Opportunities to play a musical instrument during Law School Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Inhousefuture

New

Opportunities to play a musical instrument during Law School

Post by Inhousefuture » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:22 pm

Hello,

Just wondering, if one is interested in playing a musical instrument during law school for recreation, stress relief, opportunities for small scale performance, etc, are there at any law schools:

1. Internal music groups. I.E do any law schools have jazz bands, rock bands, string quartets, etc that students participate in?

2. Opportunities to participate in general university music opportunities if there are no law school specific opportunities. For instance, can you participate in the undergrad music ensembles, take lessons or cross-register at the music school?

Would appreciate any insights.

Thanks

cavalier1138

Re: Opportunities to play a musical instrument during Law School

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:55 am

Inhousefuture wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:22 pm
1. Internal music groups. I.E do any law schools have jazz bands, rock bands, string quartets, etc that students participate in?
Possibly. If not, I'm sure you could try organizing one.
Inhousefuture wrote:
2. Opportunities to participate in general university music opportunities if there are no law school specific opportunities. For instance, can you participate in the undergrad music ensembles, take lessons or cross-register at the music school?
I imagine this is entirely school-dependent, but scheduling would be very difficult, especially during 1L.

Obligatory note: This shouldn't even enter into the equation when choosing a school. If you want to play music on the side, you can make your own opportunities for that. You don't need to have a school that provides specific outlets for your art.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:33 pm

Yes, I did jam sessions with quite a few of my friends during 1L and there was a music event for us to perform at via the law school and a ton via the UG. Also, depending on your city, you can always find stuff.
I highly recommend playing around some (we used to meet like once every two weeks to just chill and jam). Don't make a daily event out of it, as you really need time to study, but taking an hour or two a week to relax and play with some folks is totally fine and you'll find people at any shcools.

MrAdultman

New

Post by MrAdultman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:18 pm

Inhousefuture wrote:
Hello,

Just wondering, if one is interested in playing a musical instrument during law school for recreation, stress relief, opportunities for small scale performance, etc, are there at any law schools:

Would appreciate any insights.

Thanks
Totally school specific, but I doubt there are standing ensembles at most law schools. But lots of schools do a Law Revue musical every year, and some put together live bands for it. Good outlet for playing as well as finding other musicians to jam with occasionally.

I recommend poking around the music school of wherever you end up (looks like UCLA or USC?) -- those schools have killer music programs, but there might be lower-level ensembles or non-music-major ensembles you can join. For schools with small music programs, they might have once-a-week ensembles that law students can join (my undergrad did). If not, still see if you can get access to the lockers/practice rooms; it's pretty common for schools to let students from non-music schools get keys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”