Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
msblaw89

Gold

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by msblaw89 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:50 pm

KMaine wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
KMaine wrote:Potato - If you really like Cornell better, I don't think we have too much trouble placing in TX. But you will have a better chance at D.C. and maybe other markets out of UVA.

FlanAl - If your grades are great, you will get a job without a journal. Otherwise, probably not a great idea to risk it. LR is almost necessary for clerkships.
Do you know how many walk-ons there are and how many total 1Ls make CLR?
I believe that they choose a full 1/3 without any reference to grades.
1/3 or 1Ls just for LR? Or including journals

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
KMaine wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
KMaine wrote:Potato - If you really like Cornell better, I don't think we have too much trouble placing in TX. But you will have a better chance at D.C. and maybe other markets out of UVA.

FlanAl - If your grades are great, you will get a job without a journal. Otherwise, probably not a great idea to risk it. LR is almost necessary for clerkships.
Do you know how many walk-ons there are and how many total 1Ls make CLR?
I believe that they choose a full 1/3 without any reference to grades.
1/3 or 1Ls just for LR? Or including journals
KMaine means of those selected, not those that apply. See http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/resear ... bylaws.cfm.

(Also, I think it is 20% unless there was a change to the bylaws)

For total people selected just look at the Masthead and count the number of associates.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 pm

CyLaw wrote:
KMaine means of those selected, not those that apply. See http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/resear ... bylaws.cfm.

For total people selected just look at the Masthead and count the number of associates.
I've still not gotten a straight answer on this one: I'm going to write a personal statement, but isn't it a waste of my time if I'm not from a disadvantaged or minority background?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri May 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I've still not gotten a straight answer on this one: I'm going to write a personal statement, but isn't it a waste of my time if I'm not from a disadvantaged or minority background?
I can't say as did not do writing comp. The 2Ls on Journal may not be able to say either if they are involved in the selection process (granted, I imagine they will say to submit one if you think it expresses something not apparent in writing comp or resume). Maybe a 3L can answer better.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 pm

From the bylaws:

1. The minimum number of second year students to be afforded associate status through the writing/editing competition shall be 20 percent of those completing the competition or 12, whichever is less. A higher percentage may be selected if a larger number of competitors have demonstrated superior ability.

It looks like it will be 12 (a little less than 1/3 of the total LR) unless fewer than 60 people take part in the writing competition.

In terms of the diversity statement (I was on the Committee last year), it varies from year to year. Often people are given some points if their "diversity" is not racial diversity. I think it is a mistake not to write one. There must be something that makes you different from your classmates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

KMaine wrote:From the bylaws:

1. The minimum number of second year students to be afforded associate status through the writing/editing competition shall be 20 percent of those completing the competition or 12, whichever is less. A higher percentage may be selected if a larger number of competitors have demonstrated superior ability.

It looks like it will be 12 (a little less than 1/3 of the total LR) unless fewer than 60 people take part in the writing competition.

In terms of the diversity statement (I was on the Committee last year), it varies from year to year. Often people are given some points if their "diversity" is not racial diversity. I think it is a mistake not to write one. There must be something that makes you different from your classmates.
There are things, sure. I guess my first hope is those things involve my GPA, first, or writing competition score, second :P

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:13 pm

If the members Of LR are primarily liberal, and you are conservative, would writing a do resort statement on political views put you at a disadvantage? Maybe it depends on who reads it?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Fri May 04, 2012 5:16 pm

msblaw89 wrote: If the members Of LR are primarily liberal, and you are conservative, would writing a do resort statement on political views put you at a disadvantage? Maybe it depends on who reads it?
Jesus Christ

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri May 04, 2012 5:41 pm

msblaw89 wrote: If the members Of LR are primarily liberal, and you are conservative, would writing a do resort statement on political views put you at a disadvantage? Maybe it depends on who reads it?

Short of actively insulting or alienating a group of people, no one is going to care about your political views (for better or worse). Also, there are plenty of out spoken conservatives at the school.

ETA: Also, you are a 0L right. Don't worry about LR right now. There are way too many factors that will affect your chances at LR for you to worry about right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 pm

CyLaw wrote:

Short of actively insulting or alienating a group of people, no one is going to care about your political views (for better or worse). Also, there are plenty of out spoken conservatives at the school.

ETA: Also, you are a 0L right. Don't worry about LR right now. There are way too many factors that will affect your chances at LR for you to worry about right now.
Are there a lot of Ron Paul fans at cornell law school?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri May 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Are there a lot of Ron Paul fans at cornell law school?
Ron Paul came to campus and people went to the event. I don't know if they are fans though.

(Also, shouldn't it be Ron Paul supporters. Fans makes him sound like a pop star.)

