaca.

Its also pretty easy to live a couple of miles away from the law school because the 10 and 30 bus go right to it very frequently. So, if you are worried about money-- you can pick a further distance (make sure its on a bus route) and live cheaper.
On this note, you can also get a round-trip to Chicago for around the $200.

As for Neskerdoo's Backstreet Boys performance, if Taylor Hicks can win American Idol, so can neskerdoo.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:27 am

Zuckerkorn wrote:
missv463 wrote:i think Cornell sends the housing applications to everyone who sends in their deposit by the deadline at the same time. so you still may have a shot. double check the note that came with the acceptance letter... i'm pretty sure that's what it says.
Thanks, I just reread it and that does indeed appear to be the case. I could've sworn I read something somewhere that gave me the initial sense of urgency, but maybe its just my subconscious giving me a reason to send in the deposit and finally decide where to go. :D
no worries... i thought the same thing, too! then i re-read and was like ohhh i see now :lol:

l'arte d'arrangiarsi

New

Post by l'arte d'arrangiarsi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:17 pm

LeahNic wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:

thanks leah and sbrown for your answers! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”