Stetson Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sanpiero

Silver

Re: Stetson Law School

Post by sanpiero » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:18 am

haven't been accepted yet, but will seriously consider with substantial scholarship $'s. thanks for the pics, denny!

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:07 pm

So what did everyone else think of the Open House yesterday?

I thought it was pretty awesome. The school is a resort, literally, and all the faculty and admins seemed legit to me. The area appeared to be a great place to spend 3 years. I'm gonna have a hard time saying no.

AverageGuy

New

Post by AverageGuy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:27 pm

If you got into both Stetson and Miami and both cost almost the same money, where would you go? Why?

I'm running out of time...thought I had made up my mind once, and now I'm having second thoughts. I just got into Miami. The Miami acceptance topic responded that they'd choose Miami since Stetson competes for jobs with FSU and UF grads. Stetson has good trial programs and a good Elder Law program though (and Orlando...).

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:51 pm

AverageGuy wrote:If you got into both Stetson and Miami and both cost almost the same money, where would you go? Why?

I'm running out of time...thought I had made up my mind once, and now I'm having second thoughts. I just got into Miami. The Miami acceptance topic responded that they'd choose Miami since Stetson competes for jobs with FSU and UF grads. Stetson has good trial programs and a good elder law program though (and Orlando...).
i was in the same dilemma but i chose miami

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:11 pm

I think the Miami v Stetson question depends on the type of person you are.

If you're into money/luxury, image/the latest fads, and a truly national/international experience I'd say Miami is your best bet. It has more going on, with a more diverse array of people, at all times. However, it is the busier of the two - as it is a much bigger city with more "big city" problems (crime, traffic, high CoL, etc).

On the other hand, if you're into a pretty chill, somewhat funky/beach-oriented, practical lawyering experience I would say Stetson is for you. It has less going on in terms of the most "happening" night life, but it seems like it would be a great place to spend three years (or more) with a family and such. It has a cheaper CoL and I would imagine much less crime/traffic.

Personally, I've gleaned a lot of information and opinions on these boards in the past 6 months or so. Much of that has instilled doubts in me regarding the quality of Miami's admin and their committment to the students. There has been a reoccuring theme of unhappiness associated with it in some form or another. Now I know none of this is confirmed, and I am sure many of you would/will be objecting to this "hearsay" - but I have never heard similar rumors about Stetson. Everyone I have read from or spoken to has had nothing but good things to say about it, and its programs and style just seem compatible with me and my goals as a lawyer (read not Biglaw).

Sorry for rambling, but like I said before it is just a personal decision in the end. Don't let the rankings own you. Decide for yourself and I can guarantee you'll be happier in the long run. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:22 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:I think the Miami v Stetson question depends on the type of person you are.

If you're into money/luxury, image/the latest fads, and a truly national/international experience I'd say Miami is your best bet. It has more going on, with a more diverse array of people, at all times. However, it is the busier of the two - as it is a much bigger city with more "big city" problems (crime, traffic, high CoL, etc).

On the other hand, if you're into a pretty chill, somewhat funky/beach-oriented, practical lawyering experience I would say Stetson is for you. It has less going on in terms of the most "happening" night life, but it seems like it would be a great place to spend three years (or more) with a family and such. It has a cheaper CoL and I would imagine much less crime/traffic.

Personally, I've gleaned a lot of information and opinions on these boards in the past 6 months or so. Much of that has instilled doubts in me regarding the quality of Miami's admin and their committment to the students. There has been a reoccuring theme of unhappiness associated with it in some form or another. Now I know none of this is confirmed, and I am sure many of you would/will be objecting to this "hearsay" - but I have never heard similar rumors about Stetson. Everyone I have read from or spoken to has had nothing but good things to say about it, and its programs and style just seem compatible with me and my goals as a lawyer (read not Biglaw).

