What will sub 3.0 gpa's do even with high LSAT if LSAT is taken away Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschoolsplit2023

New

What will sub 3.0 gpa's do even with high LSAT if LSAT is taken away

Post by lawschoolsplit2023 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:02 pm

So, I graduated from college in 2019. Undergraduate experience wasn't stellar, as I was battling cancer in undergrad. I did graduate with a 3.3 accumulative gpa, but the gpa that counts is the one from the law school admission council that is absolute, which is 2.7. When I apply to law school Fall 2024, I will have at least five years separating me from the gpa, and will have immense work experience. And a solid reason for the gpa.

I am now scoring in the 170s on LSAT practices, and I expect and hope to score 178 before I apply Fall 2024. The LSAT is the only way to redeem myself given the gpa.

I always dreamed of a career on Wall Street, and being a corporate lawyer has always been what I am passionate about. If this doesnt work out, then I could always settle for an MBA from a top school as well.

I was really concerned because I read an article yesterday that the ABA is trying to get rid of the LSAT requirement in admissions. Without the LSAT, there would appear no hope to splitters like me.

1). This won't go into affect right, until Fall 2025? So If I take the LSAT prior to Fall 2024 and apply this shouldnt be implemented then?
2). I knew of a 178/2.8 that got into Georgetown law a few years ago, can someone with those credentials, if blanketing top 14, still land a top 14 today?
3). In Fall 2025, when they get rid of the LSAT, does that mean law schools wont look at LSAT, or GRE, just gpa solely? or with the requirement waived, would a high LSAT still look good to admission committees if not part of admissions criteria anymore

nixy

Gold

Re: What will sub 3.0 gpa's do even with high LSAT if LSAT is taken away

Post by nixy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:27 pm

I don’t think anyone knows for certain how this plays out, so any answers here are going to be speculation. That said, making the LSAT optional doesn’t mean you will be prevented from providing it or that adcomms won’t be able to consider it and won’t value it. It just means that schools have more flexibility in who they admit. I mean, currently no schools require work experience or military experience (or fill in additional cool softs here), but those things still get considered and help applicants. I would imagine that a high LSAT is still going to be valuable to adcomms.

Also, the more schools withdraw from the USNWR rankings, the more they can admit splitters like yourself without taking a hit to their GPA for rankings purposes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”