Public defender offer Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
petar993

New

Public defender offer

Post by petar993 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 am

Hey guys, i applied for a public defender office 2 mo th ago and since I haven’t got any answers from them i decided to accept another job a month ago. Tonight i got an email from public defender saying i am accepted for their position, but i dont know what should i do. Can you tell me is it better to go and work for public defender or stay with small immigration law office, what do you think? What would be better on a long run?
I am 1L

nixy

Gold

Re: Public defender offer

Post by nixy » Mon May 03, 2021 8:16 am

What do you actually want to do in the long run? Is the immigration firm paying you?

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Mon May 03, 2021 9:04 am

Without knowing specifics about your career trajectory, here’s how I see it:

1. If you want to do criminal work, go with the PD.

2. If you want to do immigration work, go with immigration.

3. If you want to do something else entirely, then consider the practical benefits of each (e.g., what kinds of experiences you would have) and which you’d enjoy more. If you want to go, for example, the firm route, then you really only need some kind of legal experience your 1L summer.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 31, 2021 4:53 pm

PD & Immigration law are related in the sense that many immigration (deportation type) cases arise out of a criminal case involving an undocumented individual.

Is the PD office well funded ?

What are your career goals with respect to law ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”