Sorry for rambling, but like I said before it is just a personal decision in the end. Don't let the rankings own you. Decide for yourself and I can guarantee you'll be happier in the long run. Good luck.

haha wow that part i bolded above is pretty ridiculous :roll:

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:15 pm

I know I know, but really that is what I picture whenever I hear/read peoples' reasoning for going there. They usually want to pursue the firm route, and the conversation often devolves into where the best night life is, and why such and such is better than so and so.

I tried to qualify my statements as speculative bs, but I can still admit that is pretty rediculous. Just trying to draw distinctions - Sorry.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:53 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:I know I know, but really that is what I picture whenever I hear/read peoples' reasoning for going there. They usually want to pursue the firm route, and the conversation often devolves into where the best night life is, and why such and such is better than so and so.

I tried to qualify my statements as speculative bs, but I can still admit that is pretty rediculous. Just trying to draw distinctions - Sorry.
ohhh haha it's all good. in all honesty, i love stetson and would be totally fine going there. the campus is BEAUTIFUL and they have outstanding programs.

i chose miami because i just felt it gave me 1. better options to move around nationally if need-be (lots of people haven't ever heard stetson unfortunately, but they should because it's a great school) and 2. better ability to transfer up (if i decide i want to)

congrats on choosing stetson though!

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:01 pm

You're right and it sounds like you picked Miami for the right reasons. Congrats and good luck down there Midrange!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

davosdank

New

Post by davosdank » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:21 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:I think the Miami v Stetson question depends on the type of person you are.

The original question was what do you pick if tuition is roughly equal and your choices are between Miami and Stetson, what should you do.

Listen: If your choices are

A. Miami

B. Stetson

You choose A. Miami every single time w/o hesitation. I say this with zero bias, just trying to help your career along if you see this as a difficult decision.

Jay Wa

New

Post by Jay Wa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 pm

A. Miami

B. Stetson

You choose A. Miami every single time w/o hesitation. I say this with zero bias, just trying to help your career along if you see this as a difficult decision.
I disagree. I was weighing the pros and cons of both schools. While I concede, Miami has a much better nightlife, it wouldn't always be the best move to further your career. Keep in mind that both are reigonal schools; if you're trying to work in Tampa/St. Pete area after graduation, you're far better off at Stetson. If you're shooting to work in Miami, or anywhere else in South Florida, you'd be better off at Miami.

Also, you want to focus your decision on what you're interested in. Anything related to litigation/advocacy/public sector, Stetson > Miami. Not necessarily the case if you're interested in Intellectual Property or Entertainment law.

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Jay Wa wrote:

A. Miami

B. Stetson

I disagree. I was weighing the pros and cons of both schools. While I concede, Miami has a much better nightlife, it wouldn't always be the best move to further your career. Keep in mind that both are reigonal schools; if you're trying to work in Tampa/St. Pete area after graduation, you're far better off at Stetson. If you're shooting to work in Miami, or anywhere else in South Florida, you'd be better off at Miami.

Also, you want to focus your decision on what you're interested in. Anything related to litigation/advocacy/public sector, Stetson > Miami. Not necessarily the case if you're interested in Intellectual Property or Entertainment law.
+1

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Jay Wa wrote:

A. Miami

B. Stetson

I'd actually say that if you want Tampa area you'd be far better off to go with UF... just my opinion. I do agree with the majority of your post though, Stetson will provide better options than than Miami in Tampa area, but barring only wanting to work in Tampa or MAYBE Orlando, Miami would likely be the better choice 9 times out of 10. Also, at the 3.5/160 scholarship point Miami will come through with a much better offer, if that makes any difference at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:25 pm

dante500 wrote:
Jay Wa wrote:

A. Miami

B. Stetson

I'd actually say that if you want Tampa area you'd be far better off to go with UF... just my opinion. I do agree with the majority of your post though, Stetson will provide better options than than Miami in Tampa area, but barring only wanting to work in Tampa or MAYBE Orlando, Miami would likely be the better choice 9 times out of 10. Also, at the 3.5/160 scholarship point Miami will come through with a much better offer, if that makes any difference at all.
So, between Stetson and Miami for Tampa career prospects, you would go with UF?

