BigLaw Associate & Army Reserve JAG: AMA Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
blink

Bronze

BigLaw Associate & Army Reserve JAG: AMA

Post by blink » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 pm

This board was super helpful back in the day, so I figured I'd be happy to answer some questions if folks have any.

MrLions

New

Re: BigLaw Associate & Army Reserve JAG: AMA

Post by MrLions » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:48 pm

How’d you get around to asking the firm if you could join the reserves? When did you do your military training? Thanks!

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:22 pm

MrLions wrote:How’d you get around to asking the firm if you could join the reserves? When did you do your military training? Thanks!
Didn't need to! I was already in the reserves when I was doing OCI, so the firms knew what they were getting into. I went to JAOBC once I was already at the firm--I took leave.

rgwen

New

Post by rgwen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Prior active duty, current reservist here. Do you think being a reservist hurt you at OCI? I know I can handle juggling both commitments as I do it in banking at the moment. However, I'm concerned about heading into interviews and employers thinking the commitment would be too much or that you would bail. Did you undersell it or run with it during interviews?

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:45 pm

rgwen wrote:Prior active duty, current reservist here. Do you think being a reservist hurt you at OCI? I know I can handle juggling both commitments as I do it in banking at the moment. However, I'm concerned about heading into interviews and employers thinking the commitment would be too much or that you would bail. Did you undersell it or run with it during interviews?
Great question. I definitely got a sense that some firms weren't keen on having someone with outside obligations. But I think that's probably balanced by the fact that a lot of firms view servicemembers/vets as having a lot of desirable characteristics. All in all I'd say that my performance at OCI was probably true to what my grades/school would've predicted. And while I didn't undersell it, I did use the phrase "one weekend a month and two weeks a year" a lot. If I were you, I'd stress the fact that I'd done it before in banking and my work ethic/discipline will allow me to manage just fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rgwen

New

Post by rgwen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Okay, that definitely makes sense. I agree that clarifying the level of commitment required could ease some fears. When I was recruiting for banking, I also let them know that I no longer had a service commitment and could also bail if it began to overwhelm my work life.

rc8

New

Post by rc8 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 am

How was law school while in the reserves? Was it hard to balance drill and school work? Did annual training interfere with summer internships?

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:38 am

Have you done any mobilizations/deployments as a Reserve JAG? Do you think it’s feasible in biglaw, and how long do you think the firm would put up with it before they found a creative way to push you out, USERRA notwithstanding?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”