Firm Paying for Tax LLM: Negotiating Advice Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
legalfella12

New

Firm Paying for Tax LLM: Negotiating Advice

Post by legalfella12 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:38 pm

I'll be graduating law school in May and will be attending either GT, NYU, or Florida's Tax LLM program next fall. I've worked with a firm and will be continuing this professional relationship next summer in STS (M&A, TP, SALT, or Int'l).

The firm is in the Big Four, BDO, Grant Thornton, RSM. They will be negotiating starting salary once I finish the tax llm program as well as whether to pay for the llm program with a stipulation that I work for them after graduating. To clarify, the negotiations will occur this summer prior to the tax llm program.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'd be grateful for any advice. I want to be better prepared on how to negotiate. It would be amazing to know what mid-size and Big Four firms are doing in the market (or have done in the last 5-10 years) specifically in regard to starting salary and llm compensation (tuition, stipend, etc).

I really appreciate the help in advance. Feel free to DM me if you'd rather communicate that way.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Firm Paying for Tax LLM: Negotiating Advice

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:16 pm

Interesting situation.

Starting salaries with major accounting firms for JD/LLMs varies by market. NYC pays significantly higher than Philadelphia, Dallas, or Seattle for example.

Were you on law review or another law journal during law school ?

If so, were you published and/or an editor ?

If you prefer, it might be better to communicate via DM.

P.S. Before committing, you may want to get some suggestions/insight that I can offer regarding the 3 programs & employers.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”