My Crazy Career - AMA Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anymouseqwerty

New

Re: My Crazy Career - AMA

Post by anymouseqwerty » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:10 pm

Thanks for posting and making it an easy read. It's rare to get this kind of stuff. I'm in a different practice area, but given that you've switched around into many different areas, I'm curious what you did (maybe only diving into the work?) to ramp up learning in your new practices.

Side note: you might get more questions if people can ask anonymously. You have to reveal your user name to ask in this forum.

Grandstrategygame

New

Re: My Crazy Career - AMA

Post by Grandstrategygame » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:45 am

anymouseqwerty wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:10 pm
Thanks for posting and making it an easy read. It's rare to get this kind of stuff. I'm in a different practice area, but given that you've switched around into many different areas, I'm curious what you did (maybe only diving into the work?) to ramp up learning in your new practices.

Side note: you might get more questions if people can ask anonymously. You have to reveal your user name to ask in this forum.
Hi there; thanks for reading. Regarding new practice areas: I found that, after a certain level of experience, not much was needed to get up to speed. I litigated in every position, and at each subsequent firm there was still a fair amount of personal injury work. For example, I've now litigated medical malpractice cases at three firms. That said, litigating commercial disputes was certainly different, and with instances like that I was never afraid to ask questions and use common sense. I endevaored to take relevant CLEs, and always looked to improve my writing. I read Point Made before I moved to the botique firm because I anticipated they would require a higher level of written work-product; they did, and I found the book to be quite helpful in that regard.

To your side note: I'll move this thread to Legal Employment, where I believe users can post anonymously. Thanks for raising that point.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”