UCB Law School: AI Policy Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AdminMod1

New

UCB Law School: AI Policy

Post by AdminMod1 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:48 pm

Has anyone read the new AI policy at UCB law school? Do you think it's fair for students to use AI to generate research and correct grammar? How will schools ensure students do not use it to plagiarize? What do you think? Any thoughts?

Serjatclaw

New

Re: UCB Law School: AI Policy

Post by Serjatclaw » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:40 pm

I don't see how using AI for grammar and spelling is particularly more egregious than people using something like spellcheck or Grammarly. I'm a lot more concerned with how schools intend to check for AI: from what I've seen, a lot of these tools that scan for AI generated text (and plagiarism in general) tend to be unreliable and occasionally spit out false positives.

Moving forward, it's going to be extremely important for students to objectively prove they weren't using AI: for example, Google Docs tracks how and when a document was edited, and Microsoft Word lets you open up previous versions of a document. Also, we may be seeing more of those (literal spyware) proctor programs being used, similar to the online LSAT situation.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”