Should I leave law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BasedLexLuthor1234

New

Should I leave law school?

Post by BasedLexLuthor1234 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:02 pm

Hello,

I have a question, and I need some solid advice (from law people, haha).

I went to a TTT law school. Didn't like it, just got done with our first semester, my grades are 'alright'(B+ Torts, C Civ pro, B in contracts, LRWA C+ etc...). I like law, but I hate the way they teach it(doesn't everyone).

But I have an opportunity, because of my prior profession (worked in entertainment field, etc...) where they want me to either leave and go to law school abroad(Canada, UK, etc...) for a 2 year LLB, or else I can just be 'law apprenticeship' (ala "Kim Kardashian") under a very high up attorney in the field (Worked 25 years + in international business, IP law, trademark, Yale graduate etc...) type guy. He'll teach me his law, and sponsor me for the next 3 years until I take the bar, no debt, and when I'm done, I'll know how to do 'all that type of law' with the experience and his connects.

My question is, is that better than staying here at a TTT3 school? Going into huge debt..(our school is 60-70k a year) and knowing that even if I was top of the class, I would never get a job or be mentored under someone of this caliber(Usually ivy league people, only take on other 'ivy league' people, and those circles) etc... I just would like any advice for those in the working world.

It's hard to talk to many lawyers about this that are 'in the paper chase' of law school, because they'll defend the route of being 280k in debt, like it's a badge of honor...(I don't think it is, debt is not fun). But for you working professionals, any advice? What would you do?

(This is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity, and my trajectory to graduate is '3 years +' anyway (I was a part time student) and this route seems, just way more practical, but thanks for any advice).

Also please be harsh, to the point and brutal. I need to know the pro's and cons, or issues of either paths.

1. Staying at the TTT3 school, and the debt, but having a 'school name'.
2. Leaving to go to the abroad school, and coming back (I plan to do international business and trademark law, IP etc...)
3. Doing the Kim Kardashian "Law Apprenticeship" route with the 25 year + ivy league, big law guy, etc...(at his firm).

So, please give me any advice, thanks in advance.

cavalier1138

Re: Should I leave law school?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Don't stay at your current school at that debt level.

I honestly can't understand what you think your potential practice will look like, but I think the apprenticeship route makes the most sense for you. There's almost no value to getting an LLB if you want to practice in the US, and if you ended up at a T3 school without a scholarship, I'm assuming you can't go to a top-tier Canadian program. If your mentor is willing to take you through the apprenticeship process and hire you after that, then you will not have any better (or really, any other) opportunities to enter that practice area.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”