Stetson Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
savanna

New

Re: Stetson Law School

Post by savanna » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Did you guys get your scholarship offers in your acceptance letter? I just got accepted, but no mention of scholarship money in the letter. :?

Denny_Crane

New

Post by Denny_Crane » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:28 pm

savanna wrote:Did you guys get your scholarship offers in your acceptance letter? I just got accepted, but no mention of scholarship money in the letter. :?
Yeah, mine was in the folder packet with my acceptance.

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Well that sucks. I have a 3.81/157, I thought I would get atleast a little scholarship..

Denny_Crane

New

Post by Denny_Crane » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 pm

savanna wrote:Well that sucks. I have a 3.81/157, I thought I would get atleast a little scholarship..
I wouldn't give up hope. My guess is they put the full scholarship offers in to make sure we knew about them before the visit weekend at the end of the month. It is very possible that other scholarship offers will be going out later.

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:54 pm

My travel arrangements are made for the scholars retreat! I haven't been to Florida in 7 years. I'm so excited!

Anybody else going? Denny Crane?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Denny_Crane

New

Post by Denny_Crane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 pm

carrowd3 wrote:My travel arrangements are made for the scholars retreat! I haven't been to Florida in 7 years. I'm so excited!

Anybody else going? Denny Crane?
I just made my arrangements as well. Actually flying into Orlando (much cheaper) and renting a car so I can visit UF while I'm down there. I haven't made hotel reservations yet because since I have a car I will probably just stay at a cheap place somewhat near the campus.

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:36 pm

The Stetson Scholar's retreat went very well. The campus is very nice! It even looks better in person. The professors were impressive and very sociable. I stayed in a resort on the beach and got a sunburn yesterday (it's hard to beat that in Feb)! Also the TLS representatives were very cool! It was great to meet you guys. I'll be sending in my deposit soon. See you in August or perhaps over the summer!

To the people that are waiting on scholarships: it's likely that more will be coming out soon. They will focus on filling niche areas (URMs and economically disadvantaged in particular) and perhaps some more schollys for good numbers.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:51 pm

carrowd3 wrote:The Stetson Scholar's retreat went very well. The campus is very nice! It even looks better in person. The professors were impressive and very sociable. I stayed in a resort on the beach and got a sunburn yesterday (it's hard to beat that in Feb)! Also the TLS representatives were very cool! It was great to meet you guys. I'll be sending in my deposit soon. See you in August or perhaps over the summer!

To the people that are waiting on scholarships: it's likely that more will be coming out soon. They will focus on filling niche areas (URMs and economically disadvantaged in particular) and perhaps some more schollys for good numbers.
I hope my wife isn't secretly checking this thread...she's in love with the Stetson campus and the possibility that we might end up there...

Even though I'm in at several closer, cheaper, and arguably better schools, she is dead set on Stetson...and she's winning me over!

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:32 pm

I will second carrow's experience. Campus is beautiful and the faculty were extremely impressive and obviously care more about the students than about anything else, including their own careers/income/etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:48 pm

carrowd3 wrote:To the people that are waiting on scholarships: it's likely that more will be coming out soon. They will focus on filling niche areas (URMs and economically disadvantaged in particular) and perhaps some more schollys for good numbers.
Man I hope so. I can't justify going there without at least some amount of merit $.
carrowd3 wrote:I hope my wife isn't secretly checking this thread...she's in love with the Stetson campus and the possibility that we might end up there...

Even though I'm in at several closer, cheaper, and arguably better schools, she is dead set on Stetson...and she's winning me over!
My wife is doing the exact same thing! Haha.
HenryDavid wrote:I will second carrow's experience. Campus is beautiful and the faculty were extremely impressive and obviously care more about the students than about anything else, including their own careers/income/etc.
Thank you guys for the info. This is going to be an agonizing couple of weeks waiting...

Denny_Crane

New

Post by Denny_Crane » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Finally getting around to posting some pics from the Scholars Weekend. Like others have said, the weekend was great and the campus and faculty are amazing. While I still have some visits left to take, I know Stetson would be a great place to be, I certainly felt comfortable there.