Denny_Crane

New

Post by Denny_Crane » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:38 pm

dante500 wrote:Also, at the 3.5/160 scholarship point Miami will come through with a much better offer, if that makes any difference at all.
Not true, at least in my case. Although my GPA was slightly higher than 3.5.

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:50 pm

I was seriously considering stetson and with a 3.45 165 I thought I would get a scholarship but didnt which is laughable. Stetson seems like a great place (im from the area) but for wanting to practice in florida UF is hard to beat. In regards to the miami v. stetson it definitely has to come down to location, if you are wanting tampa or orlando then id say stetson, anywhere south miami.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Denny_Crane wrote:
dante500 wrote:Also, at the 3.5/160 scholarship point Miami will come through with a much better offer, if that makes any difference at all.
Not true, at least in my case. Although my GPA was slightly higher than 3.5.
Really? When I applied to both with my first LSAT (3.5/159), I had a 23K/yr scholly with Miami and a half tuition @ Stetson. I've heard anecdotal from others to support what I had thought was in stone. I guess I have formed incomplete conclusions. Thanks for the correction.
HenryDavid wrote:
dante500 wrote:
Jay Wa wrote:

A. Miami

B. Stetson

You may want to improve your reading comprehension if you are after a successful career in law. GO ahead and read it again; I'm sure you'll get it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:13 pm

As of right now the options that I'm considering are Miami and Stetson (waiting on a final decision from FSU), and I have to put a deposit down very soon...
I live in Tampa and want to work here... does everyone on this thread really think Stetson would be a better choice out of those two schools..?! I thought the opposite and planned to put a deposit down for the time being at UM...
Ohh yea, and I don't think I'd take a job in Miami and live there regardless of how great the opportunity.
Time for some more research I guess :?

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Boyk1182 wrote:As of right now the options that I'm considering are Miami and Stetson (waiting on a final decision from FSU), and I have to put a deposit down very soon...
I live in Tampa and want to work here... does everyone on this thread really think Stetson would be a better choice out of those two schools..?! I thought the opposite and planned to put a deposit down for the time being at UM...
Ohh yea, and I don't think I'd take a job in Miami and live there regardless of how great the opportunity.
Time for some more research I guess :?
Form what you've said, Stetson is the choice for you IMO. If you aren't down to live in South FL don't bother going to UM.

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:48 pm

HenryDavid wrote:
dante500 wrote:
Jay Wa wrote:

A. Miami

B. Stetson

You may want to improve your reading comprehension if you are after a successful career in law. GO ahead and read it again; I'm sure you'll get it.[/quote]

Just wondering why you would mention UF when people are asking for advice between Stetson and Miami. Thanks for being a complete douche, though.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am

HenryDavid wrote:Just wondering why you would mention UF when people are asking for advice between Stetson and Miami. Thanks for being a complete douche, though.
Complete douche huh? You've get nothing better to do with your time than attack people in threads that are genuinely trying to help? Are you really that big of a jackass? I can't imagine that you are in real life, but I have been wrong before.

I tendered my advice to someone and it was directly to do with what the topic is about. Someone mentioned Stetson being good for Tampa, and I thought I'd chime in that UF would be a better option than Stetson. My comments were given in good faith. I didn't realize being honest and providing some useful info made me a douche. You should probably grow up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:31 pm

dante500 wrote:
HenryDavid wrote:Just wondering why you would mention UF when people are asking for advice between Stetson and Miami. Thanks for being a complete douche, though.
Complete douche huh? You've get nothing better to do with your time than attack people in threads that are genuinely trying to help? Are you really that big of a jackass? I can't imagine that you are in real life, but I have been wrong before.

