3L Electives Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DrunkOjSimpson

New

3L Electives

Post by DrunkOjSimpson » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:02 am

Hello, 3L interested in lit - have D.Ct clerkship for after graduation and BigLaw offer for after.

Would you say it is more important to take a BLL course like Fed. Cts. or an elective in an area of law that you might be interested in practicing? (trademark, privacy)?

Thank you!

cavalier1138

Re: 3L Electives

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:12 am

Since you already have a clerkship lined up, I'd take whatever you're most interested in. The only reason I'd suggest Fed Courts is if you want to do an appellate clerkship after your district court clerkship; if that's the case, judges will likely expect to see Fed Courts on your transcript.

Antetrust

New

Re: 3L Electives

Post by Antetrust » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:04 am

I wager your Judge would prefer you to take fed courts. Even after being offered a (district court) clerkship, my Judge strongly encouraged me to take federal jurisdiction (our school's equivalent). Federal jurisdiction is an ever-present issue in every case in federal courts, and the last thing anybody wants is to waste time and resources on a case just to get reversed because jurisdiction was improperly claimed.

Trademarks was an interesting course for me, too, though!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”