IP Lawyer Roles? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jackiee0512

New

IP Lawyer Roles?

Post by jackiee0512 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:09 am

I'm a trademark lawyer in Hong Kong and I've been doing China trademark work for a few years (prosecution, litigation, enforcement, and a little bit copyright). For personal reasons I'm moving to the US and plan to get a JD degree there (hopefully at one of the lower T14 schools). I like my work, and do not want to throw away my experience in the last few years, so I'm hoping that after JD I can still do IP law, preferably with a broader exposure to technology related work (say litigation and transactions). I know that US lawyers are usually responsible for management of clients' global trademark/IP portfolios so my prior experience can still be useful. I don't need a work visa - no sponsorship required.

Here are my questions:

(1) It seems that most of the IP lawyers at US firms handle a variety of matters and it's rare to just do trademark/soft IP (I personally want to be exposed to other types of IP work as well). I read some posts on this forum and looks like firms prefer people who can do patent work. I have no STEM background. Only studied law and only did trademark work in my life. Is it possible for someone like me to land an IP lawyer job (with possible exposure to technology related work)? Is my prior experience a plus or a disadvantage? I'm 31 and not sure if they would just prefer new graduates (who are younger, more energetic, and likely more capable of long hours).

(2) What is the best way to find such opportunities? Do firms hire IP lawyers on OCI?

(3) Any suggestions on what should I do during law school?

Any insight/comments/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”