I tendered my advice to someone and it was directly to do with what the topic is about. Someone mentioned Stetson being good for Tampa, and I thought I'd chime in that UF would be a better option than Stetson. My comments were given in good faith. I didn't realize being honest and providing some useful info made me a douche. You should probably grow up.
I just personally think that it is silly to respond to someone asking which of two schools would be better by recommending a third school. Did I attack you? Tell you to improve your reading comprehension? Nope. Did you do that to me? Yep.

Now, on to the matter at hand. Stetson absolutely destroys Miami in the Tampa area. So, yes, go to Stetson if those are your two options and you want Tampa area. Stetson is the only law school within a hundred mile radius of Tampa/St. Pete, which is the 12th or 13th largest metro area in the country. This means that all the big shots in the area have one choice if they want to have community involvement with a law school. This is certainly not true in Miami, although I would imagine the better opportunities would be at Miami over other schools in that area.

Stetson has the community feel. Miami has the big-city feel. Cost of living seems to be a bit lower at Stetson than Miami. Stetson has better legal writing and advocacy programs - they just won a national championship in Trial Advocacy in West Palm Beach against 146 other schools. Miami has far superior International Law prospects. Miami is connected with a large UG institution and all that comes along with that (good and bad); Stetson's UG campus is over a hundred miles away.

If UF is actually an option, then I think dante500 is correct, UF places better into the big firms around Tampa than Stetson.

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:02 pm

HenryDavid wrote:
dante500 wrote:

I just personally think that it is silly to respond to someone asking which of two schools would be better by recommending a third school. Did I attack you? Tell you to improve your reading comprehension? Nope. Did you do that to me? Yep.

Now, on to the matter at hand. Stetson absolutely destroys Miami in the Tampa area. So, yes, go to Stetson if those are your two options and you want Tampa area. Stetson is the only law school within a hundred mile radius of Tampa/St. Pete, which is the 12th or 13th largest metro area in the country. This means that all the big shots in the area have one choice if they want to have community involvement with a law school. This is certainly not true in Miami, although I would imagine the better opportunities would be at Miami over other schools in that area.

Stetson has the community feel. Miami has the big-city feel. Cost of living seems to be a bit lower at Stetson than Miami. Stetson has better legal writing and advocacy programs - they just won a national championship in Trial Advocacy in West Palm Beach against 146 other schools. Miami has far superior International Law prospects. Miami is connected with a large UG institution and all that comes along with that (good and bad); Stetson's UG campus is over a hundred miles away.

If UF is actually an option, then I think dante500 is correct, UF places better into the big firms around Tampa than Stetson.
Listen, I didn't attack you. I simply pointed something out. There's no need to take offense in an internet discussion. And I really didn't bring UF into the argument for the hell of it, but for the sake of both pointing out that Stetson grads are up against competition in their own city, and possibly pointing out an option that perhaps OP hadn't weighed up to that point. It wasn't intended, as I've seen other on here do, as imposing a third option as the only choice between 2 that OP is making. As I said, I am honestly trying to provide useful insight. It seemed like you were brushing that aside is all.

FWIW I agree with your post above.

HenryDavid

New

Post by HenryDavid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:49 pm

dante500 wrote:
HenryDavid wrote:
dante500 wrote:

Listen, I didn't attack you. I simply pointed something out. There's no need to take offense in an internet discussion. And I really didn't bring UF into the argument for the hell of it, but for the sake of both pointing out that Stetson grads are up against competition in their own city, and possibly pointing out an option that perhaps OP hadn't weighed up to that point. It wasn't intended, as I've seen other on here do, as imposing a third option as the only choice between 2 that OP is making. As I said, I am honestly trying to provide useful insight. It seemed like you were brushing that aside is all.

FWIW I agree with your post above.
No worries, man. As long as people are getting valuable info, it's all good! Sorry if I came across as dismissive of your UF idea. Maybe I am just mad that I am not getting a full ride at UF, and it is coloring my perceptions! :wink:

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:15 pm

alright is the pillow fight over ladies?

now back to stetson

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”