How are male earrings viewed? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
grandedestroyer

New

How are male earrings viewed?

Post by grandedestroyer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:54 pm

How are they viewed in the legal profession generally? Would there be instances where it would be ok for me to wear my earrings?

cavalier1138

Re: How are male earrings viewed?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:49 am

I think it depends on the nature of the earring (i.e. big difference between a 3-inch gauge and a barely-noticeable stud) and what kind of legal work you'd be doing. They would be absolutely inappropriate in court, but whether they were appropriate in client-facing settings, etc., would be entirely situation-specific.

grandedestroyer

New

Post by grandedestroyer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:30 am

I'm talking about studs only, I don't plan on getting gauges. Would studs be inappropriate in court as well? Can anyone speak to how large firms or the federal government would view them? I imagine smaller firms and probably judges are going to be a bit more varied.

showusyourtorts

New

Post by showusyourtorts » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:52 am

I feel like the answer is definitely going to be that it's practice group specific.

With that said, maybe there's a common enough answer to guess how the wind may blow in your particular office...

FWIW, as a data point, having a male associate wear stud earrings (even if just worn within the office, and not worn when meeting with clients/ going to court) would probably be pretty scandalous within my BL firm. Even if not banned/discouraged in a formal capacity, I could see it informally affecting your reputation within the group, especially with some of the older/more stuffy partners. I'd say my office is relatively informal in terms of centralized leadership, and is certainly not known for being a white shoe firm.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:10 pm

Yeah, biglaw and fedgov are going to be the least likely areas to approve of any kind of earring for men. I was thinking more along the lines of "cool" NGOs and public defender offices with looser rules about what constitutes "professional appearance."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

showusyourtorts

New

Post by showusyourtorts » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:10 pm
Yeah, biglaw and fedgov are going to be the least likely areas to approve of any kind of earring for men. I was thinking more along the lines of "cool" NGOs and public defender offices with looser rules about what constitutes "professional appearance."
Oh! Yes, I totally missed that. I should have started my response with "In biglaw, the answer is going to be practice group specific."

I'm not really sure, but I'd imagine/at least hope that the vast majority of NGO-type jobs have no issue with it.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:38 pm

FWIW, I’ve never seen earrings on a male fedgov attorney. (At least, not one who ever has to go to court.)

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:21 am

I know a guy who had I'm guessing 0 Gauge earrings. He did mostly criminal defense at a small shop. He also joked about how he'd sometimes be mistaken for his clients.

Dmcnabb536

New

Post by Dmcnabb536 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 am

I work in FedGov and want to help ease your concern. I wear studs and I’ve seen several other male attorneys wear earrings at work. I could see how it might depend on the office, but probably a non-issue with most agencies. I have never worn earrings in court. I’d second that Big law probably depends on the practice group.

ariannacraig

New

Post by ariannacraig » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:02 pm

Hello. I am new here. What do you guys think of men with earrings? Like diamond studs?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”