FedSoc Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thegreatspoopy

New

FedSoc Question

Post by thegreatspoopy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:18 pm

Hello! I will probably be going to HLS this fall, and I really want to clerk for a federal judge. I'm also a conservative. Does anyone have a handle on how easy/hard it is to clerk for a conservative judge if you join the FedSoc at a T3? Thank you.

cavalier1138

Re: FedSoc Question

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:45 pm

I'm going to preemptively ask everyone to be kind to the OP and assume that they are asking for genuine responses, not for critiques of their political ideology.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:03 pm

It will be slightly easier than getting one with a liberal judge on the high-end. I still think at the district court level (and all levels for that matter) you'll need decent grades (although, maybe not stellar ones). I think it'll be better to talk to your fed soc group at H and they'll be able to point you in the right direction and let you know chances on grades / journals etc. Regardless, liberal or conservative, coming from HYS, you'll have an edge- and if you're willing to go back to your home market, or somewhere less competitive, you'll stand a better chance.
Best of luck.

stupididiot

New

Post by stupididiot » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:47 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:03 pm
It will be slightly easier than getting one with a liberal judge on the high-end. I still think at the district court level (and all levels for that matter) you'll need decent grades (although, maybe not stellar ones). I think it'll be better to talk to your fed soc group at H and they'll be able to point you in the right direction and let you know chances on grades / journals etc. Regardless, liberal or conservative, coming from HYS, you'll have an edge- and if you're willing to go back to your home market, or somewhere less competitive, you'll stand a better chance.
Best of luck.
Depending on your pre-law school credentials, this might vastly overestimate the difficulty. I know fedsoc people at H with ivy league UG who had COA clerkships before grades came out for first semester of 1L. So if you have a strong UG pedigree, there are (COA) judges who will hire you just based on UG pedigree + harvard law + fedsoc/conservative outlook. If you have state school undergrad, then your grades will probably matter more.

In any case, I dont understand the question. Try to get the best grades you can and join and be present in FedSoc. You shouldnt study less just because someone tells you its 'easier' to get a clerkship or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”