Software engineer to attorney? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
discocow

New

Software engineer to attorney?

Post by discocow » Mon May 18, 2020 1:14 am

I am a software engineer, graduated last year and joined a company in California the same year. Just about a year into the job, I seriously consider that being a software engineer might not be something that I want to be doing for the rest of my life. I developed an interest in practicing law.

Just curious to find out who else had similar experience (technical engineer -> JD student)? How is law school working for you and how do you plan your career path?

Sackboy

Silver

Re: Software engineer to attorney?

Post by Sackboy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:47 pm

What do you want to do with your law degree?

discocow

New

Post by discocow » Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:47 pm
What do you want to do with your law degree?
The firm I work for is a leader in the filed, it holds a ton of patents and has a lot of international business, which spark my interest in IP & international trade laws.

nolifeloser

New

Post by nolifeloser » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

I wouldn't do it unless you are comfortable with lying, smoke and mirrors and scribing. If you're a bad or mediocre software engineer and so won't advance further in your field, it might make sense.

discocow

New

Post by discocow » Tue May 19, 2020 3:25 pm

nolifeloser wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm
I wouldn't do it unless you are comfortable with lying, smoke and mirrors and scribing. If you're a bad or mediocre software engineer and so won't advance further in your field, it might make sense.
OK that sounds very scary. What motivates you to draw that conclusion?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:29 pm

discocow wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:25 pm
nolifeloser wrote:
Lack of knowledge of the legal field or bitterness over losing a case.

Either way, ignore that kind of hyperbolic bullshit. If you're genuinely interested in practicing law, go to law school. Just make sure that you really are interested in legal practice. Your initial post makes it clear that you're still trying to figure out where your interests lie, which is fine. But a JD is only useful for a legal career; it's not the generalist's degree it once was.

nolifeloser

New

Post by nolifeloser » Tue May 19, 2020 4:16 pm

discocow wrote:
nolifeloser wrote:
Well you got your answer. Definitely do not go to law school if that was your first reaction. Watch some trials or read briefs in a case to see how lawyers do those things.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm

nolifeloser wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:16 pm
discocow wrote:
nolifeloser wrote:
Well you got your answer. Definitely do not go to law school if that was your first reaction. Watch some trials or read briefs in a case to see how lawyers do those things.
You sound like this guy.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 am

nixy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm
nolifeloser wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:16 pm
discocow wrote:
nolifeloser wrote:
You sound like this guy.
That was my first thought, too. But unless he's extremely dedicated to hiding his identity online, it's not the same person.

Same sophomoric views, but not the same person.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

asdfmailinator

New

Post by asdfmailinator » Thu May 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Don't do this unless you are very certain you want to be a lawyer and are financially comfortable. I made this decision a few years back with a clear understanding of what I was getting into from first-hand observations and also the financial trade-off (nearly a 7-figure swing for the three years of law school alone). Even with that level of certainty and reasonably good outcomes (enjoyed school life at one of Y/S/H, good grades, clerkship and decent job, still excited to be a lawyer), I occasionally waiver and wonder if I made the right choice.

discocow

New

Post by discocow » Sat May 23, 2020 7:27 pm

asdfmailinator wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:11 pm
Don't do this unless you are very certain you want to be a lawyer and are financially comfortable. I made this decision a few years back with a clear understanding of what I was getting into from first-hand observations and also the financial trade-off (nearly a 7-figure swing for the three years of law school alone). Even with that level of certainty and reasonably good outcomes (enjoyed school life at one of Y/S/H, good grades, clerkship and decent job, still excited to be a lawyer), I occasionally waiver and wonder if I made the right choice.
I do to want to practice laws. Even if i make up my mind to go to law school, it would take a few years for me to save up some money.

What makes you to wonder if you made the right choice?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue May 26, 2020 10:23 pm

discocow wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:27 pm
asdfmailinator wrote:
I do to want to practice laws. Even if i make up my mind to go to law school, it would take a few years for me to save up some money.

Work life balance tends to be worse than what you see in software engineering. It's hard to "coast" as a mediocre lawyer while making a good living. I know plenty of software engineers who are living that rest and vest lifestyle. I don't know any lawyers who are doing the same. There are exceptions, of course, but on average, lawyers work a lot.

Also, law school is really expensive and a really long time. You'll have to put off buying a house/having kids for 3 years (or longer) because you'll either be in school or paying off student loans.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 am

You are decidedly moving in the wrong direction.

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 am

discocow wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:27 pm
asdfmailinator wrote:

You should move to another software company and figure out whether you hate the job/company or hate the career.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”