Patent Bar Eligibility under Category A Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hwangbo86

New

Patent Bar Eligibility under Category A

Post by hwangbo86 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi, I am really confused that whether I am eligible for the patent bar under category A. I have an undergrad degree in Electronical and Electronic Engineering from a foreign university. The reason I am having a little hard time to figure out is that the listed degree under Category A only has "Electrical Engineering." I can guess that my degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering is probably the same as the one from Category A. But since the name of the degree is somewhat different, I am really worried about it.
Anyone has experienced a similar situation?

Edited: I was actually able to talk to USPTO and asked the same question, but the only thing they told me is that just submit the application then they will let me know after they reviewed it. But my ultimate question was whether the name of the degree must match with the one listed under Category A like word to word.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: Patent Bar Eligibility under Category A

Post by dvlthndr » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 pm

For U.S. schools there are several degrees that are “close enough” and don’t cause problems (e.g., some schools give degrees in “Electrical and Computer Engineering” that pass muster under category A).

For foreign schools I don’t know how they would approach it. My guess is there will be no problem if your program was ABET certified.

You’ve already spoken to the USPTO, and you aren’t going to get a better answer from a random online forum.

redtalun

New

Re: Patent Bar Eligibility under Category A

Post by redtalun » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:46 am

hwangbo86 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:31 pm
Hi, I am really confused that whether I am eligible for the patent bar under category A. I have an undergrad degree in Electronical and Electronic Engineering from a foreign university. The reason I am having a little hard time to figure out is that the listed degree under Category A only has "Electrical Engineering." I can guess that my degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering is probably the same as the one from Category A. But since the name of the degree is somewhat different, I am really worried about it.
Anyone has experienced a similar situation?

Edited: I was actually able to talk to USPTO and asked the same question, but the only thing they told me is that just submit the application then they will let me know after they reviewed it. But my ultimate question was whether the name of the degree must match with the one listed under Category A like word to word.
This question comes up from time to time. The only way to know for sure whether you qualify under Category A is to pay the application fee and have your credentials reviewed by OED. My degree was in "electrical and computer engineering" from a US university and I qualified under Category A.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”