Would these 2 non criminal entities preclude me from admission to the bar Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolsplit2023

New

Would these 2 non criminal entities preclude me from admission to the bar

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:57 pm

Planning to apply and then graduate from law school in 2028, 5 years from now. I have no criminal record whatsoever, not even traffic tickets. But am still worried about Character and Fitness for two non criminal entities:

1). I promised someone a donative gift, with no consideration on their end and they are threatening to sue me for relying on the promise (civil matter)
2). when I was executor for my late parents estate I had penalties and interests (civil penalties) as executor, but have taken care of it, and have always filed my own taxes on time.

These two issues Ill have to disclose on C and F, 5 years from now. Even though these two entities dont look great, is it still better then an applicant that had a criminal record of even a misdemeanor? and I should still pass C and F in New York

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Would these 2 non criminal entities preclude me from admission to the bar

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm

lawschoolsplit2023 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:57 pm
Planning to apply and then graduate from law school in 2028, 5 years from now. I have no criminal record whatsoever, not even traffic tickets. But am still worried about Character and Fitness for two non criminal entities:

1). I promised someone a donative gift, with no consideration on their end and they are threatening to sue me for relying on the promise (civil matter)
2). when I was executor for my late parents estate I had penalties and interests (civil penalties) as executor, but have taken care of it, and have always filed my own taxes on time.

These two issues Ill have to disclose on C and F, 5 years from now. Even though these two entities dont look great, is it still better then an applicant that had a criminal record of even a misdemeanor? and I should still pass C and F in New York
You should talk with a C and F attorney. But, I'd think you'd be okay. You aren't hiding the ball, nothing was illegal and you've taken care of it. You could also call adcomms (idk if that is still a thing)- but my thoughts are: (1) this won't be an issue and (2) you should talk to a c & f lawyer.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:04 pm

I would grab the C&F application from the bar you plan on taking, see what they ask. Those incidents might not even be reportable. If they are, of course disclosing them is the only answer.

You can also grab the C&F questions from some law school applications, and if you really want some closure you might even be able to speak with law school admissions about whether and how to disclose those items.

From my perspective, those are both non-issues. I can't imagine being denied on those grounds. I disclosed similar caliber items in my application and wasn't even asked about any of them.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:08 pm

Had similar stuff (not exactly but not getting into it). and spoke with my schools OCI team who referred me to a lawyer who spoke w me for free. Said I’m fine. Careful of the google lawyers. They’ll charge you for the same thing a wholesome person will give for free. I really think ur ok and no disclose.

lawschoolsplit2023

New

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:36 am

Thanks everyone for all the beneficial replies and everyones efforts to assist me with the above inquiry. One question, further, if anyone wouldn't mind (and again I do appreciate it):

As mentioned above, I have no criminal history (not even traffic violations) but am worrying over the threat of a lawsuit towards me. It pertains to a large inheritance I received and someone saying I promised them a loan for a house, which we had no contract, just what the party deems is a promise in email, which doesnt even look definite.

If the party prevails with a lawsuit, and given they sue for over $50,000 and its in high court, will that still not have bearings on C and F, as an applicant with say (a misdemeanor, DUI, etc).

I read that the bar cares more about criminal infractions and other disciplinary actions pertaining to (fraud, financial) By financial, do they mean like embezzlement, not a breach of contract or promise involving money, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”