Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Different
100%
Equal
No votes

Total votes: 1

APerez114

New

Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Post by APerez114 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi! I'm interested in JD-MBA but I'm not sure if I will learn the same about business (finance concentration) as in the MBA.
Are there less business subjects taught in the JD-MBA?

It will the the same to have a JD-MBA or MBA to break into IB after some years in Big Law?

Thanks a lot!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:05 pm

APerez114 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:42 pm
Hi! I'm interested in JD-MBA but I'm not sure if I will learn the same about business (finance concentration) as in the MBA.
Are there less business subjects taught in the JD-MBA?
This is going to depend on the school and probably on your personal course selections but it's safe to say that a JD/MBA will give you less time to spend on law classes than a "pure" JD and less time for business classes than a pure MBA.
It will the the same to have a JD-MBA or MBA to break into IB after some years in Big Law?
JD/MBA and MBA will provide similar networking opportunities straight out of school—the main problem with the former is that the JD doesn't add very much for a business career (and the MBA doesn't add very much for a legal career).

Pivoting to IB after several years in biglaw, or vice versa, is not something I'd plan on. It's possible, but unlikely, regardless of whether you have an MBA. And you'll have to take a step back in professional development. Better to pick a path now and stick to it.

ninthcircuitattorney

New

Re: Are There Any Diferentes Between MBA And JD-MBA Business Core Courses Content And Electives?

Post by ninthcircuitattorney » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:20 pm

The poster above is absolutely right that an MBA, even from a top school, will not add much to a legal career.
I got an MBA from a top 10 school and legal recruiters don't care at all. They would be more interested in a tax llm.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”