did New york really eliminate mental health C and F for bar Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolsplit2023

New

did New york really eliminate mental health C and F for bar

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:49 am

I am planning on applying to law school (top 14 hopeful) by Fall 2024. My ultimate goal is practicing law in New York city. So I should graduate from law school 5 years from now and have been worrying for quite a while about C and F. I have a clear record, no misdemeanors, felonies, traffic tickets, nothing but I have been concerned on the C and F section pertaining to mental health. I have ADD and anxiety that are difficult for me to grapple with and I wish to seek treatment. This will entail seeing a mental health NP this week and likely being referred to a psychiatrist.

1). Is it really true that mental health is no longer a concern or asked in NY bar, C and F questions? As a credible article stated that
2). Assuming this is incorrect or something changes in five years, Is just seeing a psychiatrist and getting treatment for ADD, anxiety and possibly mild depression, enough to raise red flags of my suitability? Or should be fine in either case.

nixy

Gold

Re: did New york really eliminate mental health C and F for bar

Post by nixy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:04 pm

Getting treatment is a much better thing for C&F than not getting treatment and screwing up stuff due to not being treated, and I think bar associations have largely come to understand that. Generally, the worst you’d have to do is get a letter from your medical provider saying that your conditions don’t affect your ability to practice law.

Short version, you’ll be fine. Get the treatment that will allow you to thrive.

melgibsonfan

New

Post by melgibsonfan » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:19 pm

lawschoolsplit2023 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:49 am
I am planning on applying to law school (top 14 hopeful) by Fall 2024. My ultimate goal is practicing law in New York city. So I should graduate from law school 5 years from now and have been worrying for quite a while about C and F. I have a clear record, no misdemeanors, felonies, traffic tickets, nothing but I have been concerned on the C and F section pertaining to mental health. I have ADD and anxiety that are difficult for me to grapple with and I wish to seek treatment. This will entail seeing a mental health NP this week and likely being referred to a psychiatrist.

1). Is it really true that mental health is no longer a concern or asked in NY bar, C and F questions? As a credible article stated that
2). Assuming this is incorrect or something changes in five years, Is just seeing a psychiatrist and getting treatment for ADD, anxiety and possibly mild depression, enough to raise red flags of my suitability? Or should be fine in either case.
If you really need the reassurance, it never hurts to speak to a C&F attorney. They see so many cases and will have a better idea of your situation.

Allegro3935

New

Post by Allegro3935 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:18 pm

The other posters are correct. Getting treatment for your mental health in this case will not present any C&F issues. As long as your doctor is able to say that your condition will not affect your work, you will not have a problem.

Edit: I had conditions similar to yours and I got treated. I've had no problem getting accepted to law school or getting a certified legal internship from my state's bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”