UChicago GPA calculated for transfer? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
carebear969

New

UChicago GPA calculated for transfer?

Post by carebear969 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi friends of the internet,

I know this is a really specific question, but it’s mostly hypothetical.

So if someone were to transfer from UChicago, how would their numerical grade that ranges between 155-186 be converted into the standard gpa?

It seems like on the page explaining their grading system, they don’t include + or -’s

Ex. Would a 180-186 that’s considered an “A” just be counted as a 4.0 no matter if you have a 180 or a 186?

Link for reference:
https://registrar.uchicago.edu/records/ ... ng-system/

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: UChicago GPA calculated for transfer?

Post by decimalsanddollars » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:43 pm

In the past 5 years, a total of 8 students have transferred out of UChicago Law. Generally, those students transferred to YSH, and a couple transferred to Columbia. I don't know how likely you are to find these 8 people in the wild, and I doubt anyone else could answer your specific question.

Hypothetically, I would imagine each reviewing school has a method for converting UChicago grades or numerical averages to a normal 4-point GPA. I wouldn't be surprised if different schools had different methods. I wouldn't be surprised if an A was counted as 4.0 regardless of how high an A it is; also wouldn't be surprised if the receiving school converted the aggregate numerical grade to a 4-point GPA rather than converting individual grades and re-aggregating. I would be VERY surprised if this made a difference in transfer outcomes at all because the differences in calculation would produce only marginally different outputs.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: UChicago GPA calculated for transfer?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:48 pm

(scooped by decimals)

I assume just converted to A, B, C and then averaged from there, personally. No individual school is ever going to have more than 1-2 transfers from Chicago so we'll never really know for sure.

From an applicant's point of view, doesn't really matter either way. UChicago is a known quantity for the other schools you'd be transferring to (presumably a different T14 in almost all cases) and they'll focus on class rank and letters of recommendation.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”