Green card sponsorship by patent law firms Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

How often do patent law firms sponsor green cards for non-resident aliens?

Often - they hire a lot of foreigners and sponsor most after a few years
50%
Sometimes - they hire a lot of foreigners, but don't sponsor unless the employee is truly excellent
50%
Rarely
No votes
Almost never
No votes

Total votes: 2

alyosha_k

New

Green card sponsorship by patent law firms

Post by alyosha_k » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:37 am

I'm currently a non-resident alien and applying to law schools. I'm interested in a career in patent law, but I'm worried that I'll have great difficulty finding a job because technically only green card holders (or citizens) can practice. How often do patent law firms hire and sponsor foreigners for a green card?
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct forum. 0Ls are not allowed to post in the Legal Employment sub-forum.

Phantasio

New

Re: Green card sponsorship by patent law firms

Post by Phantasio » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:47 pm

alyosha_k wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:37 am
I'm currently a non-resident alien and applying to law schools. I'm interested in a career in patent law, but I'm worried that I'll have great difficulty finding a job because technically only green card holders (or citizens) can practice. How often do patent law firms hire and sponsor foreigners for a green card?
Not really. The usual path is to apply for an H1B first. Big Laws typically sponsor those. As a JD, you get 2 chances in the lottery, 1 in your 3L year, and the other a year after. You can use a 1-year OPT after graduation to work in the U.S. while still on F1 visa. H1Bs are 3-year work visas. I believe you can auto-renew it for another 3 years. A lot more firms sponsor green cards for their mid-levels and seniors. Some firms will transfer their juniors who didn't get the H1B lottery to an international office, and keep trying for the H1B, or use a L1 visa to bring them back. These policies vary a lot, but there are a lot of NRAs working in the legal field. It's gonna be harder for you, but far from impossible.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”