Job Prospects for International Students Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DDDanny

New

Job Prospects for International Students

Post by DDDanny » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:45 pm

Hi there, just want to ask some law school alumni what are the realistic job prospects for international students out of law school? Is it BigLaw or bust to get H1B? I am not likely to get into T14 due to my low GPA, so Biglaw doesn't seem like a realistic option for me to bank on. What are your opinions? Do you see any international students from top50 non-T14 schools getting a job out of law school?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Job Prospects for International Students

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:42 pm

This is a really late response, so I apologize, but hopefully it'll help folks in the future.

It is really rough for international students who don't go to a T14 (maybe adding Vandy, UT, UCLA, WashU to that list). You really need biglaw. There were a couple international students at my T1 regional, none received an offer stateside that I'm aware of. All have headed back to their home countries except for one, who is now pursuing her llm in hopes of getting something in NY. I wouldn't recommend international folks go to anything below the T14, and maybe a choice few in the T20, as they really need biglaw for visa sponsorship. There are some exceptions to this, but I'd really suggest only going if you get into one of those schools.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”