Experiences helpful for Biglaw for public interest-leaning student Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
yoon402

New

Experiences helpful for Biglaw for public interest-leaning student

Post by yoon402 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 pm

Hello TLS! 8)

I’m an incoming law student with public interest background, and very little experience in the corporate world. However, for personal reasons, my goal is to land a Biglaw associate job.

Before school starts this fall, or evening during school, are there any knowledge or certifications I can get in corporate law to make myself more competitive? :o I understand grades are most important and I should join Law Review and moot court-type activities if possible, but those don’t seem like things I can prepare in advance. Is there anything I can do prior to starting law school that may help? (I am currently doing industry search so I will have more to talk about during the interview.)

Thank you!

cavalier1138

Re: Experiences helpful for Biglaw for public interest-leaning student

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:59 am

Where are you going to school (tier is fine)? That is going to have far more of an effect on your ability to get a biglaw job than anything you've mentioned.

There is absolutely no point in trying to learn "corporate stuff" to try and make yourself an attractive candidate. The only thing you might need to do is focus on getting a non-PI summer job as a 1L to avoid the appearance of being a flight risk (i.e. you need to show them you're not going to jump ship as soon as the local chapter of the ACLU has an opening).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 am

School is the top determiner of biglaw. I also don’t think firms give the slightest shit about what you do 1L summer as long as it’s a legal job.

yoon402

New

Post by yoon402 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 am

Thank you! Going to a T6 school.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:46 am

yoon402 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 am
Thank you! Going to a T6 school.
Then you'll be fine.
Dcc617 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:26 am
I also don’t think firms give the slightest shit about what you do 1L summer as long as it’s a legal job.
I generally agree, but I think there is a bit of an exception for people with resumes that scream "public interest." That can create the impression that someone is going to bolt as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”