Law School Student Housing and Timing Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Inhousefuture

New

Law School Student Housing and Timing

Post by Inhousefuture » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Hello, for the purpose of obtaining law school student housing:

1. How soon after getting accepted to a law school and accepting the acceptance, do you apply for student housing? Do you have to make a seat deposit first, pay the full semesters tuition, move to the school etc?

2. If you need a specific type of student housing, is it possible to find out if you will get it before taking any of these steps: Telling your current landlord, you are moving, paying your seat deposit, taking out your loan for tuition, etc?

In other words, I will have a need for a specific type of student housing and I don't want to give up my job and apartment or pay my semesters tuition until it is confirmed that I have student housing locked in.

Thanks

cavalier1138

Re: Law School Student Housing and Timing

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:24 am

This is entirely school-specific. You'll need to check with whatever office (Student Affairs?) handles housing at your school.

But since it doesn't sound like you're going to law school yet, this probably shouldn't be your focus at the moment.

johndooley

Bronze

Re: Law School Student Housing and Timing

Post by johndooley » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:02 pm

Inhousefuture wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:02 pm
Hello, for the purpose of obtaining law school student housing:

1. How soon after getting accepted to a law school and accepting the acceptance, do you apply for student housing? Do you have to make a seat deposit first, pay the full semesters tuition, move to the school etc?

2. If you need a specific type of student housing, is it possible to find out if you will get it before taking any of these steps: Telling your current landlord, you are moving, paying your seat deposit, taking out your loan for tuition, etc?

In other words, I will have a need for a specific type of student housing and I don't want to give up my job and apartment or pay my semesters tuition until it is confirmed that I have student housing locked in.

Thanks
1. School-dependent. Most do not offer student housing.

2. You can probably negotiate through the Admissions Office. It would help us help you if you specified what sort of housing you require.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”