How are you able to write a lot within limited time for law school tests? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CLS2020

New

How are you able to write a lot within limited time for law school tests?

Post by CLS2020 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:45 pm

I'm not in law school yet, but I have been talking to some of my friends who are currently in law school. I've heard that law school tests consist of you writing about 15 pages within 4-5 hours. That seems super daunting to me because in undergrad, if you are to write 15 pages, you are given at least a week to do so. I can type fast, but I do need time to think thoroughly my ideas enough to put them on paper, which would make writing a 15 page-test in 4-5 hours nearly impossible for me. Do you have any advice?

nixy

Gold

Re: How are you able to write a lot within limited time for law school tests?

Post by nixy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:51 pm

You practice issue spotting within the topic enough that you don’t need time to formulate your thoughts, you know what you can/will say about certain kinds of issues. Law schools exams aren’t really creative.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Only some exams require you to churn out that much text, and those exams tend to be very, very badly written due to how quickly everyone is trying to get their thoughts on paper. The objective of racehorse exams is to identify and analyze as many issues as possible, not to write a decent essay.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 am

I wouldn't worry too much about this pre-law school. No one starts law school knowing how to write a terrific law school exam. Well into 1L, most of my classmates - me included - had zero idea what a law school exam would even look like. You're already way ahead of the curve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”