how badly could this effect C and Fitness Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolsplit2023

New

how badly could this effect C and Fitness

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:12 am

I am planning to apply to law school Fall 2024, therefore if all goes well, should graduate Spring 2028. Worrying a bit today about C and F. I have no criminal record whatsoever - no felonies, misdemeanors, not even traffic tickets. In terms of taxes ive always paid and filed everything on time. However, I am still going through probate for my parents who passed in 2020 and it was hard to track down over ten accounts of liquid assets, so I have recently filed and paid their last year of taxes over a year late. I am not sure what reprisals will come from IRS, as am sure the fines and penalties wont be cheap.

But was just wondering, given I have no record, and no tax issues of my own, and whatever fines occur from parents last year of taxes, will be 5 years in the past when I graduate from law school. Could this preclude me of taking the bar? You hear all the time of people with misdemeanors, or DUI's getting through alright for the bar, so should I be alright too? especially as this probate tax situation will be 5 years or so in the past when its time for me to graduate

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: how badly could this effect C and Fitness

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:30 pm

As always, contact an attorney to discuss this in detail, but my gut feeling is this isn't an issue at all. I don't think this will even come up, but if it does, it isn't anything to do with you and you're just trying to track down your folks' probate assets and get shit straight. Wouldn't worry about it.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:53 pm

This is a non issue.

butonawednesday

New

Post by butonawednesday » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:06 pm

yes
non-issue

Eve2022

New

Post by Eve2022 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:42 pm

lawschoolsplit2023 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:12 am
I am planning to apply to law school Fall 2024, therefore if all goes well, should graduate Spring 2028. Worrying a bit today about C and F. I have no criminal record whatsoever - no felonies, misdemeanors, not even traffic tickets. In terms of taxes ive always paid and filed everything on time. However, I am still going through probate for my parents who passed in 2020 and it was hard to track down over ten accounts of liquid assets, so I have recently filed and paid their last year of taxes over a year late. I am not sure what reprisals will come from IRS, as am sure the fines and penalties wont be cheap.

But was just wondering, given I have no record, and no tax issues of my own, and whatever fines occur from parents last year of taxes, will be 5 years in the past when I graduate from law school. Could this preclude me of taking the bar? You hear all the time of people with misdemeanors, or DUI's getting through alright for the bar, so should I be alright too? especially as this probate tax situation will be 5 years or so in the past when its time for me to graduate
I don't think you need to be too worried. Tax issues with parents are certainly something to consider when applying for the bar exam, but since it will be 5 years in the past by the time you graduate, any fines or penalties should not be a problem. It's also good to know that you have no criminal record, which can be a huge hurdle when taking the bar exam. As long as you have been responsible and taken the necessary steps to pay any taxes owed, I don't think there should be any issues with taking the bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”