Anyway, here are the pics:
And a couple pictures of what is a mile or so from campus:

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 pm

Wooo! Who's ready to start school?!!!! Thanks Denny_Crane

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 pm

Great pics, Denny! I'm hoping for something in the mail by the end of this week, or the start of next...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nicolethera7

New

Post by nicolethera7 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Nice pictures...the really have me hopeing I get in. The suspense is killing me...my status checker said decision mailed on the 6th and still nothing.

GatorWade

New

Post by GatorWade » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Hey I have been waiting for the second round of scholarships to come out for Stetson and wanted to know if I could get some realistic feed back from my numbers. I am an URM with 3.32/154 and solid work experience. I know the LSAT is a little low but is there any chance of money?

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:58 pm

GatorWade wrote:Hey I have been waiting for the second round of scholarships to come out for Stetson and wanted to know if I could get some realistic feed back from my numbers. I am an URM with 3.32/154 and solid work experience. I know the LSAT is a little low but is there any chance of money?
Ive been waiting to hear back from stetson with a 3.45 165 and one of the main admissions guy said scholarships are usually around 3.5 160

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am

Just found out I was not in that 2nd Round of schollys...

Major bummer, and I don't know if I can continue considering Stetson as a viable option - eve though I would very much like to.

Can anyone else that gets news on this matter post some info - whether or not you got a merit offer in this 2nd Round, and any other information you would like to include.

First actual "bad day" I feel like I've had so far this cycle :( .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcsbball11

New

Post by rcsbball11 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:04 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:Just found out I was not in that 2nd Round of schollys...

Major bummer, and I don't know if I can continue considering Stetson as a viable option - eve though I would very much like to.

Can anyone else that gets news on this matter post some info - whether or not you got a merit offer in this 2nd Round, and any other information you would like to include.

First actual "bad day" I feel like I've had so far this cycle :( .
How do you know you aren't in the 2nd round of schollys?

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 am

I sent my commitment into Stetson yesterday and withdrew from everywhere else!! My cycle is over....ahhhhhh... :D

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:02 am

How do you know you aren't in the 2nd round of schollys?
Contact with Admissions.

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:16 pm

So who all is seriously considering Stetson at this point?

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get a LITTLE TINY scholarship... Maybe my expectations were far too high. :?
Last edited by savanna on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rcsbball11

New

Post by rcsbball11 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:18 pm

savanna wrote:So who all is seriously considering Stetson at this point?
I am! Still waiting to hear schools, but I love the Tampa area and loved the school when I visited. I just wish they would give me money :(

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:18 pm

rcsbball11 wrote:
I am! Still waiting to hear schools, but I love the Tampa area and loved the school when I visited. I just wish they would give me money :(

Ohh I know. I mean, my stats aren't great by any stretch, but I thought they were ! the higher end for Stetson. I guess all cash offers have probably already went out?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:23 pm

SouthFloridaGrad wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone fill me in on where to go for good resources on Stetson Law School? It is the only law school in my local area and I am seriously considering it but would love to know more about it. Job placement, student life, intellectual rigor, etc.

My first actual LSAT diagnostic was 161 and my GPA is 3.5, so I think I can get in there.

Thanks in advance!
You're in need of some learning, and you came to the right place!

If your first diagnostic LSAT was 161, you should be aiming for 170 on the real thing. Spend 3 months studying, ask on the LSAT forum about tips. You should be practicing at 170+ before the exam.

WIth a 170/3.5, Stetson doesn't need to be on your radar. You should be targeting the T18. Maybe apply Early Decision to Cornell, Georgetown, or Vanderbilt.

rcsbball11

New

Post by rcsbball11 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:45 pm

savanna wrote:
rcsbball11 wrote:

Ohh I know. I mean, my stats aren't great by any stretch, but I thought they were ! the higher end for Stetson. I guess all cash offers have probably already went out?
I think that 2 rounds of scholarship offers have gone out, and they said that there may be 1 more round going out. I wish I could get a little something as well! I'm not too excited about paying full price!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”