Student organization for centrists/moderates/"third way" folks? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
blahblah5577

New

Student organization for centrists/moderates/"third way" folks?

Post by blahblah5577 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:02 pm

I didn't know where to post this—mods, please feel free to move this topic to a more appropriate thread.

Here's my question: I recently transferred to a CCN school, and I am interested in becoming involved with a student organization that hosts timely legal and political lectures and/or debates. Recently, I’ve become interested in the issue of free speech on academic campuses. Looking through my school’s list of student organizations, the only options I’m seeing either fall hard right (the Federalist Society) or hard left (the ACLU). Where do the “third way”/Pete Buttigieg/Sam Harris/Dave Rubin/non-progressive types go to hear civil discourse between progressives and conservatives on law school campuses? I’m willing to bring a student chapter of a centrist/moderate/free speech organization to campus if one doesn’t already exist at my law school.

ksm6969

Bronze

Re: Student organization for centrists/moderates/"third way" folks?

Post by ksm6969 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:59 pm

blahblah5577 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:02 pm
I didn't know where to post this—mods, please feel free to move this topic to a more appropriate thread.

Here's my question: I recently transferred to a CCN school, and I am interested in becoming involved with a student organization that hosts timely legal and political lectures and/or debates. Recently, I’ve become interested in the issue of free speech on academic campuses. Looking through my school’s list of student organizations, the only options I’m seeing either fall hard right (the Federalist Society) or hard left (the ACLU). Where do the “third way”/Pete Buttigieg/Sam Harris/Dave Rubin/non-progressive types go to hear civil discourse between progressives and conservatives on law school campuses? I’m willing to bring a student chapter of a centrist/moderate/free speech organization to campus if one doesn’t already exist at my law school.
ACLU is not hard left, but rather free speech absolutists. They represented Sean Hannity (pro-bono) in a lawsuit against UCSB back in the day. More recently, they represented Milo Yiannapouolus against UC Berkeley. This stance generally puts them against whoever is in power at a certain time (they sued Obama administration when he was in power). If you are interested in the issue of free speech on campus, ACLU or FIRE is probably your go-to.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”