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 pm

I apologize for asking ANOTHER placement question (but the 2011 #'s still have me scared so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision here). And this will probably be the last one :D

Its been discussed in other threads that Columbia did really well at OCI last year with 78% of the class getting an offer (or at least of the participants). So that's for the c/o 2013. (obviously not going to columbia but just using as example and reference point)

I know for Cornell the 80% figure has been tossed around here but is that official for the C/O 2013 offer rate at OCI last year or is that rumor/gossip? Also is there any breakdown by V10, V20 V50 etc? If you want to stay anonymous you can PM me

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I apologize for asking ANOTHER placement question (but the 2011 #'s still have me scared so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision here). And this will probably be the last one :D

Its been discussed in other threads that Columbia did really well at OCI last year with 78% of the class getting an offer (or at least of the participants). So that's for the c/o 2013. (obviously not going to columbia but just using as example and reference point)

I know for Cornell the 80% figure has been tossed around here but is that official for the C/O 2013 offer rate at OCI last year or is that rumor/gossip? Also is there any breakdown by V10, V20 V50 etc? If you want to stay anonymous you can PM me
Would like to know this as well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

If the members Of LR are primarily liberal, and you are conservative, would writing a do resort statement on political views put you at a disadvantage? Maybe it depends on who reads it?
Why the hell would you write a political statement? Write some bullshit about something that makes you different and be done with it. Do the statement cause it's stupid to miss out on the point it gives you in the composite score, but don't be an asshole in it. Jesus, only law students need to be told these things.

And this year we had something like 43 associates if I remember correctly. I think 16 grade on, then there's some number of the highest writing competition scores that get on and the rest are grades, write on, and personal statement composites.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:I apologize for asking ANOTHER placement question (but the 2011 #'s still have me scared so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision here). And this will probably be the last one :D

Would like to know this as well
We did fine. I would bet that it wasn't 80% but it was good placement all around. There's no breakdowns cause that's just silly. If you're that curious go look through firm websites and see where they hire from. Cornell hasn't told our class how we did but it wasn't at all like the 2011 NALP numbers so I wouldn't worry about it.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:29 pm

mths wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Why the hell would you write a political statement? Write some bullshit about something that makes you different and be done with it. Do the statement cause it's stupid to miss out on the point it gives you in the composite score, but don't be an asshole in it. Jesus, only law students need to be told these things.

And this year we had something like 43 associates if I remember correctly. I think 16 grade on, then there's some number of the highest writing competition scores that get on and the rest are grades, write on, and personal statement composites.
Jeez...I'm not trying to be an asshole. It was an honest question. If many of the LR members are liberal I was thinking it might be worthwhile to discuss how you can bring a conservative perspective to some of the notes to reach a wider audience.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 pm

msblaw89 wrote: Jeez...I'm not trying to be an asshole. It was an honest question. If many of the LR members are liberal I was thinking it might be worthwhile to discuss how you can bring a conservative perspective to some of the notes to reach a wider audience.
smh

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:43 pm

mths wrote:
msblaw89 wrote: Jeez...I'm not trying to be an asshole. It was an honest question. If many of the LR members are liberal I was thinking it might be worthwhile to discuss how you can bring a conservative perspective to some of the notes to reach a wider audience.
smh
Upshot: They're shaping up to bring more fun to the listserv than we delivered. I know we're a disappointment in that regard.

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
smh
Upshot: They're shaping up to bring more fun to the listserv than we delivered. I know we're a disappointment in that regard.
smh? Not following...and I am not sure if I am supposed to or not

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
smh
3L will be the year I finally figure out how to unsubscribe to that shit.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:19 pm

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
smh
Did you not get the email about how to mute conversations?

Also msblaw:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smh

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri May 04, 2012 10:23 pm

mths wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
mths wrote:
smh
http://www.it.cornell.edu/cms/services/ ... /leave.cfm It works

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Sat May 05, 2012 1:18 pm

"I think I would be an excellent candidate for the law review because I voted for Romney."

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:30 pm

vexion wrote:"I think I would be an excellent candidate for the law review because I voted for Romney."
Alright, alright. I Meant something more substantial than that, but I get it.... No politics

Ostrizr316

New

Post by Ostrizr316 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:00 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
vexion wrote:"I think I would be an excellent candidate for the law review because I voted for Romney."
Alright, alright. I Meant something more substantial than that, but I get it.... No politics
Writing a statement about how being conservative makes you diverse, or gives you a diverse perspective about law, is a really stupid idea because it shows that you don't know what law reviews do.

Although the criteria for the diversity statement has changed slightly this year, I'll share the advice that was given to me by the then Notes Editor and Managing Editor when I proposed to write a statement about my racial background:

Don't write some checkbox diversity essay that makes you seem like you have a unique perspective, because at the end of the day it will come of cliche and everyone else does that. Instead, write an essay about why you are the type of person that we would want to work with for the next year. Because when it comes down to choosing between the last few students that have minuscule differences between their GPAs and writing scores, what we really want to know is 'Is this someone who will take their editing assignments seriously, who has a skill-set that the journal can benefit from, and will be able to step up into a leadership role in less than a year.'

That was the best advice I got, and I wrote my statement accordingly and composited on to Law Review. While I can't say that the same thing will apply this year, take the time and go talk to the ME, SNE, and EIC and find out what they're looking for in the statement. They're all incredibly approachable people, and as long as you come off earnestly (and not like a conceited douche bag) you're likely to get some useful info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”